Subscribe
    Jun 28, 2004, 10:24 AM - help with epoxy, glues etc. #1

Specifically, what brand of glue, epoxy would be safe to use on Vinyl and styrene? I need to glue a visor into a Rubies helmet and need to attach parts of my styrene gauntlets together but I have no idea what brands to use that are safe and will not melt them. There is a small gap between the parts so also looking for something to fill in the gap that I can sand down after.

Jun 28, 2004, 11:32 PM - Re: help with epoxy, glues etc. #2

little help here? Has anyone used the 2 part plastic epoxy that is sold in a tube?
    Jun 28, 2004, 11:51 PM - Re: help with epoxy, glues etc. #3

Well, you could try some epoxy putty. (that would help as a filler)

Beyond that, I'm not sure. You want to avoid runny super glues as they will seep down your visor just to cheese you off.
    Jun 29, 2004, 2:21 PM - Re: help with epoxy, glues etc. #4

I don´t know if you have it in the states, But try Bison two part epoxy glue. Comes in a double siringe. You can get 5min and it works well.
  5. Member Since
    May 2002
    Jun 29, 2004, 11:03 PM - Re: help with epoxy, glues etc. #5

I wouldn't go with superglue, as it may craze (leave chalky white permanent residue, which creeps far across the spot you applied the glue) your visor. I would tack it in place with hot glue, and the apply epoxy around the edges, being careful not to get it onto the visible part of the visor. Thickening the epoxy will keep it from running all over while you wait for it to set. Hobby stores that have lots of radio-airplane stuff sell jars of glass micro-bubbles which are perfect for thickeng epoxy.

Stay away from the glue that testors makes for gluing clear parts. It's more like Elmer's (PVA) glue, and not super glue.
  6. Member Since
    May 2002
    Jun 29, 2004, 11:04 PM - Re: help with epoxy, glues etc. #6

Oh yeah- for gluing styrene to styrene, get styrene glue. It comes in either a glass jar with a brush stuck in the lid, or in those little Testors bottles with the really thin needle nose spout that angles off the top of the bottle. Superglue works well too.
    Jun 30, 2004, 12:54 PM - Re: help with epoxy, glues etc. #7

Bexley wrote:

Oh yeah- for gluing styrene to styrene, get styrene glue. It comes in either a glass jar with a brush stuck in the lid, or in those little Testors bottles with the really thin needle nose spout that angles off the top of the bottle. Superglue works well too.
    Is there a brand that makes Styrene glue? I have net seen that one yet.
  8. Member Since
    May 2002
    Jul 1, 2004, 11:25 AM - Re: help with epoxy, glues etc. #8

Well, they don't call it "styrene glue." It's usually labelled specifically for plastic models. It has the consistency of water.

The two brands I have are Ambroid Pro-Weld, and ModelMasters (Testors) Cement for Plastic Models.