Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Official Sintra thread

Fett Gal

Merged: Re: Sintra

Finally!! Now I know what Sintra is. Thanks soooooo much for clearing this up for me. I was beginning to think they didn't sell the stuff in Indiana.
    Jango Rulz!!

Purity Knight

darthtater2 wrote:You don't need molds, all you need is a dremel, a stove, and a pot of water. Cut the piece out with the dremel, boil some water, dip the piece in for about 30 secs and form with your hands (may want to wear some gloves though). You can use the mandalorian armor blueprints for patterns.
    Ya but if i did that im afraid i might mess something up and i already have a dremel its sweet. If some one could or knows someone who could sell me a full set of Mandalorian Armor made of Sintra for less than $90 please PM me.

Purity Knight

Well im guessing since its been over a day and nobody has PM'ed me that nobody sells or knows somebody that sells full Mandalorian Armor for less than $90

From
    Kingman, Arizona, United States, 107964532558835, Kingman, Arizona

Merged: Online Sintra Source

Well, I did a search and I can't seem to find it. Someone here had bought sintra online and I remember that you could order certain size pieces and have it cut down so you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg (or head) paying for shipping. There was also a minimum $30 cutting fee but the sintra was cheap aside from that. Where was that? Help!

From
    SouthWest, Florida

Merged: Re: Online Sintra Source

I never heard of sintra before but I looked in the yellow pages under Plastics. I called up one of plastic shops and they said they carried it in just about any color and in 3mil. and 6 mil. It came in 4 by 8 foot sheets and I got one sheet in gray. I hope this helps.

gwizah_fett

Try http://www.usplastic.com,

For $22.64 I got two sheets of white sintra 24" x 48" .120 mil thickness shipped. They ship fast.

From

I know that plastics stores carry it, but none in my town do. But thanks! I was actually looking for a specific place that someone had posted and I'm hoping they post it again

Edit: Gwizah- I didn't see the cut sheets before there. I tried to order the full sheets and shipping was going to be $90! also, someone had previously told me that those were foam core and not rigid foam board and it wasn't the correct stuff. However, I just called and talked to one of their technical people and it is not foam core. So just for anyone else who needs it, it is the correct stuff and the 2'x4' sheets are $8.14 each.

gwizah_fett

Well, Im no expert but $8.14 for a 2x4 sheet of sintra sounds like a deal to me. I will order any other stuff I need from these guys from now on.

Appolo_50

What is the correct thickness to buy for the armor pieces? and what does the shipping run?

From

.120 is what I bought. Shipping depends on how many pieces you buy. Not too bad thought, maybe 12 bucks for 3 pieces.

Appolo_50

how many pieces would you suggest for the chest armor cod piece shoulder bells and knee armor?

From

I'm guessing one 2x4' sheet. I haven't made my armor yet. Anyone else on this one?

death to windu

I just received my order of sintra. They ship VERY fast.

Appolo_50

<B>Merged:</B> <B>Merged:</B> Re: sintra ?

Unless you live near or in a large city you will probably have a hard time finding it. I called probably 6-7 places they all pretty much told me I was nuts and hung up. But... there is an online source for sintra which I was very pleased to find out about (can't remember what thread its in) but the link for what you want is USPlastic.com

Oh yeah, Welcome to The Dented Helmet!!

Merged: Merged: Re: sintra ? *

Okay, I just visited Sintra central (figuratively) and found out what the main difference is between styrene and Sintra.

Sintra is a compressed expandable foam that has been pressed. that is why it cuts so easy and is great for really minor thermaforming. It lasts a lot longer and is good against bad weather (literally)

Styrene is a rolled plastic with direction (important when you are dyeing it).

I understand now a bit better. I hope you guys too (sarcasm).

gm

From
    Morgantown, WV

Sintra is also used in sign shops for making signs. It is sometimes known by other names, so ya gotta tell them what your looking for. Then buy it from them. Or like me, BEG for the scraps they have. So far, I have ZERO dollars in my armor. Just some spray paint. Good hunting!

I wouldn't exactly call where I live a "big city" but I did find a plastics supplier in the ole book that sells it by the sheet. Lucky me! Now I just have to go get some of it.

Look in the phone book for plastic suppliers and see what you get. Remember sintra is to pvc plastic as Kleenex is to tissues its a brand name, so don't just ask for sintra they may have something just the same but cheaper.

The online source posted above is also a very good alternative if you are having trouble locating a local source. It won't take much anyway to make all the armor for you and some friends and at that price, why not?

Merged: cant find sintra on the www.usplastic.com site

does sintra go by another name?

Merged: Re: cant find sintra on the www.usplastic.com site

theres something called "Polyethylene" and "Polypropylene" is it one of those 2...or neither?

From
    Adrian,MI

Here is the web site i used to find some info on sintra- http://www.alusuisse-comp.com/ I just went to the contact phone number and asked where the nearest dealer was to me, simple.

From
    Austin Texas

My local plastics company sells it as CELTEK (?sp) &#36;30 a sheet, and they even cut it into 3 pieces so I can fit it in my Honda.

Appolo_50

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...+PVC+Cut+Sheet

I do believe that is where ya get it.... Although my links never work.

thanks appolo.i was looking through the site last and i could find it...maybe i looked through too quickly...

Merged: would a 48"X48" sheet of sintra be enough for everything???

my gut tells me no

im on a budget so i dont want to buy more than i need.any suggestions?

From
    Austin Texas

Merged: Re: would a 48"X48" sheet of sintra be enough for everything???

For everything? Probably not. I made my Fett (the 1st time) with a full sheet 48"x96". That was enough for chest armor, shoulder bells, gauntlets, knees, backplate, and the jet pack. There was even enough for me to mess up quite a bit (but now I know to ALWAYS try it out on cardboard 1st!) How much is your supplier charging? For a full sheet of sintra I pay just &#36;30.