Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Mar 26, 2006, 10:22 PM - Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #1

I checked lowes and home depot, all they have is plexiglass. Should I ask for fiberglass instead? The only thing I could think to tell them was "3-4 square feet of 3mm thick plastic." I guess I should've done my homework before I asked questions, right?
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:24 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #2

Do not use plexiglass. I tried it before and it will not end up well. Take my advice on this. if you live in a big city, then look for a sintra factory.
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:27 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #3

fiberglass and plexi glass are two tottaly different animals. If I remember right someone a while back did their armor from plexi. It should be in your price range and I believe it's close to sintra. That I think might be what you want but i'll let someone else chip in. Fiberglass is really exactly what it says it's small fibers of glass. Making things out of it is a mixture of a fiberglass cloth and a fiberglass resin. (BTW if i'm getting any of this wrong more experienced people just tell me because I'm not shure if I have a clue what i'm talking about) It takes alot of skill and experience to do it right.
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:28 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #4

Oh nvm what I said about plexiglass
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:30 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #5

Quote InfraFett said:
    if you live in a big city, then look for a sintra factory.
    I live in the second largest in Illinois. Sintra has been a pain in hte ***** to come by. What is it, exactly? I heard the it's basically a PVC pipe turned into a flat sheet, right?
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:36 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #6

It's like a pvc pipe but at the same time not. It has a few different properties. If you know a sign shop anywhere theres a good chance they will have it.
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:37 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #7

alright, there's one pretty close by. What is it usually priced at?
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:38 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #8

I don't know. I just hear it from other people here. I've considered working with it before. Some of the guys here told me that I'd need to go to a major city to get it.
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:40 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #9

well, I'll check that sign shop next time I'm by it. I'll let you know the price of it, ok?
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:40 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #10

okie dokie smokey
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:41 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #11

I really have no idea. I've read that some people go and they'll get scraps for free. I'd guess the max might be around 30. I personaly haven't gone but the 30 figure is what i'm guessing if you're able to buy it to the exact amount you need
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:45 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #12

Well, for chest/stomach, cod piece, ad shoulders I assume that 3-4 square feet will work.Sound about right?
    Mar 26, 2006, 11:53 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #13

I think so but if you use Wizard of Flights templets you could find exactly how much
    Mar 27, 2006, 12:03 AM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #14

I ahve his temps. and they are extremely helpful. I think that 3-5 would be a bit closer, but I'll see what I can find.
    Mar 28, 2006, 4:08 AM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #15

Okey.. here it goes.

Plexiglas = Cheap and easy. BUT! be careful when you cut it. Use a saw and with a steady support. If it is allowed to flex to much it WILL crack. You can use a rotarry tool to cut it but chances as you'll just melt it the plastic and make a mess. Plexiglass can be bent by heating it up but again, be careful, it bubbles really easyly when heated to much and too intensly.

Fibreglass = Comes in sheet of fibresmats or incased with epoxy. leave this alone. Unless you are gonna reinforce something or mold something, leave it alone.

PVC = A hard plastic. Kinda like an opage plexiglass but more flexible. It will "whiten" when you stress it too much. (unlike plexiglass which just cracks)

Sintra = A.k.a Foamed PVC (and in certain places FOAMEX). Just like PVC but the it has been processed so there is pockets of air inside the plastic. (on a microscopic level) So the plastic cells are larger than in regular PVC but still has the same properties. Bends easeir than PVC and does not crack. It does however produce a fine dust when you are working with it so use googles and mask. (as should you always) Cheaper, lighter and more worker friendly than pvc. Does however produce poisinous gas when heated so stay in a ventilated room as well.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Boba Swede; Mar 28, 2006 at 10:45 AM.
    Mar 28, 2006, 10:11 AM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #16

Ok, I found a place that has sintra for $5 per sq yrd, sound about right?
    Mar 28, 2006, 7:56 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #17

Sounds like a good deal to me, Better that what I paid for my last piece anyway. What thicknes is it?
    Mar 28, 2006, 8:44 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #18

I forgot, but it was either 3/16 or 36/100 of an inch.
  19. Mar 28, 2006, 10:54 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #19

Quote InfraFett said:
    Do not use plexiglass. I tried it before and it will not end up well. Take my advice on this. if you live in a big city, then look for a sintra factory.
    yeah, when I started out I tried plexiglass and I coudnt get anything out of it.
    Mar 28, 2006, 11:17 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #20

Well, as I said, I found the sintra. But it gives off the fumes, and there'e nowhere in my house that is ventilated enough to work in. Would it work to boil water in a metal pot on the grill? It's just a thought.
    Mar 29, 2006, 1:38 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #21

Most people use 1/8in sintra. Around here it is $40-60 per 4x8ft sheet. I use a kerosene heater space heater to form mine. Turn the heater up high and hold over it for a minute or so, might have to wear leather gloves or oven mitts work well too.
  22. Mar 29, 2006, 9:35 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #22

Quote hopefull fett said:
    But it gives off the fumes, and there'e nowhere in my house that is ventilated enough to work in.
    I do all my work in the garage with the door open. But I've never had problems with the fumes, even in closed areas.
    Mar 29, 2006, 10:23 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #23

you can get a respirator, they cost 40 dollars. i know, they cost a lot. but why get sintra? do the trash can armor method first. it's easier, and has less hassle. with the trash cans, you don't need to heat it and bend it or anything, just cut it out. it's great for beginners IMO, even though i never tried it.

but if your still planning to stick with sintra... i don't know, it's your choice. i'd recommend the trash can method, but you don't really need to do it. it's just a recommendation.

but if sintra's your way, i think you can also do it outside (which you probably mentioned, with the pot on the grill and stuff). i think you can just boil the water until it's bubbling, and i mean REALLY bubbling, then take it outside and then work with it. i don't know, just a thought.

oh, and by the way hopefull, i noticed you mess up in some of your posts the word "the". sometimes you type "hte" instead. you type to fast?
    Last edited by Qman101; Mar 29, 2006 at 10:30 PM.
    Mar 29, 2006, 10:30 PM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #24

btw, what is plexiglass? can someone post a pic of it? not the plexiglass as armor, but just a flat board, or something like that.
    Mar 30, 2006, 6:28 AM - Re: Which is better, fiberglass or plexiglass? #25

Plexiglass is not real glass. More like see-thru plastic. I mean it is plastic. It is sometimes used as a cheap alternative to glass for verandas and stuff.

But going back to the fumes issue. I've always those cheap papermasks and i've never had any real problems. But if you feel light headed, stop and go get some fresh air for 15mins or so, so that you can properly ventilate your lungs. Allthough it will already be too late you'll feel alot better. Just take regular breaks. no need to rush.. right?