Paintbooth tips

From
    Horten, Norway

Paintbooth tips

Hi guys. I was thinking on making a paintbooth for airbrushing, but i realized that i don't have any idea of how it will look.
    How does your paintbooth/area look like. Feel free to post pics of it here.
    Also, another thing... When painting a helmet dome, do you tilt the helmet so you paint directly at it from the front to the top of the dome? Or do you just spray over the top of the helmet when it sits upright??
    Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks

From
    Recently relocated to the Hoth-like Minnesota

Re: Paintbooth tips

Whats up brother? I am also interested in making a better version of a paint spraybooth. What I have right now is basically a large cardboard box on my patio with a round hole cut in the back. I have a small fan that fits perfectly in the hole. It sucks the fumes and excess paint out of the back of the box. On the back, I attached a smaller box with a rag in it and a hole in the top, so the rag catches excess paint and the remaining fumes release out the top. It is very crude I know, but I can paint on my deck and not get any excess anywhere and all fumes go up and away. I am also interested in other designs. I am sure someone has some great ideas on this...

From
    London, UK

Here's my just as crude solution. Basically the small box on top has a fan in that pulls air out the top of the box and down some conduit which pokes through an open window - I'm lucky enough to have a window in my loft. This is mainly for aerosol spraying and there's not actually enough space to stand up in there.

The box of Cider is of course crucial to the process.

From
    Newport News, VA

I wish I had a paint booth. I have to paint outdoors.

KoRn3000 said: View Post
    Also, another thing... When painting a helmet dome, do you tilt the helmet so you paint directly at it from the front to the top of the dome? Or do you just spray over the top of the helmet when it sits upright??
    Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks
    I usually hold my work piece as close to 90 degrees to the spray as I can. So with a heavily curved object like a helmet, that means yes, I hold it in one hand and rotate it around while I'm airbrushing.

From
    Horten, Norway

Thanks for the input guys, it is very helpful.

superjedi said: View Post

I usually hold my work piece as close to 90 degrees to the spray as I can. So with a heavily curved object like a helmet, that means yes, I hold it in one hand and rotate it around while I'm airbrushing.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

superjedi said: View Post

That's pretty much what I do, then take the acetone to my arms to get all of the paint off, haha