Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Official Sintra thread

Migrate from As You Wish

Official Sintra thread

How would I go about rounding my Sintra armor a bit more? I just got mine from Egyptbrick on ebay but I need to round a f ew parts to fit me better.

Migrate from As You Wish

Merged: Re: Bending Sintra?

A lot of people just use hot water in a sink. This has worked well for me. Another method is to use a hair dryer or heat gun. Just make sure you don't get the sentra too hot or it will buble up or burn. Try the hot water method first and if that doesn't work for you, put some gloves on and try the other method. Good luck!

Migrate from As You Wish

I used a heat gun, got it at joannes. best $5 bucks I spent.

Bear

Migrate from As You Wish

I just did it using a normal hairdryer and it worked great. That sintra is weeeeird stuff.

Migrate from As You Wish

Merged: Merged: Sintra

It seems to me, from what I can gather from this board, that Sintra is the best material to make Fett armor from. Where might one obtain Sintra on the Internet? I live in a spot where there isn't a sign shop for atleast a 50 mile radius. Thanks.

Migrate from As You Wish

Merged: Merged: Re: Sintra

sign shops will be too much money go instead to a plastic manufacturer. try looking up Tripps plastic and see if they still sell it.

Bear

Migrate from As You Wish

I would think even if you found a place on the Internet that shipping would be outrageous on a 4' X 8' piece. I guess you could have it pre-cut but there is almost always a surcharge if they cut it so I don't think that would help offset the shipping cost. I would recommend going to a hardware store or some kind of manufacturing shop in town and see if they can order it for you. If it is not easily accessible, it might be just as cheap to buy some preformed armor off of someone as well.....Good luck!

Migrate from As You Wish

I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer by email or phone -- they can tell you where the closest distributor in your area is.

http://www.alusuisse-comp.com/

Follow the "contact us" link. And good luck!

Migrate from As You Wish

If you sent an email, good luck I still heard nothing. I just called them and asked for the closest dealer to me.

Migrate from As You Wish

darthtater2 wrote:It seems to me, from what I can gather from this board, that Sintra is the best material to make Fett armor from.
    I wouldn't say it is the BEST, but it is definately the EASIEST and probably the most cost effective way to go. What's the best? Aluminum and fiberglass (IMO), neither of which are easy to work with nor cost effective, but man do they make for some awesome armor.

Migrate from As You Wish

I used sheet steel, I got it from Menards thick enough that it would not bend unless you hit it with a hammer. I was able to cut it with a jig saw that had a metal cutting bit. Why steel, well I wanted to solder snaps onto it and I thought I coulden't solder onto aluminum.....so I used steel. I coulden't leave it flat so I pounded out the pectoral pieces a little to round them out. I have plenty of tools (jig saws, files, bench grinder, drill press, propane torches, ball peen hammers....) so using steel wasn't a struggle. But from what I have seen on the board Sintra works well. It is easy to work with, you could cut out pretty much all your armor in a few days, and if you mess up.... you can start over without having spent too much time on the first attempt.

Migrate from As You Wish

I bought my Sintra here: http://www.matgraph.com/products_main_temp.html

They sell it in 4 X 8 foot sheets for signs, and ship by truck freight. It was too pricey THAT way, so I found a nice alternative.

They also sell CUT pieces here: http://www.matgraph.com/servlet/SelectCircle

Select "Rectangle" (it defaults to "Circle"), type in your desired width x length dimensions, then select your material from the pull down menu.

They have Sintra in 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 10mm, 13mm, & 19mm thicknesses, in varying colors. I bought several sheets of light gray 3mm Sintra for my armor, then 2mm white Sintra for some of my "accessories".

For reference, a 12" X 12" sheet of 3mm light gray Sintra is around $1.17. I found out on checkout that if you want a sheet over 30" X 30", your shipping is astronomical, so try to stay at 30" X 30" or LESS for each sheet. Also, they charge $30.00 per ORDER to cut Sintra to size.

It seems like a lot, but the Sintra is REALLY inexpensive, and so is the shipping. They're in Chicago, and I got my order in 3 days. I ended up with eight 12" X 12" sheets of light gray 3mm Sintra, one 30" X 30" sheet of white 2mm Sintra, one 18" X 18" sheet of light gray 3mm Sintra, and one 24" X 24" sheet of light gray 3mm Sintra, plus shipping AND the $30.00 cutting fee for about $50.00. I'll have enough left over to use for other costumes.

By the way, they also sell ALUMINUM, STEEL, and Plexiglas.

Hope this helps!

Migrate from As You Wish

Thanks for the pointer! Even with the $30 setup fee, when you count it against the whole cost of doing a costume it seems quite reasonable.

The total I got for 8 18"x18" pieces, 4 24"x28" pieces, and one 36"x24" piece was $74 (that was $60 material + setup & $14 shipping via ground to California).

Excellent!

Migrate from As You Wish

How much sintra is required to make the armor, any approximations?

Migrate from As You Wish

i bought a 8' x 4' for 25 bucks...and ive made 3 sets and still have enough for about 4 more...

Migrate from As You Wish

It all depends on your size and your experience cutting Sintra with a Dremel cut-off wheel (tin snips and other cutters cause the Sintra to shatter and break. The Dremel melts/cuts right through it). I was able to cut all 4 of the chest pieces out of one 18" X 18" sheet of 3mm Sintra. Persons larger than myself might require, say, a 24" X 24" sheet, to cut the pieces out of.

The easiest way to approximate is to draw out patterns for every piece of armor that you want to make out of Sintra, add their sizes up, and buy your Sintra accordingly. I believe I can get 2 knee armor pieces out of one sheet of 12" X 12" Sintra. I also cut both of my shoulder bells out of one 12" X 12" sheet. If you cut wisely, it goes a long way. I figured that since I was paying the $30 fee, I'd go ahead and get enough to last me awhile. It was definitely worth it!

Migrate from As You Wish

Are you guys vacuforming the armor or just cuting the sentra and bending it to shape? I have a sheet of it in my garage that I need to use one way or the other. I don't really want to set up for vacuforming for a one time shot. I was thinking about doing my Jango Armor with it, it seams that the edges of his armor looked flat unlike Boba's which are rounded off. Does that sound right?

Migrate from As You Wish

I've been cutting mine with a fiberglass-reinforced Dremel cut-off wheel, sanding/rounding-off the edges with a Dremel sanding drum, then forming it with a Wagner paint stripper/heat gun and cold water out of the faucet in my kitchen sink. It's incredibly easy to shape, even in the 3mm thickness that I use. 1mm and 2mm is VERY thin. You might be able to vacuform 1mm, but I've never tried it...

When I get a chance, I'll post a pic of one of my shoulder bells that I completed over the weekend.

Migrate from As You Wish

is the fiberglass reinforced cuttin better than the normal cutting discs?

Migrate from As You Wish

Well,Here we go
    I bought A .080 guage 4'x8' for 50 bucks,they were very nice
    and cut it into two 4'x4'sheets.I live in the detroit area and
    went to AIN plastics.I then used A jig saw for the cuts and
    fine tunned with A dremmel.I then used A propane torch to heat
    and bend.As far as the corners go I used the dremmel to sand
    off the back so the sides of the armor were not as thick as
    the middle.It gives A nice illusion that the armor is not that
    thick.But if you were to knock on te armor it appears thick
    and sturdy.I have bought several sets of vaccume formed and I
    have to say I like the do it yourself method much better.And
    with putting in the dents and rips in the armor it is great.
    My armor is damn close to the M.O.M.

Migrate from As You Wish

LOBH:

The fiberglass reinforced cut-off wheels are a little more expensive, but they last longer and cut better than regular wheels. I've cut bolts, aluminum sheets, plastics... you name it!

Migrate from As You Wish

So what thickness is best for armor?

Migrate from As You Wish

Go for 1/8th inch. It is easy to work with & looks to be about right.

Migrate from As You Wish

You can use either 2mm or 3mm and get away with it. 3mm seems to be a bit closer to 1/8" than 2mm is, but it's harder to bend since it's thicker. Thicker Sintra is also more expensive.

Migrate from As You Wish

Well, at least it sounds easy! I have seen some incredible jango gauntlets and knee armor made from sintra. How easy is it to shape into some accurate armor? I consider myself to be quite artistic not to toot my own horn but I just don't know if this is going to be as easy as it sounds, having never worked with sintra before what are my chances of making some good looking armor? I see that it is much cheaper than purchasing a set but in the long run might I end up going through a couple of sheets to get it right?
    Thanks for the help.........