I've taken my first step into the wide world of molding and casting. I built up one of Jayne's guns from Serenity, and decided to let it take a nice silicone bath.
Mold came out great, details perfect, and I did the first pour. Only to realize that I put the pour hole lower than the highest point in the gun. As a result, when I filled the mold, no resin got into that upper corner, leaving a pretty significant void.
I sculpted up the missing part so the resin wasn't a total waste, but let that be a lesson to you! When planning things like that out, don't just worry about undercuts and mold release, also worry about things like "will my resin actually go in!"
I've got more silicone on order, and will probably document this round of mold making. The good news is that I can at least chop up the old mold and use it as filler in making the new one!
For curiosity I'm using the smooth-on OOMOO 25 rubber and the smoothcast 300 resin. I'm going to try tinting the next batch with some black dye to make it easier to paint up.
Here's hoping this round works! This experimenting is getting spendy!!