Necessary Tools of the Trade

RedFilter

Hunter
Hey yall,
I have a week off coming up as well as payday the day before, and I was wondering to scratch build a helmet what tools are a must have when I go to Lowes to start this adventure. I do already have a dremel. (Oh yeah, this will be my first scratch-built bucket.):confused
Thanks!

Well, I haven't scratched a helmet before, but as with any hobby, there are some basics that can come in handy for any project.

You already have a Dremel, so that's a great start. Make sure it has some good multi-use accessories, such as: cutoff wheel, sanding drum, small/medium grinding bits, and maybe even some small drill bits.

As for other "stuff" you could pick up some sandpaper (a couple of medium to fine grits), utility knife or X-acto with replaceable blades, goggles (you have 10 fingers, but only 2 eyes!), a nice straightedge (I have an 18" metal ruler that's been used on countless projects), a couple of mechanical pencils, and some putty (I usually hit the hobby shop for putty.)

Hope that helps! And good luck with your project. (y) :)

A nice set of hobby files is a life saver. I am not sure about getting them at lowes but I got a great set at Home Depot.

hobbyfiles.jpg

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back