Attn: Racerxx, and others interested - Custom Batman Cowl Project

Attn: Racerxx, and others interested - Custom Batman Cowl Project

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker so I don't have as many privileges amongst the boards here. Racerxx, I pmed you but TDH said it didn't go through, so my apologies if I am bombarding you with this question; I'm a college student in Boston, majoring in film and am thinking about doing a Batman short film for a VMA production class project. I know there are many competent and talented sculptors on this forum so I'm curious to see who would be interested in designing/sculpting/casting a custom Batman cowl (and possibly gauntlets) for the Batman I might pursue. This would be in exchange for money, of course, and I have a couple different ideas of how to go about it - but, I'm certainly not the expert when it comes to these things, that's why I need the experts ;]

please respond to this thread if you'd be interested in helping me take on this project, or have any tips/suggestions on how to go about doing it.

I'd appreciate the help

Regards,
    Paul

From
    Schenectady, NY

Re: Attn: Racerxx, and others interested - Custom Batman Cowl Project

Hi Paul, I can't help with the cowl, but I do have a little bit of filmmaking experience. ( Plus some costuming experience ) I'm near Albany, NY not too far away, so I'd be interested in maybe giving you a hand with your short film. Plus I've been a huge Batman fan for a long time.

hey thanks for the response!

I appreciate the offer of a helping hand, I might take you up on it. right now the project is in its infancy, as I'm only beginning to see if this is practical to do within 2 months or not. I'm incredibly ambitious and a huge bat-freak as well. I'm currently working on the score using pro-tools, I'll post a sample on here soon if it will stir some interest in the project.

but sculptors, please feel free to contact me asap. I'd really love to make this work

regards,

Paul

From
    Springfield MO

I would love to help out, but right now i am bogged down with work. After may i have some time opening up.

without knowing what you are wanting to do, i would suggest having the final out of silicone, its great for masks. Also it might be hard to do this over a distance because to get the best results, you should build the form on a bust made of the actor.

Edit*
    You could also go here and get the pep file.
    http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23537
    Last edited by wolfshui; Jan 27, 2010 at 12:27 AM.

Hey, I was thinking of making one. When would you want it by?

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know what a pep file is. I took a look at the link, and saw a wireframe TDK cowl, which is pretty cool. I couldn't open it since I don't have a program compatible with the file - but really I'd like to create a new cowl, something fresh and original, and if anything, influenced by the Begins cowl. Looking for something pretty simplistic but fierce in design. I'll repeat again, I'm very new to the costuming world, but I'd imagine I'd need a sculpt of it regardless of the material used. I was thinking maybe using leather and perhaps pressing it to the cowl's shape. I have no idea how to go about this so please feel free to contribute your thoughts.

I'm looking to complete this project by March-ish

and if one was too far to work with directly, I was hoping someone could walk me through the process of creating a bust of my actor - with a list of materials. I'm not sure if this is practical as I have no experience in the field but these are my ideas anyway

From
    Springfield MO

that can easily be done. casting a full bust is not hard, its just completely new to you.

Here is a great video to see how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-4lH...om=PL&index=37

And this one is great to get the whole process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB2QH...layer_embedded

there are other methods, but these are probably the best.

thanks for the great links! I've started to dabble with the score (I'll be directing/shooting/editing/scoring the entire film) so check it out at http://www.myspace.com/projectparadox13 I'm very serious about taking this on. That score is just a rough idea of my "vision" so to speak... though, hard to say "vision" when you're "listening" to it
    Anyway, by all means, please, somebody consider helping me out!!!

soulonsale said: View Post
    and if one was too far to work with directly, I was hoping someone could walk me through the process of creating a bust of my actor - with a list of materials. I'm not sure if this is practical as I have no experience in the field but these are my ideas anyway
    Are you saying you want to mold your actors head to sculpt on

Yes, because I suppose that will produce the best fit

From
    Springfield MO

That is what i suggest. but there are other alternatives out there. It is what they did for the movie.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Begins

the links above may not be the exact process that the fx team used, it is one of the most common, and will give you a very similar result.

anyone take a listen to the score? http://www.myspace.com/projectparadox13

bump//

keep checking on the myspace, I've been experimenting a lot with the music lately. Just put up an ambiance like track that would most likely go over a narration of sorts

stay tuned, and sculptors please dont hesitate to express interest!

Hi,
    If you're interested in bat films, then this forum
    http://www.runboard.com/bbrotherhoodofthebat
    is where you will find a lot of very talented people.
    With your short project time frame, that might be the best place to check.

thanks for the link