Idiot guide to Airbrushing????

From
    Stevenage, England

Idiot guide to Airbrushing????

hi, I'm finally going to start painting my ESB helmet and i've never used an airbrush. Has anyone got any tips.???
    I was going to use one like this: Revell Starter Class Spray Gun With 200ml Air Power Can - Hobbycraft | Craft Shop, Art Supplies
    I'm using Humbrol Acrylic paint pots, so do I water them down a bit when mixing or do i go straight through the airbrush.?
    Any tips or advice would be great as i'm a complete novice.
    thanks
    Steve

From
    Bay City, MI
    I'm a novice myself, having just learned using an airbrush specifically for my esb lol. But i would strongly advise against anything with a can of propellant. It always seems to run out very quickly, and it lacks any distinct adjustment for volume flow rate, especially when you work with many different colors associated with the esb palette. If you're starting out, I would try searching for a single action airbrush and go from there. You'll spend more up front, but you won't ever have to deal with those god forsaken propellant cans, which will add up greatly with time (also figuring how much painting you will do with any fett, not just esb). If you're nervous about investing, rattle cans are also a good way to go, as I've done all my armor with them, but I'm completely airbrushing the helmet. I started with a paasche, but I'm not sure what's available for you. It would probably be a good idea to put in a bit more research, and I will say again to shy away from those "airbrush solutions", I've tried one myself, but it quickly wore out due to its plastic construction and cheap hose material, and I didn't even mention that the propellant cap never actually sealed, allowing the can to run dry without any use. hopefully this will help! A real airbrush will last a long time providing you clean it regularly, and I got a somewhat cheap compressor and it hasn't slowed down one bit! Good luck with your fett sir!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

From
    Stevenage, England

Re: Idiot guide to Airbrushing????

thanks for the advice.
    would something like this be better.???
    Mini Baby Elephant Airbrush Compressor Kit 1 | eBay
    I'm on a bit of a budget.

From
    Bay City, MI
    That will be a heck of a lot more reliable! I am not familiar with that brand though, so I can't give you a straight up recommendation. Have you checked any reviews on it? I understand you're on a budget, but sometimes a fett shoots your budget in the face lol. If the reviews of the airbrush are generally positive, just make sure the compressor has also lasted, and that it comes with extra tips for varying fluid types. If you seem comfortable with it, go for it! I'd just hate to see someone spend money on those can powered sprayers...it is such a giant headache, and you'll spend more money on extra propellant than a single investment in a decent airbrush.

Hope you find one you like!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Airbrush paint should be thinned to a milk-like consistency to avoid blockages. It's also good to strain it to filter out and clumps or chunks that might be in there.

Those little air compressors are quiet, but expensive. A hardware store should have good, heavy duty ones that would work better.

My big gripe with the little ones is that they have no tank. The airflow straight from a compressor is not always consistent. It can pulse a bit, which can mess with your painting. I prefer to use a compressor that fills a tank, then run the brush off a tank. It doesn't have to be huge... I think mine is only 4 gallons.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Yep..I also started w a Pasche. Seems to work great so far and I love my little compressor. Be sure to clean after every useage. Both enamel and acrylic take thinner..I believe both are 3:1 mixture. Good luck brother

From
    Stevenage, England

thanks for all the help and advice, i'm going to get a compressor kit now. got to find one, then i'm up and running. :-)

From
    London, UK

In the same boat at the moment - 70% through my ESB paint up and just about to move onto my fourth can of gas - would be cheaper in the long run to buy a compressor - lesson learnt

From
    Bristol, UK

I got an airbrush in preparation for my Pre Vizsla. Under advisement I got a double action airbrush. Whilst I'm waiting for the armour to arrive, and so I don't do anything stupid, I bought a book to teach me the basics 'Airbrushing for Railway Modellers' by George Dent. It's uncanny how today I was reading about thinning the paint, and it echoes very closely what StormtrooperGuy was saying. If like me you know nothing about airbrushing it's a very good read, and has some great advice.

From
    Stevenage, England

cheers for the help, i'll take a look at that book. so IF i'm reading this right.....even though the acrylic paint is water based, i thin it down with thinner....not water.?
    thanks

From
    Stockholm, Sweden

I watched the series on youtube linked above by F4R and in the videos they mention there is acrylic thinner, but if you use water it's best to use distilled water to avoid mineral buildups inside the airbrush.

stormtrooperguy said: View Post
    Airbrush paint should be thinned to a milk-like consistency to avoid blockages. It's also good to strain it to filter out and clumps or chunks that might be in there.

Those little air compressors are quiet, but expensive. A hardware store should have good, heavy duty ones that would work better.

My big gripe with the little ones is that they have no tank. The airflow straight from a compressor is not always consistent. It can pulse a bit, which can mess with your painting. I prefer to use a compressor that fills a tank, then run the brush off a tank. It doesn't have to be huge... I think mine is only 4 gallons.

what would i think the paint with?

mandosoldier said: View Post
    what would i think the paint with?
    that depends on the paint and preference. at a simple level, paint thinner for enamel and water for acrylics does work. there's a whole art to both types of paint, and everyone does it differently.

for example:
    Reaper Miniatures :: Thecraft