Looking very nice! This gives me hope that it can be done! lol
How many coats of polyurethane do you use on the cardboard and what exactly do you use? Pics would be nice.
I bought some minwax stuff. Maybe I put it on too thin. How many coats? Would resin work better?
Lastly, how do you read the WoF template? I think I'll just cut everything out then try to mimic your steps. I can't figure out his gauntlet drawings at all.
Okay, that bobamaker tutorial was awesome. It got me wondering, can you paint straight on to foam board?
In that tutorial he never mentions sealing anything like you have to do with cardboard.
I think I've been trying to build these things using the wrong medium.
Well, so a year has passed. This project got forgotten due to all my spare efforts being put into the EP Fett helmet V2, sadly.
However, at the request of another member (shoutout to TDH member Robb), I've been commissioned to finish these. The right gauntlet has been sanded and primed, and I've added some bits of sintra and styrene to beef it up for when I add on more bondo, and clear up some detail areas:
The left gauntlet I'm redoing from scratch. I'll post some progress on that later.
The plan is to cast these both and offer fiberglass kits hopefully soon.
So I began remaking the left gauntlet. There were numerous issues with the first, some being structural and some being just related to not being accurate enough for my tastes.
So I began with layering some foam board...
Here for the added platform I used some sintra on the top of the foam board and some styrene for the front angled bit.
And some more foam board, styrene, and a 3D printed keyboard.
More updates coming soon!!
looks great so far
Last edited by le1120; Jan 13, 2017 at 9:16 AM.
I managed to snag a Casio MQ-1 for this project! The trick to opening it up after unscrewing lies in this little plastic latch which basically just needs to be forced. No damage thankfully.
Here's the circuit-board used in the keyslots behind the helmet.
A comparison between the RafalFett 3D model of the keypad (from Shapeways) and the real deal.
Mold making commenced and I soon had casts of both the MQ-1's face and the battery cover, which I'll be using on the left gauntlet master.