Do-it-Yourself Vacuumforming

From
    San Diego, CA

Do-it-Yourself Vacuumforming

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility if you choose to build and use this . High temperatures and warm sagging plastic (polystyrene) can be dangerous if mishandled. Please use caution and be prepared when using materials next to a heating element.

I was going through some old files and found this image and figured I should throw it up. I actually built this several years ago and it served me well with all kinds of miscellaneous parts. The image is somewhat basic, sorry I don't have exact measurements. It all is based off the size of the frame that fits in an oven. This is a basic table that uses a shop-vac for vacuum. Cheers.

vacform_table_shockwave-jpg

Re: Do-it-Yourself Vacuumforming

I built my first 25 sets of clone armor on a similar rig. It's nice having super fancy toys but you can do a lot with things you have readily available around the house!

From
    Temple City, CA, USA

hey, im new to prop building and want to do some vac forming. I know the basics of how it works but what kind of plastic do you use and where can I get it?

From
    London, UK

Hi all, I built a vacuum forming table some time ago which I've used for various projects. I'd never actually shown any pictures of the table before, so I decided to make a YouTube video all about it.

Of specific interest is probably the way I heat the plastic, which is quite easy to reproduce safely and cheaply.

Here's the video: XRobots - How to build a vacuum forming machine including my easy heating solution - YouTube

Skip to about 3:35 if you just want to know about the heater part - I also demo the table at the end.

From
    Roanoke, VA USA

Nice Video!

From
    Chicago, IL

Awesome guys!

Xrobots - do have a tutorial on how you made your vac forming table. I saw the heating process which is excellent. I love the setup.

Thanks for an awesome video.

MofDSB1 said: View Post
    hey, im new to prop building and want to do some vac forming. I know the basics of how it works but what kind of plastic do you use and where can I get it?
    Most people use HIPS (high impact polystyrene) or abs (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene). I found it best to track down a local source, since shipping is quite expensive unless you are buying a lot of it.

Volume also helps. You'll pay a lot more per sheet if you buy 1 sheet vs. 50

Very cool guide! I agree that the home built wire heaters are a bit scary. I ended up spending quite a lot on the heating elelements for mine, bought from someone smarter than me who figured out all the materials, measurements and electrical requirements for me
    Last edited by stormtrooperguy; Aug 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Account Deactivated

Nice video - clear and concise! I was surprised to see that you used such a relatively week vacuum (as opposed to an industrial shop-vac) and yet it came out so well. You inspired me to make my own instead of renting. By the way, you would make an excellent C3PO!

From
    London, UK

Thanks, those Dysons are pretty sucky though.

I so completely have a new weekend project. This was brilliant! Have you tried larger pieces of plastic with the same heating method?

From
    London, UK

No, I don't have a bigger table to try it with, but I'd image it would work ok.

From
    Tyler, Texas

That's awesome...nicely done. So where do you get the molds (i.e. like the C3-PO mold you used)?

I've only recently started building various replica props, (I've completed a full size 'Portal' companion cube, a full height, half depth 50's style British police box, {T.A.R.D.I.S.}, a flux capacitor, & I'm starting on a replica of Han's ESB blaster), but - if I ever wanna' make somethin' more than a one-off - I think that I might have to put somethin' together like this pretty soon.

From
    Bakersfield CA

Awesome video.

From
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Just found a styrene supplier here in Vancouver, I think I have a weekend build project... Well, another weekend build project.

From
    Murrieta Ca.

Awesome video! I'll stick to my painting

My old vacumtable

What does your new one look like?

From
    Fort Stewart, GA

Good thread! found it really helpful

From
    Sacramento Ca

Here is a helpful link if you are serious about vacuum forming

ByYourCommand.net • View topic - Basic Vacuum Forming and Vacuum Machine Building