Subscribe
  1. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Nov 4, 2006, 7:45 PM - Mustard? #1

Okay, so I've sanded down my helmet (...again), and it's ready to paint. So here's my question: I have heard of people using mustard to give the helmet a damaged look. So how would I go about doing this? Put the mustard on the helmet, wait for it to dry, then paint it?

With the original paint job, I just slapped on silver paint to make it look scratched, but I wasn't happy with that.
  2. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Nov 4, 2006, 7:54 PM - Re: Mustard? #2

paint the coat that you want to show,then put mustard on,then paint over it..i think...
    Nov 4, 2006, 8:02 PM - Re: Mustard? #3

From what I've gathered. First use like a silver base. Then put the mustard on, after that slap the green on it. Then when its dry chip the mustard off. And BANG! You have a scarred helmet.
    ~Slacker
  4. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Nov 4, 2006, 8:16 PM - Re: Mustard? #4

Thanks
    Nov 4, 2006, 8:28 PM - Re: Mustard? #5

I hope I catch you before you paint. Do NOT use mustard as it will stain the silver beneath it, giving the silver a yellowish cast that just doesn't look right-unless your armor will be mustard colored, don't use it.

In it's place, use toothpaste or my suggestion is use Elmers Washable glue. Put on the glue where you want silver to show through, then allow it to dry and then spray on your top coat(s). Once the paint is dry and reasonably cured, just peel the glue off in strips-and no big mess to deal with...I hope this has helped as I had to learn this the hard way. I just had to strip my armor down to fiberglass and had to repaint it all. Needless to say I was not pleased, so hopefully you'll read this before you paint...

Nov 4, 2006, 8:36 PM - Re: Mustard? #6

Elmers sounds like the way to go. This place is ful of the info I need. I love this place
  7. formerly Boba_Fett_03 Duran_Lomax's Avatar
    Nov 4, 2006, 9:31 PM - Re: Mustard? #7

Dha_Syntir said: View Post
    I hope I catch you before you paint. Do NOT use mustard as it will stain the silver beneath it, giving the silver a yellowish cast that just doesn't look right-unless your armor will be mustard colored, don't use it.

In it's place, use toothpaste or my suggestion is use Elmers Washable glue. Put on the glue where you want silver to show through, then allow it to dry and then spray on your top coat(s). Once the paint is dry and reasonably cured, just peel the glue off in strips-and no big mess to deal with...I hope this has helped as I had to learn this the hard way. I just had to strip my armor down to fiberglass and had to repaint it all. Needless to say I was not pleased, so hopefully you'll read this before you paint...

Whoa, Im glad I havent started on it, then; thanks for the info!
  8. I helped at SDCC '08 The Clayster's Avatar
    Nov 4, 2006, 9:42 PM - Re: Mustard? #8

it didnt give my silver a yellow color...you must have used weird paint
  9. Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Nov 4, 2006, 10:40 PM - Re: Mustard? #9

I wonder if a certain brand of mustard causes the stains. What brand did you use Cylrul?

I have been told that mayo also works but have never tried it.
    Nov 4, 2006, 10:41 PM - Re: Mustard? #10

I used toothpaste and now my helmet is gingivitus free and smells minty.
    Nov 4, 2006, 10:46 PM - Re: Mustard? #11

Thats
    Nov 5, 2006, 3:03 AM - Re: Mustard? #12

Try liquid masking tape. Works well for certain large areas, but the more details battle damage stuff i recommend hand painting it for better results.
    Nov 5, 2006, 8:15 AM - Re: Mustard? #13

i've heard that using rubber cement works as well. you brush it on, let it dry, spray paint on, and peel off the cement. i haven't tried this method yet, so don't quote me on it. personally, i plan on using toothpaste or washable glue.
    Nov 5, 2006, 8:29 AM - Re: Mustard? #14

No, I used Krylon paint like most folks here-which I love btw. I'm agreeing that it's likely the different mustard used. I used the cheap stuff as I had no plans on eating any of it-perhaps that's why it stained. But why take the chance of having to strip it down and repaint if it stains it? It seems as if there are many other ways in the place of mustard, find what works best for you and use that I reckon...

Nov 5, 2006, 3:02 PM - Re: Mustard? #15

Ive used liquid latex before that works well too. Not as controlable as other stuff since its a little bitter thicker and "pastier". But is easy to get off, just peels off with a finger nail.