Subscribe
    May 1, 2011, 8:57 PM - Liquid Mask #1

Any Thoughts?
    I am currently using hobbico liquid mask, and am none to happy with it. Seems I need to put several coats on before I feel comfrtable painting over it, then scraping off seems like more trouble. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks
    May 1, 2011, 11:53 PM - Re: Liquid Mask #2

I use the Winsor and Newton masking fluid. It dries clear so it can be hard to find to remove sometimes but it covers well and only needs one coat. I use a finger to roll it off like rubber cement.
    May 2, 2011, 12:38 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #3

I have used what WTFett suggested but I have had some issues with it sticking to the silver coat. By suggestion of Fett4Real I know use Grafix incredible White Mask Liquid Frisket.
  4. BGHunter is offline BGHunter
    May 2, 2011, 2:14 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #4

What I use is a mix of latex and art masking fluid with a drop of food colouring to see it ,
    best stuf Ive ever used
  5. KaanE is offline KaanE
    May 2, 2011, 4:11 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #5

I use Micromask. It's a blue coloured latex based masking fluid. It peels off easily and really accurate. I never have had a problem with it.
  6. May 2, 2011, 8:43 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #6

Have always used Windsor & Newton masking fluid, always with good results
    May 2, 2011, 10:14 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #7

Miskit Frisket by Grumbacher I hear works well!
    May 2, 2011, 10:16 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #8

Great responses, thanks guys!
    I will try some of the suggestions!
    May 14, 2011, 5:47 PM - Re: Liquid Mask #9

I'm another fan of Winsor & Newton. It may cost a little more than others, but it lasts a loooooong time.
    I've been using the same bottle for 5 years now.
  10. May 15, 2011, 10:59 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #10

I used to use the windsor and newton, its a bloody great masking fluid but I found that its hard to see when applying it as it dries clear. Ive since switched to the Humbrol maskol, its a purple colour so is easy to see and its just as good as the Windsor and Newton...Its also cheaper as well

Welsh
  11. High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    May 15, 2011, 1:11 PM - Re: Liquid Mask #11

You can add water color to any of the masking fluids to have it a brighter color when using it...I like a bright blue as its cheap and effective. I use grafix liquid mask its really thick and doesnt really run as much as W&N
    May 17, 2011, 3:34 PM - Re: Liquid Mask #12

I use pure liquid latex and it works fine.
  13. Member Since
    Dec 2008
    Jun 15, 2011, 12:56 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #13

Same for me. I use solid liquid latex and use different tools to apply it. When in areas that need more detail I dip a dental pick into the liquid latex and back draw it into the areas that need the application. Works wonders and has tons of uses.
    Jul 7, 2011, 6:59 AM - Re: Liquid Mask #14

I just painted gauntlets. I used a latex masking fluid on the left one, but the "roll your finger around" technique takes forever and leaves your floor and table covered with little flakes. It gets the job done, but it's really hard to identify where you masked. I'm certain that there's a few areas that'll peel off later with changes in temperature or just rubbing against it the wrong way. Also, that stuff is expensive.

For the right gauntlet (I painted em at the same time, but realized in the masking stage that there were a few more changes to make on the right one), I used thick blobs of toothpaste applied with a small paintbrush. It's much more obvious after painting, and the easiest way I found to remove it is lightly rubbing a soft toothbrush on it under running water. I'm much happier with this method and probably won't use the masking fluid again.