Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subscribe
  1. Jan 27, 2013, 7:54 AM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #26

That is beautiful! Excellent work bro!
    Jan 27, 2013, 6:16 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #27

Wow, those are some great masks. I might be hitting you up for one in the future.
    Jan 27, 2013, 10:37 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #28

Quote Jc27 said: View Post
    Wow, those are some great masks. I might be hitting you up for one in the future.
    Thanks! I have two available right now: the one on the left and one on the right in this pic

Jan 28, 2013, 12:44 PM - My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #29

Your web page was very informative I really liked the videos
    Feb 6, 2013, 2:11 AM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #30

well, I'm back out of the vac-forming game. Didn't realize the pegboard wasn't gonna hold up to the strength of my vacuum. I put a 2x4 in the middle for support, but it wasn't enough and after a few pulls, the pegboard is now deformed and starting to break in places. I've gotta take the whole thing apart, replace the pegboard, and this time, support it better.
    Feb 6, 2013, 6:02 AM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #31

Yikes. I considered using pegboard at first, but given the size of the table I was doing and how fragile MDF is I decided against it. It's hard to believe how much suction and consequently stress is present during vacforming until you actually try it. I can lift the whole setup off the ground by the handles on my frame once the vacuum is on and the plastic comes in contact with the table - table, buck, and everything.

For the next one, go with plywood for sure and just drill the holes out yourself using an 11/64 bit (or thereabouts).
    Feb 6, 2013, 10:34 AM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #32

Wow these are SICK!! in a beautiful way, love it!, they have such a menacing look to them
    Feb 6, 2013, 12:19 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #33

Quote thebeans said: View Post
    Wow these are SICK!! in a beautiful way, love it!, they have such a menacing look to them

Thanks! I did an experimental battle damaged one with claw marks and a different color scheme in the photo below than I think turned out neat.

May 12, 2013, 6:30 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #34

first off, great job on the masks. as for your vacuum forming problem, have you considered replacing the pegboard with mdf and just drilling holes every inch? its much more rigid but still relatively light weight and should be able to support the force of the vacuum.
    May 22, 2013, 12:17 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #35

I'm back in business. I really wanna build a heater box so I can get bigger than what will fit in the oven. I gotta build more molds first, though. Right now, cod pieces and Cyclops (xmen) visors are my only good molds that work almost every time.

One question, what are people doing with the leftover styrene and abs? I know that's not #1 or #2 plastic, so it can't go into the regular recycling bin. I've got a little in a jar with acetone to make putty for filler. The rest is in a pile in the corner of the garage. It seems like a waste to just throw it in the trash (especially where I live and most of the trash is incinerated).
    Jul 17, 2013, 5:33 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #36

Finally completed my Version 4 Sith Acolyte Mask using a variety of means; from sculpting in Sculpey to vacuum forming to casting, after a month of work I'm pretty happy with the results! For those interested in the complete step-by-step scratch build diary, check out this section on my website.

Now I can finally get around to finishing Asok's Fett lid I got months ago that's still sitting on the shelf!
    Jul 22, 2013, 3:13 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #37

Beautiful job on that Sith mask. Well done!
    Sep 20, 2013, 1:58 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #38

Wow! Hope I get your skills one day!
    Oct 13, 2013, 9:24 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #39

This is something I have really been wanting to do! You are giving me inspiration!!!
  15. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    Feb 4, 2014, 7:37 PM - Re: My first vacuum forming and mold making project! (Lots of large pics) #40

WOW. I have never even tried to do anything that involved.
    Sorry, off to the garage to start!