Subscribe
  1. Jul 10, 2006, 11:28 AM - How to paint fiberglass/ black gelcoat HELP #1

Chill8) . I'm new when it's about painting. And I don't know anything how it works precizely.
    1e I have a darth vader helmet made of fiberglass. No primer, no basecoat. Just outof the mold. What is the first step? And what primer do I use. Same with basecoat.
    2e I have 2 shin guards made of fiberglass and black gelcoat. They have to become white shinguards. Same questions are asked
    3e I have the chestbox made of polyuretaan. Gess what What is needed here?
    4e The belt. I bougth the items but I have to drill, make the boxes like they should be. There are 2 questions. First the whole stuff of painting.
    Second the buckle looks good, but the background is powdercoated black. And I want to have it white. What to do
    5e The shoulder armour is already sanded, primer + 2 layers of basecoat.
    Thanks I feel like a . So plewase need HELP
    Jul 10, 2006, 7:42 PM - Re: How to paint fiberglass/ black gelcoat HELP #2

If you wash the pieces in warm water with a mild detergent, and them primer the pieces with a good sandable primer, you can paint them without any problem.
  3. Jul 11, 2006, 12:33 PM - Re: How to paint fiberglass/ black gelcoat HELP #3

That's easy! Thanks clonesix.
    Chill8)
  4. Member Since
    Nov 2005
    Jul 12, 2006, 7:33 PM - Re: How to paint fiberglass/ black gelcoat HELP #4

To extend the topic a bit, does anyone know of a good fibreglass primer in the UK they could suggest?
  5. Jul 17, 2006, 11:01 AM - Re: How to paint fiberglass/ black gelcoat HELP #5

I always use regular wal-mart grey primer, and I have never had any issues, and most paints when allowed to dry properly will stick to fiberglass just fine.
    Resin is the material that is sometimes finicky with certain paints.