Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Jan 11, 2008, 5:55 PM - Need 6 torso armor pieces for sci-fi short film #1

Hey guys,

Do you know where I could get an armortorso piece similar to this one I designed?

it's almost like the raw suit from Batman begins

I checked out this link

http://artsee1.com/pageslinked/store.html

but it's way too expensive for my budget.

Ideally, I would build the piece myself with materials, but because I need 6 torso pieces (and on a production schedule) this would be unrealistic.

If anyone knows of something similar I could buy (and even modify to my liking) that is plastic on fabric or latex, that would be cool.

I've scoured froogle, google...it's very hard to find something this specific. my budget is less than $100 for each armorplate (minus the arm/shoulder pieces)

thanks in advance for any advice or links
    any help would be really helpful!

Warner,
  2. Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Jan 14, 2008, 12:11 AM - Re: Need 6 torso armor pieces for sci-fi short film #2

any help really would be appreciated guys
    Jan 14, 2008, 12:46 AM - Re: Need 6 torso armor pieces for sci-fi short film #3

I've never seen anything similar to that. You'll want to try making it yourself if you're on such a tight budget. You might be able to get away with sintra, but you'd be better off with foam latex or something, if you want flexibility. But you don't want to work with that stuff unless you really know what you're doing. You may have to look at increasing your budget to get something professionally made.
    Jan 14, 2008, 3:26 PM - Re: Need 6 torso armor pieces for sci-fi short film #4

Buy a cheap muscle suit/superhero costume like this one:

and modify it by painting it and adding pieces to it.
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Jan 16, 2008, 1:40 PM - Re: Need 6 torso armor pieces for sci-fi short film #5

Quote ShatirLavan said: View Post
    I've never seen anything similar to that. You'll want to try making it yourself if you're on such a tight budget. You might be able to get away with sintra, but you'd be better off with foam latex or something, if you want flexibility. But you don't want to work with that stuff unless you really know what you're doing. You may have to look at increasing your budget to get something professionally made.
    yeau I think will just have to make these suits myself, it seems impossible just to find something "robocop-like" made of plastic i could then modify.maybe I'll go with foam latex, though I am going for a solid chrome black 'metal armor look. ill have to weigh my options, thanks for the reply
  6. Member Since
    Jan 2008
    Jan 16, 2008, 1:46 PM - Re: Need 6 torso armor pieces for sci-fi short film #6

Quote Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    Buy a cheap muscle suit/superhero costume like this one:

and modify it by painting it and adding pieces to it.

I think that maybe the way to go. which would be the best plastic pieces to use? i'd need the plastic to conform nicely to the chest muscles atleast.anyway, I'll have to look into it.thanks
    Jan 17, 2008, 3:54 PM - Re: Need 6 torso armor pieces for sci-fi short film #7

For a cheap quick option go to Home Depot and buy some plastic "for sale" signs. They can be shaped and heated with a heat gun or maybe even a good blow dryer.