Re: Bordens

Mojo put me down for two and theyre glued

From
    QUEENS, NEW YORK

im down for 2 too

Account Deactivated

Yes they are definently glued in place using what looks like an old epoxy Arildite the old stuff used to be yellow when mixed

i've always just drilled a hole through the helmet and glued it in.

Account Deactivated

not only while you need to drill the hole through the cheek, you need to go right through the caston borden conector and get it flush '
    Wht i do is drill a hole through the cast borden then place a dremel small drum bore through it back wards,so the drum is siting on the outside of the helmet and the metel rod inside then atach it to the dremal whilst still in placethen turn it on on the slower setting and pull it back through = perfect results every time

count me in for two sets

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

Gav, count me in for one.

From
    UK

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Hmmm I dunno about that one Mojo...do u think its possible it was SS back in the 70s and they make it out of brass now to save $$? Also check my PM on the knee darts.
    I'm not sure on this to be honest.. I've not seen any ref that 100% determines what it was.
    What I have posted in the 1st post is the kinda pre-pro version where it clearly shows a stainless Steel version, so would look awesome set into the GMH...
    I was gonna do the Brass versions as from the ones I have they are Brass (core material) with plating.

If there is anyone that has a gem of ref to the Borden used on say the Hero lid I'd love to see it.

From
    UK

Mojo put me down for two and theyre glued

This is exactly how these will be fitted (as per originals) why offer accurate Borden's only to have them screwed into the lid?

From
    UK

Oh and I forgot to add...

I will need to know what version you guys want? St/St or plated Brass?
    as I said in initial post, I'm still getting costs in for the brass version.

Account Deactivated

SS for me since I'm ROTJ

From
    bozeman, mt go cats!!!

stainless for me as well, rotj represent.

From
    UK

Cheers Nate and SN.. will update the list for ya.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

SS for me as well mojo...thanks for the reply on the darts too...I lost the right pointy one on I kinda need to upgrade and replace haha

From
    UK

SS for me as well mojo...thanks for the reply on the darts too...I lost the right pointy one on I kinda need to upgrade and replace haha
    Yeah I'll have both sorted for ya...

It's my opinion that all the borden style pieces on the fett helmets are not actual found pieces, but rather quick and dirty pieces that were machined by the machine shop to emulate the found part (in this case a borden connector).
    They did a similar thing to the spiraled greeblies found on the tie pilot helmets and tie pilot/imperial officer belt buckles.

I think they are all either aluminum and polished or stainless. I don't think any were brass.
    The ESB hero is clearly not brass. The brass color you see is actually the beige-ish paint that was spattered all over the helmet.
    There are some good pictures that show this clearly.

From
    USAF Utah

Gino thats a pretty fair assesment...I think that would be way easier for them also

Account Deactivated

Ill get either 2 SS and 1 brass(if it can be proven they did use brass ones in any other lids)
    If not ill get 3 SS please

From
    UK

jinto said: View Post
    Ill get either 2 SS and 1 brass(if it can be proven they did use brass ones in any other lids)
    If not ill get 3 SS please
    I'll stick ya down for 3 stainless unless things with the brass Info changes bruv..

Account Deactivated

Gino said: View Post
    It's my opinion that all the borden style pieces on the fett helmets are not actual found pieces, but rather quick and dirty pieces that were machined by the machine shop to emulate the found part (in this case a borden connector).
    They did a similar thing to the spiraled greeblies found on the tie pilot helmets and tie pilot/imperial officer belt buckles.

I think they are all either aluminum and polished or stainless. I don't think any were brass.

Gino,
    Why do you believe this?
    Sure, it's possible but I don't understand why they would machine something they had in hand.
    can you help me out?

From
    USAF Utah

well how many swing arms would they have taken apart for all the Boba Parts? Would it have made sense to machine everything?

From
    UK

This is the type/level of discussion I wanted to see... I wanna hear theories and or see any ref that maybe eluding me.
    I want to produce the most accurate part so this can only be healthy..

slave1pilot said: View Post
    Gino,
    Why do you believe this?
    Sure, it's possible but I don't understand why they would machine something they had in hand.
    can you help me out?

Sure thing.
    When you look at the hi-res pics of the bordens on the real helmets, you can see some aspects that point toward not being a real piece.
    One thing is the 3 holes themselves. On the real found part bordens, the holes have very precise bevels on the hole openings.
    The ones on the helmets are very irregular and you can tell they were just created with a hobby file. Not necessarily to re-create the bevels, but probably more to remove the metal flashing from when the holes were drilled.

Another thing is the front surface (the surface facing you when you look at the helmet).
    You can clearly see the rough machining marks in a swirl pattern. The grain is very coarse which means they were cut very messy and quick with no thought of a nice finished surface.
    On every real borden I've ever seen, the surface is absolutely flawless.

I agree, it does make more sense to just get a bunch of random found parts vs making machined copies.
    I do know that having parts made from the machine shop for the OT productions was quite easy for them and they did a lot of it.
    There are examples of other found parts that they replicated in mass (although that still doesn't seem like the easiest way to me either) but we know for a fact they did it for some other found parts.

Gav has some pretty decent pics of the aspects I described on the real helmets' bordens.
    Gav-feel free to post them, the ones we discussed awhile back.

I will side with Gino on this, it just seems smarter to do. They probably had one of those bordens on hand, and when they made all the helmets that they sent to the various artists, they probably just machined more and slapped them in there as opposed to buying 6+ more after the initial build.

I can buy in to Gino's theory as well. If you think about it... the bordon connector is still made/used today, yet the holes don't line up right. In order to get a real one to look like that you have to cut it off and flip it around. I wouldn't imagine they'd go through that much effort.

I'd guess that somewhere along the line they used a real one that was laying around. When they wanted to make more helmets they could have just taken a piece of metal stock, drilled some holes in it, then chopped slices off.

Either way, stainless for me