Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

GMH - THE definitive Boba Fett Helmet - UPDATE Sept. 4th 2012

Re: GMH - THE definitive Boba Fett Helmet - UPDATE March 25 2012

PM Coming, just to make sure you have the right address.

From
    Salem, Oregon

Helmet Arrived today! thanks again Chris

Account Deactivated

These are looking great!

GMH arrived today, safe and sound. Thanks Chris! It's a really nice cast and will be a welcome addition to my collection!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imageuploadedbytapatalk1332894547-865841-jpg   imageuploadedbytapatalk1332894561-022055-jpg   imageuploadedbytapatalk1332894571-572760-jpg  

imageuploadedbytapatalk1332894589-506960-jpg   imageuploadedbytapatalk1332894599-772343-jpg  

From
    Dayton, Ohio

nice picts.. I cant wait!

From
    SJ, CA

Got the helmet today and its fantastic! Opened it in my office for all my coworkers to see and they thought it was the dorkiest thing, and dorkier still that I was so excited about it.

Now THAT ... is awesome

shenphong said: View Post
    Got the helmet today and its fantastic! Opened it in my office for all my coworkers to see and they thought it was the dorkiest thing, and dorkier still that I was so excited about it.

From
    Boerne, Texas, United States

You have to love that feeling of pulling the helmet at the box and looking at it for the first time.

*deleted*
    Last edited by fettpride; Mar 30, 2012 at 5:54 PM.

From
    Germany

I am glad for Chris that the ball is rolling again!

That´s the truth!

From
    UK

fettpride said: View Post
    Don't think it's a helmet though
    tease...

Hi Chris.I know this is not the correct thread but,do you have my tracking info?

Thanks.

From
    Moreno Valley, CA

Hi Chris,

PM sent.

From
    Los Angeles

great thanks. I misread the first part of the thread. thanks for the clarification Chris.

DELETED
    Last edited by MandoNick; Mar 31, 2012 at 1:56 PM.

Updated post #1 with more tracking / corrected tracking

Couple more later today

Just a few more and we're done !

Chris
    Last edited by fettpride; Mar 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM.

Re: GMH - THE definitive Boba Fett Helmet - UPDATE March 31st 2012

Chris.PM sent.

Woohoo!!!! I see tracking numbers by my name!!!

So I have to ask, why is it that some of us are receiving fiberglass helmets and some of us are receiving rotocast resin helmets?

As far as Iknow they are all fibreglass, I don't think Chris does the rotocast thing. He is just very good at glass work.

Craig

The helmet I received is rotocast resin.

Yes, there certainly is a mix. And, there are a couple of reasons actually.

First and foremost, this was one hell of a task. The fact is, there was no way for me, or anyone else working alone for that matter to be able to complete a task this size without some technological assistance. Helping hands in the form of equipment, if you will.

Secondly, I seem to have developed a sensitivity to fiberglass. Since the majority of you folks are newer here, it may not be common knowledge that I've been at it this for nearly 14 years. It's been slowly catching up with me. Whereas it's not normally a huge thing in smaller doses, fiberglass in this quantity for one man is pretty toxic, to say the least. I've been transitioning away from glass for nearly 3 years. And, I hope to transition completely away from it someday.

If there is a concern with fiberglass vs. rotocast vs. quality … make no mistake, none of my pieces are are cheap hand slush "layered" resin. My roto items are one shot vented "machine rotocast", for starters. No cheap general purpose resins used (like Smooth-Cast for instance). In fact, composites have come so far in the last few years, I found my huckleberry. Much like the "Hyperfirm" gentleman, it's a bit of a trade secret. But the formulation is very different, and more expensive might I add. The reliability of pieces made with it, can be compared to any of my fiberglass pieces. My confidence is so much so that I include a one year written warranty on all of my machine rotocast items to help instill confidence in the newer products. No urethane foam resin helmets, like the Sgt. Fang.

Chris
    Last edited by fettpride; Apr 1, 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Account Deactivated
    From
    Spain

And from the pics I've seen of them, it looks to be a really smooth rotocast and high quality too.

KaanE said: View Post
    And from the pics I've seen of them, it looks to be a really smooth rotocast and high quality too.
    Thanks

To date, nothing but happy campers Funny enough, That's been the primary complaint over the years too. More so over the recent couple of years with newer folks that have never been around glass. Chaffing cheeks on rough fiberglass textured interiors, It seems that no matter how smooth I get the glass interiors these days, it's still not enough lol

Thank you for the response, Chris. That's pretty much what I figured.

I also understand and sympathize with the sensitivity issue. I've developed a similar sensitivity to solvents myself over the years.

I guess if I have any beef with the situation it boils down to what has been the consistent issue over the past 18 months: communication. I bought what I thought was one thing and when I opened the package what I received was something else. And after 18 months of waiting it felt like a slap in the face.

Rotocast helmets are not "better" just a different way of approaching the solution (I have other helmets that are are of high quality rotocast resin the difference is I knew what I was buying into when I started). To just assume that everyone is going to be OK with your changing the conditions of the sale without notice just confounds me. Your reasons for choosing the rotocast solution strike me as completely reasonable and valid and if I had been presented with the situation before hand I probably wouldn't have minded so much. But to do so without letting anyone know, to me, is insulting.

If others are happy with their purchase that's fine, they have every right to be, and the smooth cheeks will no doubt benefit those that will be wearing their helmets.

Just a heads up to other buyers who have not received their order and are expecting a Fiberglass helmet: you will most likely be receiving a very finely crafted helmet of rotocast resin. Adjust your expectations accordingly.