So I started working on this a month or so ago.. I figured everyone and their grandmother is doing Iron Man Helmets. Don't get me wrong I have made one as well..
But when I saw the war machine helmet, its bigger, bulkier, more militaristic look I fell in love, LOL.
So I started off a Iron Man cast 'cause War Machine is basically Iron Man but bigger and bulkier. I added clay until I felt depth and proportion was correct.
I smoothed the clay out using vasaline and a brush til I felt it was good enough to cast in Urethane Rubber. Look its shiney.
After the first few coats I ended up using Cab-O-Sil to thicken up the rubber and then placed gauze bandages soaked in the rubber to give it a little more thickness. My final cast from this mold looks like this.
I've cut out the face plate and am still working on a hinge system. This is a little different then the Iron Man Faceplate movement I think. Its the same motion, but the faceplate has to kick up a little to clear the bump on the top of the helmet. I still need to add more inside detail now that the faceplate is cut out.
I tried playing with some paint last night, not too happy with the results but its looking better ever day.