Leather workers. HELP!

Leather workers. HELP!

Hey guys, I am making another Scorpion costume and I was wondering what the best leather would be to use to make my gaunts/shin guards? I plan on making shoulder pauldrons as well... I was looking on Tandy Leather and there is so much, I get overwhelmed... what do you suggest?

El1te

Re: Leather workers. HELP!

Nobody?

El1te

From
    Saint Augustine, FL

Re: Leather workers. HELP!

I made a Manica Segmentata (Roman Gladiator segmented armor that covers the arm made of leather) and I simply walked into the closest store and asked one of the guys if he knew what could help. if you get a quarter raw hide you should be fine. The leather I used wasn't thick as a book, but at the same time wasn't flimsy and paper thin. When you stain the leather and use an additional layer where needed for raised details it can be quite stiff if the need arises. Possibly overlay some thin leather over a formed plate of plastic or metal using formica countertrop spray adhesive.

If you've got a Tandy location near you they are your best resource. The guys at my local store know a lot and were tremendous in helping me out. I'll see if I cant attach a photo or provide a link to my gauntlet I made.

sorry for the crazy huge pictures
    Last edited by SuperTrooper; Mar 15, 2010 at 3:40 PM.