Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jun 23, 2013, 11:16 AM - Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #1

Posting this here for a little show off, but mostly if anyone else wants to make something similar and not sure how to go about it.

I first woke up at 7am for no reason and drew on the mythosaur pattern. A lot of people keep thinking I used a CnC router but I really can't afford such a thing, all I used was a jig saw. It took some time with all the backing up and going over lines again but it was worth it. When I finished cutting into the 3/4" plywood board that is 54 1/2" x 18" the sun was at a cool angle for this picture to happen.

After finishing staining it black.

Here is the supports being prepared to be screwed together. The legs are 4x4's cut at 16 1/2". At first for the sides I was going to use 2x4's, but the 2 fluorescent lights I bought were too big, so I moved on to 2x6's. The side 2x6's were cut at 47 1/2" and the end pieces cut at 21".

All assembled using pocket hole screws... which I had no idea was a thing until this project.

For the bottom color part, I used a .125" translucent amber acrylic sheet. I ordered a 24x24 piece without measuring my mythosaur because I'm a derp, but it ended up working out BAAAAAARELY. Ignore my awkward mannequin that I'm also working on so I can pose it for my Boba armor.

Then underneath that I have a .30" clear acrylic 24x24 piece that I added some frosted vinyl to to give a more diffused look when the lights underneath are on.

Here's what it looked like so far with the plastic pieces drilled on to the back.

I used 2 18" fluorescent lights placed right where the mythosaur is.

The first time plugging it in, I oooooooooooooooooooo'ed like crazy and wanted to hug it.

I measured and cut this thin flexible board for the bottom.. I can't remember what the material is called sorry, and added reflective tape where the symbol is so the light would shine upwards more.

And the (almost) finished product! Right now I have a temporary piece of glass sitting over the symbol it protect it until I get a custom sized glass top made. Other than that I just need to stain the bottom board, and work out an extension cord to go under the carpet so no one trips.
    Jun 23, 2013, 11:42 AM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #2

Cool....... :-)
    Jun 23, 2013, 11:44 AM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #3

Love it. Great work.
    Jun 23, 2013, 10:33 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #4

Dude, that is sweet. I can't believe you did that with a jig saw. If I tried that it would have been a total disaster, and that's not counting the lost fingers from the saw that most likely would have happened too.
  5. Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Jun 24, 2013, 10:11 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #5

Post a better pic and I'll get you some Facebook love for this!
  6. Jun 25, 2013, 3:40 AM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #6

That's brilliant man. Mine if I steal this idea for a wall hanging?
    Jun 25, 2013, 9:36 AM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #7

Quote tuskentrooper said: View Post
    Post a better pic and I'll get you some Facebook love for this!
    Oooooooh I can do that! I'll get a better picture tonight.

Quote ChrisTheArtist said: View Post
    That's brilliant man. Mine if I steal this idea for a wall hanging?
    Go for it! I'd love to see it. I actually got my idea after seeing a mannequin stand that Boba Maker made.
  8. Jun 25, 2013, 3:26 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #8

I absolutely love this! I have to say, browsing through these threads is incredibly inspiring and if I'm not careful my whole house is going to have a Mandalorian theme! lol
    Jun 25, 2013, 10:29 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #9

Great table! You should be proud! My office/star wars room has absolutely NO room or need for a coffee table but that might not stop me from stealing your design ideas!! Well done sir.
    Jun 25, 2013, 11:02 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #10

Alright guys, here's my new fancy shot of the table. Which took some time because I haven't operated a camera in a long long time.
    Last edited by Osmethae; Jun 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
    Jun 25, 2013, 11:09 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #11

That is excellent. No room in my mancave for a table like that, but I'm thinking the kid's playroom might need one.
    Jun 25, 2013, 11:31 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #12

that is awesome, I love the wampa skin run too.
    Jun 26, 2013, 10:52 AM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #13

Shaweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

You should post this on the Mandalorian Mercs board
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jun 26, 2013, 11:18 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #14

Wow awesome table ! Looks great especially in that updated photo!
  15. Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Jun 27, 2013, 7:30 AM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #15

Wow, really cool table!, Great Wampa rug also
    Jun 27, 2013, 11:04 AM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #16

That table is amazing! great work.
    Jun 27, 2013, 11:53 AM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #17

Is great bro, congratulations is nice, is special!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jun 27, 2013, 12:02 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #18

I hope you know Os that this will spark many replicas, I may even give it a try once I get a good jig saw.
    Jun 27, 2013, 12:27 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #19

Quote Jc27 said: View Post
    I hope you know Os that this will spark many replicas, I may even give it a try once I get a good jig saw.
    I'm completely ok with that! I look forward to seeing what other people come up with. I am on a big woodworking kick right now and unfortunately my brain isn't working right.. is there any sort of thing anyone else wants to see made? Throw ideas at me and I'll see what I can do.
    Jun 27, 2013, 12:58 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #20

LOVE LOVE LOVE this !!!!!
    Jun 27, 2013, 2:04 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #21

This is just to cool... very nice job
  22. Jun 27, 2013, 3:35 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #22

Brilliant!

How did you join the table to the legs?
    Jun 27, 2013, 3:51 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #23

Quote Mandalorian Guard said: View Post
    Brilliant!

How did you join the table to the legs?
    The table top isn't actually joined to the legs. The 2x6's are screwed into the legs with the pocket hole screws, and then the 2x6's are screwed into the table top the same way. It doesn't affect the sturdiness at all, we've put it to the test and it's still perfect.
    Jun 27, 2013, 8:20 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #24

Quote Osmethae said: View Post
    is there any sort of thing anyone else wants to see made? Throw ideas at me and I'll see what I can do.
    If you like working with the jigsaw this window cutout might give you some ideas...

Jun 27, 2013, 10:50 PM - Re: Glowing coffee table I made for my mancave that I'm waaaay too proud of. #25

Hoooooooooly **** that is awesome. Plus that little tauntaun is amazing too!