Subscribe
    May 24, 2008, 3:17 AM - Casting Questions!! #1

I'm a newbie to the whole molding and casting scene so I have a couple questions. I have my first scratchbuilt Boba costume about 60% done(complete with homemade mannequin!) but I've hit a snag. I frequently search bobamakers website and have checked out all of his projects pages. The gauntlet one is very interesting. If you look at the first couple steps and steps 91-92 you see that clay is used to outline the shape and a mold is made. He then produces hollow resin copies...Is there any way to do this without using fiberglass cloth!?!?! I also am interested in the miracle product he calls epoxy filler. I'm familiar with epoxy and certain fillers, but I have never heard of a product called "epoxy filler" except in boating repair. I would really like to get some of that stuff if anyone can give me a brand!

Thanks,

Kwally89
    May 24, 2008, 12:27 PM - Re: Casting Questions!! #2

the stuff you've heard of for boating may well be the same thing that he uses.

as far as resin and fiberglass... you could use a brush on resin or one designed for rotocasting. if you're in the us, check out smoothon.com's smoothcast roto and shell shock liquid plastics. i've used smoothcast roto many times. i just picked up a sample of shell shock to play with.