Subscribe
    Feb 27, 2010, 2:22 AM - Problems with pepakura #1

Recently I built the basic N7 helmet from Mass Effect 2 in pep. the initial build for some reason turned out crooked even though i tightly bent all the fold lines, in the right direction, with super glue, and taking all precautions in between.

Has anyone else encountered this problem when building a symetrical object in pepakura? could this be from it being left sitting a certain way inbetween sessions of building it such as right side up on the non reinforced neck causing warping?

I tried to realign the warped spots and it only made other areas worse....I have a feeling that this isn't going to be easy to combat. Any suggestions? pics incoming
    Feb 28, 2010, 1:35 AM - Re: Problems with pepakura #2

Hmmm did you build the version which Belakor added support struts to? If not, then that would probably help. you can find it here http://www.4shared.com/file/22353585...th_suppor.html
    Feb 28, 2010, 5:01 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #3

nope, and thank you! I will give this a try for sure.

here are the pics i promised
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me2_3.jpg 
Views:	651 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	41735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME2_11.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	41736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME2_10.jpg 
Views:	1158 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	41737  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me2_5.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	41738   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME2_8.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	41739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME2_13.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	41740  

Name:	ME2_1.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	41741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me2_2.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	41742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME2_6.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	41743  

Name:	ME2_9.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	41744   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME2_7.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	41746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me2_4.jpg 
Views:	458 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	41747  

Name:	ME2_12.JPG 
Views:	375 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	41748  
    Feb 28, 2010, 5:47 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #4

Problem A appears that you glued the tabs on the outside. It really doesn't do much, but that could account for some of the warping. It is harder to see if the alignment is correct. That's my best guess. Try re-pepping it. What lb of cardstock are you using?
    Feb 28, 2010, 7:20 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #5

110lb. i tried gluing the tabs on the outside to try and keep from having all kinds of little indentations from them in the Rondo. but yes you have a point. will use the 2nd file with supports as well as tabs on the inside this time around.
    Feb 28, 2010, 7:57 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #6

110 lb... then you're covered on that front. And once you put padding in there, are you going to nocice the indentations? Plus, it takes about 10 mintes of sanding to smmoth that out anyway. Good luck with it!
    Mar 1, 2010, 9:44 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #7

Not every line needs to be folded. If the part has a gentle curve, don't fold there. The majority of warping issues is caused by too many folds. Reduce the threshold for "hide almost flat folding lines" in settings-other settings-line style. Reduce it to about 165 and you will have a much smoother model and will experience less warping. You will still need to fold some of the tabs, but you will like the result.
    Mar 2, 2010, 12:42 AM - Re: Problems with pepakura #8

I will be sure to follow your advice on that one. Hopefully the fewer folds I have the less filling with bondo I will have to do as well! that should save me some cash.
    Jul 16, 2010, 9:56 AM - Re: Problems with pepakura #9

A couple If things I have found and the preceeding advice is excellent. Dungbeetle is clearly a master -

1 - Not critically bending on fold lines but gently bending in the direction of the fold.

The reason I say this is that unless there is a specific bend instead of a curve, when you come to do the assembley, if you glue the tabs one by one and alternate left to right from a centre reference point, the natural tension in the card pulls things which creates a tension in the model. This helps tension the shape. You can also use allignment marks to keep the assemble even. (This worked very well when I assembled Skips Royal Guard and worked from the join line down the back of the helmet. The build was really smooth and contoured, not faceted. It will still require a bit of forming to get it perfect though which is why I'm now practicing with something a bit easier to get my glassing up to speed first.)

2 - If you're doing an assembley job of pre shaped components, use a partially inflated balloon to give shape as well.

Again, you can pre stress shapes and then hold them together over a former. This method worked very well when I did an assembley job on Dungbeetles Iron Man helmet. I then glued the corresponding flanges together giving excellent structure, shape and balance to the build.

Plus both the Iron Man and Royal Guard lids are excellent bases to work from. That helps a lot.

One point to note from fibreglassing around the inside of these flanges is to MAKE SURE YOU DONT TRY AND GLASS MAT OVER A 90 DEGREE BEND! I tried to glass mat over the joined inner bits and ended up with lifted glass mat and voids underneath. I should have pre formed the glass mat bits better to fit in between the raised portions. Project scrapped! The paper build was a piece of cake though

I hope this is of assistance and isn't too late. Hopefully it will help someone.

Good luck and enjoy. I find pepakura quite theraputic
  10. Jul 16, 2010, 8:30 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #10

hey do you guys know what i sould do i made a pepakura gun and i want it to be hard what sould i do cast it or what i've never made pepakura weapons before
  11. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jul 20, 2010, 1:18 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #11

my problem is i cant find any for a mac...
  12. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jun 27, 2012, 11:19 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #12

Quote corby said: View Post
    Hmmm did you build the version which Belakor added support struts to? If not, then that would probably help. you can find it here mass_effect_helmet_with supports_fixed by belakor_unfolded by bollomonkey.pdo - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
    do you have a link to the full helmet or both files?
  13. Sep 27, 2012, 11:41 AM - Re: Problems with pepakura #13

Quote CT-1127/549 said: View Post
    Unfortunately Pepakura does not have a Mac version, and as far as I can tell they have no plans to make one. However I have run across a few people who will convert a pep file to a pdf for mac users.
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Apr 24, 2014, 9:27 PM - Re: Problems with pepakura #14

Quote CT-1127/549 said: View Post
    I had the same problem and almost gave up on using pepakura. I finally decided to set up a dual boot system on my mac with Bootcamp. Windows runs perfectly, and I can use pepakura with no problems at all. Give it a try.