Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 26, 2002, 4:33 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Sintra #26

I bought plenty of extra for extra projects, but as long as you cut it right, you'll be ok. If you heat it, bend it, then cool it down and it doesn't look right, just heat it up again, re-bend it, and re-cool it. It's fairly "idiotproof" (I can vouche for that!).

Here are a few pics of my recently finished right shoulder bell (I posted the paints I used under the merged "paint codes" thread under "ARMOR"). This piece of Sintra took me about 2 minutes to cut with a Dremel (or less), a couple of minutes to sand, about 5 minutes to shape with a Wagner heat gun, then another 5 or 10 minutes scarring and denting it up with a Dremel to get the "battle damage". The rest of my time was spent painting it, and all told, I probably have about 9 coats of paint on it. All of the round "impact points" were made by heating the Sintra, then pushing into it with a dowel slightly smaller in diameter than the depression that I wanted to create. They range between 1/8" and 1/4" deep.

I swear it looks a lot better in person than it does here.

Sintra is your FRIEND!
  2. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 26, 2002, 4:33 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Sintra #27

I found a better way to cut Sintra last night. I don't know WHY it didn't occur to me sooner. Maybe it's because I use my Dremel for 95% of all my projects, but I didn't even think of using the band saw attachment on our Shop Smith Mark V. DUH!

A band saw gives you a clean cut, unlike a Dremel which cuts and melts your cutting line. The band saw only melts the Sintra if you leave it in one place for a long time. The band saw lets you cut compound curves and angles MUCH more easily than the Dremel will. Of course, the Dremel was about $60, and the Shop Smith... well... we won't go there.

Any band saw should give you really great results.
  3. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 26, 2002, 4:33 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Sintra #28

if your in the bay area try Tapp plastic for a 4x8 at about $40
  4. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 26, 2002, 4:33 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Sintra #29

A scrollsaw might work as well, and it's cheaper than a bandsaw.
  5. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 26, 2002, 4:33 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Sintra #30

That's a pretty good price. Materiel Graphics (website listed above) sells a 4' x 8' sheet of 3mm for $36.16. You could just about build a Clone Army Gunship with that much Sintra.

I bought 11 smaller sheets of 2mm and 3mm for about $20, and I may have bought too much. At least I'll have some left over for other projects (my wife is making a female Tusken Raider for this Halloween, and then she's working on a female Mandalorian for Celebration 3).

A scroll saw would work, though you have to be careful. A scroll saw has a down stroke and an upstroke. It only cuts on the downstroke, and when it lifts up on the upstroke, if you're not careful, it will try to lift the Sintra up with it (especially smaller thicknessess). A band saw is constantly moving down, so it doesn't lift the piece. That's really the only difference. Both are good for precision cutting.
  6. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 26, 2002, 4:33 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Sintra #31

Try a rotozip with a vinyl bit. If your going to drop alot of money into your costume, might as well get a great tool.
  7. Migrate from As You Wish
    Jun 26, 2002, 4:33 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: Sintra #32

I went to a plastics place yesterday where they sell 4x8' sheets for $24. The only thing is that the place had a $35 minimum purchase policy. They guy took me into the back where they kept everything and gave me a 4x4' sheet for free!!!

This sintra stuff is a miracle! It's easy to cut (with a dremel and cutting wheel), it sands sooooo easily, and it's very easy to shape. Thanks for all of the info guys!

Later,
    Tater
  8. Purity Knight
    Jul 11, 2002, 10:49 PM - Merged: 1/8th inch Sintra #33

Is 1/8th inch Sintra good for armor?
  9. Purity Knight
    Jul 12, 2002, 2:27 AM - Merged: Re: 1/8th inch Sintra #34

well is it good? durable?
    Jul 12, 2002, 6:02 AM - Merged: Re: 1/8th inch Sintra #35

I know that sintra is very malleable after being exposed to really hot water or temperatures. Best to go with ABS, but as far as I know, I don't know anyone who produces ABS Fett armor.
    Jul 12, 2002, 9:30 AM - Merged: Re: 1/8th inch Sintra #36

Yup... Sintra is the way to go in my opion.. I worked with a few other materials.. and was blown away with how easy Sintra was to work with.. just a little heat and your curvin'. So yah.. if you put to much heat to it... you could run into problems... but just don't ad to much then.. take your time with it.. and you'll be set. Plus its nice and light.. I made my entire gaunlets out of it.. and they are not heavy at all. good luck
  12. Purity Knight
    Jul 12, 2002, 10:41 AM - Merged: Re: 1/8th inch Sintra #37

well im not makin them but i am ordering a set of sintra armor soon
  13. Feth Milo
    Jul 13, 2002, 1:46 AM - Merged: Re: 1/8th inch Sintra #38

This is my opinion, but I think if you actually make most of your armor by hand, that is, the parts that are possible to make by hand, you'll feel better about it. There's nothing like sporting something you made yourself. Hey, who made your kneepads? .. I did. My two cents.
  14. darthtater2
    Jul 13, 2002, 3:18 PM - Merged: Re: 1/8th inch Sintra #39

Yeah, sintra is awesome. I'm making my armor from it. It is sooooo easy to work with. Boiling water heats is up enough to make it flexible, but it won't warp in a hot car or anything like that. It sands VERY easily, I've done all of my sanding by hand with a piece of sand paper. Paint sticks well to it to. It's like a miracle material.
  15. Member Since
    Jul 2002
    Jul 22, 2002, 2:03 PM - Merged: Layering sintra... #40

Can anyone help me with a good technique of layering sintra to form the gauntlets. I bought a 4x4 sheet of 6mm sintra for this as to decrease the amount of layers needed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Jul 22, 2002, 2:47 PM - Merged: Re: Layering sintra... #41

I should have some shots of mine soon done with layering sintra. The best thing to do is make a hollow box the is your base to base your gauntlet top form to. I molded a bracket of sintra around my arm to fit.... then built up on that. I used flexible plastic adhesive... bonds fairly quick. Make sure you sand each piece you build ontop of so that that glue will bond more to the coarse sintra. I used a sander / belt sander to create the shape of the tops of the gauntlets. Sure turned out better then I thought they could. but if you build a solid piece of gauntlet.. remember.. that will only create weight... so keeping the peices hollow... like I mentioned above with creating boxes to build on would be your best bet. Mine are pretty light considering.

Pics to come shortly of my entire suit so far built.
    Jul 22, 2002, 7:49 PM - Merged: Re: Layering sintra... #42

6mm? Egads! That's GOT to be difficult to bend! I guess boiling it would work. The thickest that I use is 3mm, and even with a 1000 Watt heat gun it takes some time. I thought about making gauntlets out of 2mm Sintra since it's so easy to work with, but I'm not crazy enough to use anything as thick as 6mm!

18. Fett Gal
    Jul 26, 2002, 11:33 PM - Merged: Merged: What is Sintra #43

Greetings. I'm a newbie and have been sent here for advice. I am going to make my own Jango Fett costume and I keep reading about Sintra. What in the world is Sintra? I have checked at several hardware stores in town and they've never heard of it. Are there other names for Sintra and if so, what are they? Is it a plastic or what kind of material is it? Also, any suggestions on where I should go to find it? Should I go back to a hardware store or is there another place to look? I have purchased some aluminum to use, but get the impression Sintra will be much easier to work with.

Thank you so much for your help!
    Jango Rules
  19. Member Since
    Apr 2002
    Jul 27, 2002, 12:19 AM - Merged: Merged: Re: What is Sintra #44

http://www.skaines.com/fett/

Go into the design area and then look under armor...hope it helps
  20. Purity Knight
    Jul 27, 2002, 2:00 AM - Merged: Sintra #45

Ok... im having trouble figuring out what exactly Sintra is...
    from what ive gathered its PVC Foamboard but i dont exactly understand what that is. How can it be PVC (a hard plastic)and foam (soft)? and is a full set of pre-made Mandalorian Armor made of Sintra worth $90? because thats the cheapest price i have found. Also what might i have seen that is made of Sintra?
    Jul 27, 2002, 2:47 AM - Merged: Re: Sintra #46

You can get unpainted mandalorian armor chest plates for $25. Paint it yourself and save alot of cash. PM me for details.
    Jul 27, 2002, 3:01 AM - Merged: Re: Sintra #47

Sintra isn't foamboard of any type. It's a solid, PVC-like plastic. You can buy it in many thicknesses and colors here: www.matgraph.com
  23. darthtater2
    Jul 27, 2002, 1:40 PM - Merged: Re: Sintra #48

It's called PVC foam board, I think, because there are little holes inside the plastic to give it some space to be ply-able(sp?). You can see little tiny holes on the sides of it. But don't worry, when you sand and paint it, you can't tell. And I don't think that $90 is worth the price. At my plastics supplier you can get a 4x8' sheet for $24. And that's the 1/8", the stuff that most people use. It's SOOO easy to work with.
  24. Purity Knight
    Jul 27, 2002, 2:40 PM - Merged: Re: Sintra #49

I would work with it myself but i dont have the molds or anything
  25. darthtater2
    Jul 27, 2002, 7:56 PM - Merged: Re: Sintra #50

You don't need molds, all you need is a dremel, a stove, and a pot of water. Cut the piece out with the dremel, boil some water, dip the piece in for about 30 secs and form with your hands (may want to wear some gloves though). You can use the mandalorian armor blueprints for patterns.

And if you don't have a dremel, go out and get one <font size="2">NOW.

It's an essential tool for any prop or costumer.