Paint Issue

Paint Issue

Hey everyone...

Okay, I need some help from some of you amazing artists out there...I am currently working on my Fett 2.0. I have everything done, except the cod piece and running into a problem. For some reason, the pollyscale US medium green is cracking (spidering). I have used the same primer and same silver on all other parts and have not had this issue, only with the cod piece. I have had to sand the cod piece 2x already and am at loss as to what is causing this. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Re: Paint Issue

I'd sand it all down to the bare plastic, re-prime it, re-do the silver, then spray it on very slowly. Sometimes oils from the skin lay on the armour, and cause the paint to crack. Sometimes, I take a wet soapy paper towel and clean off the armour each time before I put down a layer of paint.

GCNgamer128 said: View Post
    I'd sand it all down to the bare plastic, re-prime it, re-do the silver, then spray it on very slowly. Sometimes oils from the skin lay on the armour, and cause the paint to crack. Sometimes, I take a wet soapy paper towel and clean off the armour each time before I put down a layer of paint.
    Thanks man. I have already sanded it down to the plastic twice. I have re-primed and re-silvered it and letting it dry real well. I will try to wash it down tonight. The odd thing is that it did not crack on any of the other pieces.

Account Deactivated

Sounds like a bad batch of green, try another bottle.

Wes said: View Post
    Sounds like a bad batch of green, try another bottle.
    That was my thought as well. So, I have tried several bottles, but possibly all from the same batch. All with the same result.

I went to a hobby shop today and was able to find the US med green, hopefully this, along with a soapy wash will help.

I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    From
    Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Try painting a little bit of the Cod another colour, to see if it still cracks.

From
    SW Minnesota, very small town

Are you thinning the paint at all???? I've had that happen a few times when I thinned the paint down too much.

Jango's kid said: View Post
    Are you thinning the paint at all???? I've had that happen a few times when I thinned the paint down too much.
    Yes, I have been thinning the paint. BUT...thanks to you guys...I got the problem fixed. First, I used some 0000 steel wool and gently buffed the silver layer. I then washed it thoroughly with soapy water and dried it well. Next, I sprayed very, very light layers and slowly built them up. It worked...no more cracking...

see my thread here for progress...

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=30717