Insulation foam

Insulation foam

I'm trying to source some insulation foam for making a master to use on a vacu-forming table. Does anyone know the right stuff to use or where it can be found? I remember using it a school a few years ago.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Re: Insulation foam

Hey Dan I posted a thread here the other day looking for similar stuff, can you give me a heads up if you get any helpful info?

From
    Earth

Under no curcumstances should you use great stuff. Reinforcing with fiberglass or making a master from plaster is a better choice, I would think.

cal196 said: View Post
    Under no curcumstances should you use great stuff. Reinforcing with fiberglass or making a master from plaster is a better choice, I would think.

Whats wrong with great stuff, better than crap stuff I would say!

I've seen some one use foam for making their master for clone armour and then vacu-form over it. I did something similar on a smaller scale back at school and had no problems

HeadlessHunter said: View Post
    Hey Dan I posted a thread here the other day looking for similar stuff, can you give me a heads up if you get any helpful info?

I got a tip off from KOTE boards that you can pick up some blue foam from a builders yard. Normally used for insulating walls, so I'm going to check it out. It sounds like the stuff I used at school.

From
    Earth

Because in an enviroment where it cannot get the proper ventilation such as a large enclosure, the great stuff will exspand, and exspand, and exspand. Untill it busts the seams out of whatever you put it in.

cal196 said: View Post
    Because in an enviroment where it cannot get the proper ventilation such as a large enclosure, the great stuff will exspand, and exspand, and exspand. Untill it busts the seams out of whatever you put it in.
    Hmm, I dunno if we are on the same wavelength here. I'm not talking about expanding foam, more like rigid styrofoam, it keeps its size and shape. I used it before but a long time ago, and don't really know where to get hold of it in large sizes.

Cheers

Dan

Foam is a pretty generic term that covers a variety of material from polystyrene to polyethylene. They all have different properties. I think you are looking for a rigid polyurethane foam.

Polyurethane comes in different densities and colors. For your purpose, you will need a minmum 4lb density, but 6lb foam is better (and more expensive).

You can buy it on the web at http://www.generalplastics.com/produ...il.php?pid=19&

Also, check your local Yellow Pages under "Insulation" and ask for polyurethane foam. They will sell it in sheets or cut to size.

I have a place locally that has 3'x4'x3' buns that they run through the bandsaw to any size. I asked them if they ship, and they said they would. If you would like to give them (Wester McArthur)
    a call the # is (800) 628-1281 and ask about shipping you some samples.