Polyester or styrene resin?

From
    London, UK

Polyester or styrene resin?

Ok, what do you guys use when mixing up resin? I had been under the impression it was polyester resin, but have been told in order to use it safely you need to use a full ventilation suit!

HELP!

From
    Green Bay, WI

Re: Polyester or styrene resin?

You may be thinking of urethane resin. Polyester resin is used for fiberglassing.

From
    B.C.

There is also vinylester which is suppose to be less harmfull but I have no experience with it.

From
    Gothenburgh, Sweden

mandalore697 said:
    Ok, what do you guys use when mixing up resin? I had been under the impression it was polyester resin, but have been told in order to use it safely you need to use a full ventilation suit!

HELP!
    I've used polyester resin alot (you can tell.. ) but i think that the safety information is a bit exagurated. You don't really need a full ventilation suit. But i would recommend a change of clothes becuase the smell clings to you like ciggarete smoke. But yes, you do need a ventilation MASK or atleast work outside (with mask) where there is plenty of ventilation.

*** EDIT ***

And oh yes.. you'll probably want to get golves. i have a pack of Surgical gloves at home. Works fine for me.
    Last edited by Boba Swede; Sep 29, 2005 at 12:44 PM.

mandalore697 said:

HELP!

Resin?

Resin is a very generic term. All polymers have a resin, and a catalyst. Resin can be polyester, epoxy, urethane...

The term "resin" generally applies to Urethane casting resin, but could also mean polyester fiberglassing resin.

Either way, the fumes are dangerous and precautions need to be taken. A full chemical respirator, eye protection, and gloves are a must. Wearing old clothes is a good idea, as you always get it on you.