Problem with Velcro

tubachris85x

Well-Known Hunter
I was cleaning out some suff earlier today and came across and older project which I had not finished (among the many others :rolleyes) For some remember I was making a set of chest armor for paintball, I got up to making a vest, but I grew a bit after its completion, so It didnt fit.

ANYWAYS...I had used that "industrial strength" velcro you see at craft stores and such. The armor and everything stuck fine, and I thought It was holding good. I picked it up today, I left it sitting in a corner of my room, and I notcied that the armor pieces had slide down out of place, and the velcro left a trail like a snail. This glue gunk stuff is NASTY! Got some on my favorite shirt and sticks to anything.

I am merely warning anyone, cause I never subjected the vest to any heat or what not, and this spontaneously happend. So for now on, I think that I would stilck with the snap method for anyone doing chest armor to a vest. IMO, industrial strength velcro is more like crud at this point. Im sure someone has seen this before.

By the wat, Im thinking about doing something with the armor, not sure yet..

velcrocrap003.jpg

velcrocrap004.jpg

velcrocrap005.jpg

-tubachris

Yikes!
I never use the industrial adhesive velcro on any flexible surface, only hard surfaces. I stuck some on the inside of my helmet dome to mount my hardhat liner, and it hasn't moved for 2 years.
For my vest, I "glued" on some regular (no adhesive) velcro with some of that no-sew fabric glue. It's still holding strong.

I had that exact same problem on my Jango vest. I used some GooGone stuff to kinda remove it. I really never went away. I ended up using snaps. I also had the so-called industrial velcro.

you can use industrial velcro on flexible areas just fine.I use it on the soft backing that i use on my armor.the trick is, and I sound like a broken record, spread a thin layer of goop adhesive on the sticky side ,apply it to the object and let it sit for 24 hours.
The goop makes it weatherproof, and remains flexible ,but solid under the velcro, and it holds like a champ.I also apply velcro to the elastic straps using this method.Lot easier than sewing it on.
I use it on all the fabric that i have to apply velcro to as well as visor installations, and the majority of my metal work.Goop is king.

Last edited by a moderator:
I "glued" on some regular (no adhesive) velcro with some of that no-sew fabric glue. It's still holding strong.

In 2002 when I did my Velcro, I used the regular sew-on type. I sewed one side to my vest, and then used GOOP to glue the mating side to the inside of my chest armor.

In 5+ years and 10-15 wearings per year, the stitching has never failed, nor has the GOOP. I've worn the costume for prolonged periods in cold and heat. No problems! (y)

It seems that the problem is solely with the pre-applied Velcro adhesive. The "industrial" term refers to the Velcro itself and NOT the adhesive, apparently. I never used the industrial strength kind because you can't sew through it. ;)

I know that WD-40 works on hard surfaces, not sure if it works on clothing...:confused

But if you let vinegar stand on the cloth for about 5 or so minutes, it should come right off with a damp cloth. I dunno...you'll have to see for yourself. Good luck.:facepalm

I know that WD-40 works on hard surfaces, not sure if it works on clothing...:confused

But if you let vinegar stand on the cloth for about 5 or so minutes, it should come right off with a damp cloth. I dunno...you'll have to see for yourself. Good luck.:facepalm

Its alright, the vest didnt turn out like I wanted it too, and didnt fit, so theres no point in keeping it. Im keeping the armor pieces cause they would fit a bettter use. Im actually thinking of getting a vest already made, and attaching them with snaps. I was thinking about a batninja vest since it is boba armor.

-tubachris

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back