Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
    Nov 9, 2004, 7:51 PM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #26

You don't use a clay, you use a type of sculpting wax, it's much harder then clay, stays moldable, but holds detail better and will last through the molding process
    Nov 9, 2004, 8:03 PM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #27

I made a Sauron helmet, using lightly shaped sintra, and sculpted Gapoxio (an A B epoxy clay) directly over it.
    Of course, it's 9lbs, but it still got the job done! And the helmet only took me 2 weeks.

3. Member Since
    Mar 2003
    Nov 9, 2004, 8:11 PM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #28

sith_camaro wrote:

I made a Sauron helmet, using lightly shaped sintra, and sculpted Gapoxio (an A B epoxy clay) directly over it.
    Of course, it's 9lbs, but it still got the job done! And the helmet only took me 2 weeks.

That is nine pounds of pure frigging COOL!

Cheers!
    TJ
  4. Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Nov 10, 2004, 11:37 AM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #29

Thanks guys! Fettcicle, what is this wax called so I can google it? I need to find a place that sells it. Also, you say it withstands the molding process...does that mean that when I make a clay bed (like on Dan Perez's site), the clay I pack around the wax will not damage the wax?

Camaro: that thing is SWEET. Nice work! How long is that epoxy workable for before it hardens?

Thanks again!
    Nov 11, 2004, 5:49 PM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #30

The sculpting wax is called Castaline, here is a faq on the subject http://www.bigchiefstudios.com/faq.html
    Nov 12, 2004, 11:12 AM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #31

Hey dreadpyrat, any chance of finding out if Lucasarts is going to come out with a "Bounty Hunter 2" Boba Fett adventures. They already have the engine built from BH 1 with Jango. All they'd have to do is create alternate environments or tweak the ones they have. Give him a different blast and whallah!

Maybe this should be another thread.
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Nov 12, 2004, 1:10 PM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #32

@Fett, thanks for the link! Justwhat I needed.
    @Geo: now I could get fired for even discussing such an issue!
    Fear not, good things are coming down the pike.
    Nov 12, 2004, 2:17 PM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #33

Woohoo! You can always email me.
    Nov 15, 2004, 11:52 AM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #34

sith camero - That helmet is awesome! I will have to show my stepdad that picture. He loves LOTR.
    Nov 16, 2004, 12:30 AM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #35

sith_camaro wrote:

Wow !!!! ... that is really something !! .. maybe you could have a go at a prologue Elven helmet next
    Nov 16, 2004, 8:55 PM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #36

Gapoxio hardens after about an hour. The best thing about it, is that you can make it very smooth, with water, with only your fingertips. (did I already mention that?)
    Apr 25, 2005, 3:14 AM - Re: Not a Fett helmet...a new challenge for ya! #37

hmm the wax seems dangerous.. i mean if you can warm it with a lightbulb to mould it.. then what happens when you run around on stage with those hot lights on you for hours.. or worse.. you leave your helmet in your car on a hot summer day... insta puddle.. the clay seems better off