Subscribe
    Dec 27, 2006, 8:57 PM - Another airbrush question. #1

For Christmas I received a Badger 350 airbrush. It's a nice little starter airbrush for base coats on models and props but can't get a small enough spray for detail.

I need recommendations for a good airbrush that can get a finer spray without getting too spendy.
    Dec 27, 2006, 9:00 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #2

Could you just get a smaller needle or tip?
    Dec 27, 2006, 10:11 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #3

i guess i should have noted I'm wanting a double action as well.
    Dec 28, 2006, 9:00 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #4

The badger 350 is great for quick coverage over large areas but no good for small details. You want something with a very small needle and small tip. Look over at the badger Iwatta, or any other airbrush maker site and look over there airbrush list. They have a grid telling what there god for. I will go look at what model I have been using and post it.
    Dec 29, 2006, 3:49 AM - Re: Another airbrush question. #5

Thanks evan.
    I've been looking at the PrecisionAire Pro XFS that the bearair.com site compares to the IWATA HP-B Plus.

Here's the link.
    http://bearair.com/prodinfo.asp?number=100406
  6. Jan 3, 2007, 7:29 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #6

The Good old 350! I remember it well!
    That was the First airbrush I ever used. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago!
    I Love my Badger 155 "Anthem". Comfortable and easy to adjust.
    Also if you have a Michaels near you, they offer 40% off coupons almost every week. That's how I buy mine.
    Hope this helps.
    Wayne
    Jan 4, 2007, 12:48 AM - Re: Another airbrush question. #7

i've got a badger anthem and an iwata eclipse. sadly i have yet to use the eclipse in the 6 months or so since i bought it. but, that's mainly because the badger has done the jobs i've given it well.
    Jan 4, 2007, 1:42 AM - Re: Another airbrush question. #8

Grievous, is the 155 double action?
    Can it get nice hairline detail?
    I've seen the michaels coupons and have considered this already. thanks for the input.
  9. Jan 4, 2007, 7:22 AM - Re: Another airbrush question. #9

Quote digital509 said: View Post
    Grievous, is the 155 double action?
    Can it get nice hairline detail?
    I've seen the michaels coupons and have considered this already. thanks for the input.
    Yes it is a double action model. With the right needle and tip combo you can get a very nice hairline detail.
    I don't remember if the hairline set comes with the airbrush kit or if I bought it seperate.
    Let me know if you have any more Q's.
    GG
    Jan 4, 2007, 7:25 AM - Re: Another airbrush question. #10

I have the Iwata Eclipse (HP-CS), and it is awesome! I can spray as fine as I want, or as large as I want. The only draw back is the cup size (1/3rd). If you are doing larger jobs it gets eaten up pretty fast. For smaller detail jobs, this is the ticket man. I stumbled across a great black wash technique using it. I bought mine for about $100 (minus compressor). You can get a small compressor at Harbor Freight cheaper than the 'air brush' compressors, and they include a regulator. Hope that helps.

Jan 6, 2007, 5:27 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #11

Well, I just picked up an Iwata HP-CS Eclipse off of ebay as well, $102 shipped and it's coming with a 10' braided hose. I thought it was a pretty good deal.
    Jan 6, 2007, 7:16 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #12

Question about compressors!
    I have a small Porter-Cable pancake style commpressor already, for my nail and staple guns and I can regulate the compression settings. I know you can put various attachments on if for inflation purposes but can you use a hobby airbrush?
  13. Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Jan 7, 2007, 3:50 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #13

Quote Rat_Fett said: View Post
    Question about compressors!
    I have a small Porter-Cable pancake style commpressor already, for my nail and staple guns and I can regulate the compression settings. I know you can put various attachments on if for inflation purposes but can you use a hobby airbrush?
    I would guess so, if you have a diaphragm or piston type regulator that vents downstream pressure. (See the other airbrush thread for an explanation.)

Then again, I haven't done it yet, and am no expert, etc., etc.

Paul
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Jan 7, 2007, 4:03 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #14

yes you can, I do it with my husky compressor, just get a moisture trap.
    Jan 7, 2007, 11:08 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #15

Just got back from my parents house and was talking to my dad about the Iwata I just purchased on ebay. He said "I've got an Iwata airbrush downstairs that I used only once to paint a harley sportster tank." A few minutes later he came back up and gave me an Iwata HP-C and a replacement needle. He's had the thing for ever and it will need to be cleaned real good and i think it needs a new spring for the air pressure button, but who cares, you can't beat a free Iwata!
    Jan 8, 2007, 3:40 AM - Re: Another airbrush question. #16

Free is always a good thing, but a free Iwata...SCORE!!
    Jan 13, 2007, 11:52 AM - Re: Another airbrush question. #17

From what it sounds like, I'd probably not be able to use some of the better airbrushes with my Testors Mighty Mini. Or will it just not work very well? With the stock airbrush, it paints adequately-but there's no using it for fine detail etc. Wish I'd have asked more questions before purchasing! Lesson learned...

Jan 13, 2007, 2:00 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #18

Anybody have a Paasche? I can get a double action model Paasche on sale at my local hobby shop for less than the Badger at Michaels with the coupon? Any opinions out there?

Thanks!!!
    Jan 27, 2007, 7:34 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #19

Digital- you will love your eclipse.... very good choice. If you are doing smaller jobs with it you can get a side cup for it so you dont have to mix up a ton of color in the large bottles.

~Mel
    Jan 29, 2007, 2:15 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #20

the Paasche in my opinion is the End All Be All of airbrushes. Durable, easy to clean and dependable. I own four airbrushes currently and that is by far my fav!! I recomend the single action external mix.
    Jan 29, 2007, 3:39 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #21

I've had Badger 150 ILs for almost 20 years. They are workhorses and perfect dual action airbrushes. You can use the cup, the bottles or the caps that fit in to the bottom paint feed tube that screw into the createx and badger paint bottles to paint straight out of the bottle.
    Jan 29, 2007, 5:27 PM - Re: Another airbrush question. #22

Quote evan4218 said: View Post
    the Paasche in my opinion is the End All Be All of airbrushes. Durable, easy to clean and dependable. I own four airbrushes currently and that is by far my fav!! I recomend the single action external mix.
    interesting... i've never been fond of single action. i find them really hard to control.

i used to use paasche vls as my main brushes, back when airbrushed t shirts were all sorts of cool and i used to make most of my spending money that way.

i took a looooong time off from it, then picked up a badger anthem to doodle with / use for weathering. so far, i've been really pleased with it, much to my surprise. i used to hate badger, but this one actually feels a lot like the VLs.

i also have an iwata eclipse that has yet to feel paint. i got it on sale (50% off!) and put it aside for when / if i get serious about it again.

which reminds me, i still need to get a moisture trap for my compressor.