how do I make a mold with papermodels

  1. #1

    how do I make a mold with papermodels

    Hi, I'm new here but I've been making paper models for a few years now, I need to know how to go about making a mold of my paper Dr.who Tardis key.
    I'm not sure about pressing the key into clay because it's made of paper, and I don't want to ruin the key by pouring plaster on it.
    Do you guys/gals have any ideas?
    thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tardis-key-no-paint-jpg  

  2. #2

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    That's really cool. What kind of material are you planning to put in the mold?
    Last edited by Dobscure; May 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM.

  3. #3

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    Dobscure said: View Post
    That's really cool. What kind of material are you planning to put in the mold?
    I might just use modeling clay, and basically press the mold down on top of the clay.
    or possibly plaster of paris.
    what would you use?

  4. #4
    dechels's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2012
    From
    TEXAS
    Posts
    135

    how do I make a mold with papermodels

    Build a box around it and make a silicone mold.
    Quote Quote Posted from iOS app

  5. #5

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    RTV or silicone will stick to the paper because they are wet. However, another option would be to use polyethylene or styrene to vacuum form the mold. Here is an example of a guy that does mods and vacuum formed a case for his console Console Modding Site - Vacuum forming guide. You can also youtube vacuum form and get videos that will show you how to get the mold done.

  6. #6

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    Dobscure said: View Post
    RTV or silicone will stick to the paper because they are wet. However, another option would be to use polyethylene or styrene to vacuum form the mold. Here is an example of a guy that does mods and vacuum formed a case for his console Console Modding Site - Vacuum forming guide. You can also youtube vacuum form and get videos that will show you how to get the mold done.
    Thanks for the link, Do you think I could just paint some kind of paint seal or something to give the key a water barrier? if the paper is protected and I spray some anti stick on the key and then use plaster or silicone to make the mold i would think it would work.

    And by the way nice costume in your picture.

  7. #7

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    I was just going to suggest that. You can spray an acrylic clear coat on it to seal it. Once its COMPLETELY dry you can make a silicone mold from it. I think its the best way Let it dry and air out for a coupleof days to be sure all the chemicals in the clearcoat evaporate or they will react with the rubber and may prevent it from curing properly, or at all. I learned this the hard way. So give it a couple days after your final coat and you should be good to go

  8. #8

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    I was just going to suggest that. You can spray an acrylic clear coat on it to seal it. Once its COMPLETELY dry you can make a silicone mold from it. I think its the best way Let it dry and air out for a coupleof days to be sure all the chemicals in the clearcoat evaporate or they will react with the rubber and may prevent it from curing properly, or at all. I learned this the hard way. So give it a couple days after your final coat and you should be good to go
    I will try that, I will post pictures of the progress.

  9. #9

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    Heatadvisory said: View Post
    I will try that, I will post pictures of the progress.
    I'm almost done painting the key, almost time to make a mold!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tardis-key-add-metal-jpg  

  10. #10

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    My first plaster test.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mold-test-one-jpg  

  11. #11
    NegativeEleven's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    From
    North Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    175

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    You should make a mold before you paint the original. Sometimes, even with a release agent, silicone clings to the paint and you end up with flakes of paint in your mold that come off a little in each casting. I'd suggest filling in your paper from behind with some kind of resin or filler (like Bondo) to make sure the weight of the silicone doesn't cave it in at all.

  12. #12

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    I'm just going to sculpt a clay key so I can avoid the paper altogether.

  13. #13
    ikinaceous's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    From
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    54

    Re: how do I make a mold with papermodels

    I did "impression" molds into plastecine, then cast with fibreglass resin for the scratchbuilt greebs on my EE3. The molds are one offs but its super cheap and really quick to make. Just lube your "buck" sculpt with some sort of oil or spray wax, press it into the plastecine for as many copies you want and bam....

Similar Threads

  1. Question: How to make a silicone mold of boot soles
    By FettFanatic in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sep 28, 2009, 1:02 AM
  2. How do you make a mold of say...the jet pack?
    By Darth Voorhees in forum Boba Fett Costume
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 30, 2009, 1:46 AM
  3. What should i use to make a mold?
    By Vil Norinth in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Mar 7, 2009, 10:04 AM
  4. How to make a mold w/real pistol as start question
    By stormtrooper@rushmore in forum Prop Building Workshop
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Mar 16, 2005, 2:18 PM
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •