My first moulding and casting project so i have a few questions

My first moulding and casting project so i have a few questions

Hello everyone its me again! Okay so most of you know that i want to make casts out of a H&K MP-7 (for something i shall not say) here is what i have to ask.

1: The Mould Part:
    Is there something that is similar to silicone rubber but less expensive? I'm going to make two parts of each side so I need to find something in somewhat great quantity.

2: A Substitute for Resin?:
    Would Bondo work for replacing casting resin, since resin is so expensive (like $30 for 2 oz). Or is there anything els like a liquid two part abs plastic thing?

Help will be greatly appreciated!

~Ziggy

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Re: My first moulding and casting project so i have a few questions

There are all different grade rubbers, I would suggest a brushable silicone, that way you can paint on a couple layers, and then use a shell coat, to make the mold, and you wont use that much rubber.

As for resins, you can get two gallons for about 80 bucks.

I would check out alumilite.com, or smoothon.com

alumlilites products are much higher quality, but smoothon is a little cheaper (because they put cheaper additives in).

Doing a 2 piece brush on mold of a an HK should cost you about 100 bucks. its more difficult than a cut open block mold but uses a lot less materials. A block mold, doen from a cheap silicone will cost about 2x as much.

Theres really no way to go cheaper. I suggest watching a lot of tutorials before you start.

I want to do a pour squish mould for this

i can't imagine the mold costing less than $100. i'd guess more like $200 - $250 when its all said and done. i'd buy a gallon kit of the silicone (2 gallons total), then something for the jacket (plastipaste? around $75 i think)

$30 for 2 oz of resin though? where are you shopping? i pay $80 for 2 gallons at smooth-on.com.

From
    Kalamazoo, MI

Stormtrooperguy, I was thinking about the same.

If your doing a squish, it will be both halves the gun.

You could get a gallon of something that wont inhibit, but is brushable, do 5 coats, till its a half inch thick, build up with a thixotropic in spots, make a mother mold/sleeve out of plasti, actually alumilite has a better product than plasti IMHO. They have a skin coat, a skin coat flex, and now a ultralite hard coat. The skin coat doesnt get all sharp and nasty like the plasti paste does, and you can even make parts out of it.

Regardless your looking at a few hundred. You could get a cheap thing of fiberglass/kit from walmart for 20 for the hard coat to cut corners, but its a little more difficult to use than the hardening coat products.