Bumble Bee Build Upgrades! 22th June

From
    East Coast, Singapore

Bumble Bee Build Upgrades! 22th June

Hey Hunters,

Here's a brief look at the work both my buddy Edwin and myself, over at MM, have been doing since we received word on the Bumble Bee build. This was done, in conjunction with/for Hasbro Singapore, to be seen and used in time for the Hasbro Midnight Madness launch here at one of the local Toys 'R' Us stores.

Please keep in mind that we were/are working under tight restrictions, as we would be using a spare damaged Optimus [Our very own sculpt as well ] suit for the basic framework, [the spare suit was a mess, with way too thin areas that had to be refiberglassed and rebuilt], and an even tighter timeline.

I decided to build over the existing frame with the Camaro front design [which we had to scratch-build with PVC hard foamcard] to break the old Optimus shape. As planned, we had the lower bit trimmed off to recreate the V shape torso, the older spats would be refilled, reworked and modified to look more like Bumble Bee's camel toe like boots.

Seeing's as the old suit was a mess, we would be going for a battle weary Bumble Bee. And since we had only 5.5 days to get it done, we took some artistic liberties on the overall look. So be kind.

The initial Optimus frame to be converted:
    Mainbody:-

Shin armor and Boot spats:-

Groin piece:-

The initial sketches and measurements I did before we started work, seen here with our little help buddy, mini bee:-

Measurements and framework layout on the PVC hard foamcard just prior to cutting:-

Here we have our scratch-built Camaro angular front, after cutting and joined [I hot glued the parts together before reinforcing the entire setup with resin and fiberglass strips]:-

New reshaped Boot Spats, thanks to Edwin's hard work:-

Dismantling Bumble Bee's Helm before repaint:-

The Camaro angular front cut in half and retrimmed.

Here it is, cut in half and with racing stripes on:-

Cod piece, after clean up and cut Gauntlet tops with new paint...viola! Mini Bee is takin a breather and enjoying the smell of fresh paint.

New mainbody frame with suspension greeblies and 'camaro body kit' parts affixed:-

Mainbody, minus the headlights, on Bob [our test mannequin], with the back armor and doors on [and yes, that's my hand, holding up the frame]:

And finally the 96% [we didn't use the Bicep armor as we weren't too happy with it] finished Bumble Bee at Toys'R'Us...

The crowd...

And the entire gang [L-R: Bumble Bee, Hasbro's Official Optimus Prime, Our Sexy Prime and StarScream, transformable].

Was a real rush job but both Edwin and myself are pretty happy with what we managed to do in that time...Hope you like it.

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Last edited by Halo_1; Jul 4, 2009 at 9:38 AM. Reason: Updated Again!

From
    New bedford,MA

Re: Bumble Bee Build

looks awsome,,in just 5 days ,amazing work,looks better than the official optimus.much more coverage not alot of black bodysuit.
    truely outstanding job Tim

From
    Mt.Vision,NY U.S.A

That really looks bad ***** !
    Great job!

From
    jacksonville

Great job! Can't believe you got it done in 5 days? Wow, that shows determination, decipline, and pride in your work. I'm impressed.

From
    Sunshine State, USA!

WOW! That looks GREAT! Fantastic job!!!

very nice!

transformable starscream? any pics of the jet mode?

From
    Parker, Colorado

Thats pretty dang flipping awesome! are you planning on wearing it to a midnight show of the new movie?

From
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada,

wow very cool

That's amazing for 5 days, and yours looks better than the official one.

From
    East Coast, Singapore

Thanks everyone, coming from you armor makers and gurus, means alot. Both Edwin and myself are honored that you feel it's much better than the official suit.

Here's a not too flattering pic of Starscream transformed [please remember that this suit has seen better days....]

And nada, I won't be wearing the suit, someone taller will. I'll be in Multicams and carrying a big gun.

Thanks again Hunters!

Stay safe,

Tim.

From
    So Cal, USA

VERY impressive! I love seeing the progress. I always wonder how so many people make all of these great transformers costumes. bravo!

From
    A small farm in Queen Creek, AZ

Man, that is a fantastic job. Especially in the amount of time you had.

From
    Porterville, California

very cool...and fun looking!

From
    East Coast, Singapore

Thanks Hunters, coming from you armor gurus, the kudos mean alot.

As we have time before the Revenge of the Fallen Gala Premiere on the 22nd, I decided to made some improvents/upgrades to the Hasbro toy helmets to make it more accurate. What do you think?

Bumble Bee:

Optimus Prime:

I had to drill through the plastic lenses to allow the LEDs to be inserted. BB's eyes were glued on and then the LEDs inserted with the battery pack placed in the inside top of the helm. I might wanna cover his lenses abit more if I can find the right parts. As for Optimus, the same drilling was done cept that due to the bits used, the hole had to accommodate both the LEDs and the bits. Once that was done, once again, using my fav material, I scratch built the eyebrows/lids to recreate the 'correct' look. After some heat gun work, pime and paint...viola!

Anyhow, let's hear it for broken down power tools and spares.

And the upgraded Optimus back plate:

And yes, that black thingy on the back is a car filter.

Edwin's still working on the Thigh armor and should have it done by end of business today. Pics to follow.

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Last edited by Halo_1; Jun 18, 2009 at 6:50 AM. Reason: Additional info

From
    Michigan

Re: Bumble Bee Build Upgrades! 18th June

The eye improvements look way cool. What did you use for the new eyes (around the LEDs) ?

Halo_1 said: View Post
    Thanks Hunters, coming from you armor gurus, the kudos mean alot.

As we have time before the Revenge of the Fallen Gala Premiere on the 22nd, I decided to made some improvents/upgrades to the Hasbro toy helmets to make it more accurate. What do you think?

Bumble Bee:

Optimus Prime:

I had to drill through the plastic lenses to allow the LEDs to be inserted. BB's eyes were glued on and then the LEDs inserted with the battery pack placed in the inside top of the helm. I might wanna cover his lenses abit more if I can find the right parts. As for Optimus, the same drilling was done cept that due to the bits used, the hole had to accommodate both the LEDs and the bits. Once that was done, once again, using my fav material, I scratch built the eyebrows/lids to recreate the 'correct' look. After some heat gun work, pime and paint...viola!

Anyhow, let's hear it for broken down power tools and spares.

And the upgraded Optimus back plate:

And yes, that black thingy on the back is a car filter.

Edwin's still working on the Thigh armor and should have it done by end of business today. Pics to follow.

Stay safe,

Tim.
    wow

LOVE IT!!!

Although, I'm a little worried about some of the early reviews of them film so far, joblo.com gave it 2/10!

From
    Phenix City, AL

That's an amazing job you're doing there, Tim. Really outstanding.

From
    East Coast, Singapore

Thanks Hunters.

Andy, the items used to build around the LEDs were broken down dremel power tool internals. Hope that helps.

And a little late but here are the pics from the Gala Premiere. I'm in Multicams with the 203 and googles strapped to my Chassis shoulder. .

The final suit as it stands...

And the pics from the Gala premiere.

And just in case the 'mechanical' stars didn't hyped the crowd, we had Amy & Janice as the female versions of Prime and Bee.

Enjoy...

Stay safe,

Tim.
    Last edited by Halo_1; Jul 4, 2009 at 9:57 AM. Reason: Typo

Re: Bumble Bee Build Upgrades! 22th June

Very cool! The troop looks like it was a big success!

From
    Oakdale, CA

Wow, Tim, that is AMAZING!!

That is just awesome!

That is awesome. well made