Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

DVH painting/building services

From
    Florida Gulf Coast

Re: DVH painting/building services

Darth Voorhees said: View Post
    Well my finances tell me i cant stop taking commissions for the winter if i want to continue to live happily. I just had to have a surgical procedure done to remove a growth on my lip which cost me $200, and i have a bill coming for a biposy. Dont worry though guys, both my doc and my Dermatologist says it doesnt look like anything to worry about, its just procedure to do the biopsy.

Also this month i was hit with a $425 electric bill due to the meter readings being estimated since March...we finally got an actual reading and now i owe $425.

This past check at my job sucked, it was a whopping $512. thats for 2 weeks. I was out sick one day and we had the jewish holidays we didnt get paid for.

So..if anyone needs anything painted...im up to do more work!

I will be switching most of my painting over to airbrush (with enamels) to lessen the fumes/mess in my apt.
    Sorry to hear you're taking a financial hit. I know you know this but still keep it confined and ventilated, and wear a respirator. Unless you are doing a really small project the fumes can build up quickly. Even with a small airbrush.

Re: DVH painting/building services Winter 2012!

thanks Fettered, yes absolutely. Its still much less mess than the rattlecans. But of course, i always use proper ventilation and a mask.

Re: DVH painting/building services Winter 2012!

OK folks! i got a member wanting me to do a few things for him, so that will keep me busy for the time being. Once im nearing the end of those, ill take more commissions

From
    Massachusetts

I'll have to keep an eye on this DV, when you are taking on more.

Got2bfett said: View Post
    I'll have to keep an eye on this DV, when you are taking on more.
    PM sent brother

Re: DVH painting/building services[DISCONTINUED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE]

I just wanted to post this last message here in this thread. I will no longer be doing commissions for any build or paint work until further notice.

I dont know how many of you know this, but i have been doing all of this work in a 1 bedroom apartment. I used to use the apt's "Bedroom" as my work room. But then i got married and eventually gave in to the wife wanting an actual bedroom instead of us sleeping on the futon in the livingroom as i have done myself while using the bedroom as a workspace.

So then i moved onto using the rest of the place. I trim all the packs and parts in my living room. Which needless to say causes a huge mess. resin dust EVERYWHERE. So it takes me quite a bit of time to clean that all up.

For painting, Id set up a table near the kitchen window and do most of my spraypainting there. The problems with this is i get spraypaint dust all over everything in the kitchen. So it had to be thoroughly cleaned after every painting session in there. Again, taking alot of time. I have moved to airbrush for the most part, but still find myself clinging onto some spraypaints like the matt clearcoat and black primer weathering. The floor in my kitchen is a mess and honestly i just dont want to mess up my apartment anymore. Not to mention breathing in the fumes. I also have 2 cats id rather not expose to this stuff on a regular basis. In the spring i will be using my In-laws house to do my work. They have a backyard and a porch i can use. Problem with this is its 1 and a half hour drive away, and i dont own a car. So its at their discretion when i can be picked up and dropped off. This will effect my finishing time drastically, and seeing how alot of people are being penalized for their time frames...i feel rather than have unpredictable time frames, i may just not do the work all together. But we will see what happens in the spring.

I just want to thank everyone who has gotten work from me for their support and i hope you are all happy with it. Thank you all very very much.
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Dec 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM.

From
    Pennsylvania

Dude, don't stop painting, your too good. I was hoping to have you do my jp when I get it in a few months. If you decide to stop,altogether, I am sure someone here would take your airbrushing tools off your hands if you wanted to sell them.

From
    Inland Empire, CA

Maybe it's just me, but dam, man, you sound down in the dumps. Chin up! Your paintwork looks great. Fingers crossed that the situation improves.

I just wanted to post this last message here in this thread. I will no longer be doing commissions for any build or paint work until further notice.

I dont know how many of you know this, but i have been doing all of this work in a 1 bedroom apartment. I used to use the apt's "Bedroom" as my work room. But then i got married and eventually gave in to the wife wanting an actual bedroom instead of us sleeping on the futon in the livingroom as i have done myself while using the bedroom as a workspace.

So then i moved onto using the rest of the place. I trim all the packs and parts in my living room. Which needless to say causes a huge mess. resin dust EVERYWHERE. So it takes me quite a bit of time to clean that all up.

For painting, Id set up a table near the kitchen window and do most of my spraypainting there. The problems with this is i get spraypaint dust all over everything in the kitchen. So it had to be thoroughly cleaned after every painting session in there. Again, taking alot of time. I have moved to airbrush for the most part, but still find myself clinging onto some spraypaints like the matt clearcoat and black primer weathering. The floor in my kitchen is a mess and honestly i just dont want to mess up my apartment anymore. Not to mention breathing in the fumes. I also have 2 cats id rather not expose to this stuff on a regular basis. In the spring i will be using my In-laws house to do my work. They have a backyard and a porch i can use. Problem with this is its 1 and a half hour drive away, and i dont own a car. So its at their discretion when i can be picked up and dropped off. This will effect my finishing time drastically, and seeing how alot of people are being penalized for their time frames...i feel rather than have unpredictable time frames, i may just not do the work all together. But we will see what happens in the spring.

I just want to thank everyone who has gotten work from me for their support and i hope you are all happy with it. Thank you all very very much.

From
    Florida Gulf Coast

You'll get things sorted mate. Happy Wife = Happy Life.

High Speed Low Drag Fett 4 Real's Avatar
    From
    USAF Utah

Hit me up on FB Lou, might have some ideas thatll help with your lack of space.

will do dom!

jc..thanks for the compliments.. dont worry i probably wont stop for good. ill just take less commissions to make up for the time. unless dom has some useful tips either way though noy taking any more commissions until feb or march.

From
    Jacksonville, NC

Not sure where u live or if it's feasible, but what about renting a local storage unit to set up shop in?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

i wish i could rent a space but i can barely make rent sometimes. just cant afford it. Plus around here there would be few and far between places willing or even available. kinda sucks.

im tryin to work somethin out to continue to offer my work to you all. I really appreciate all your kind words and support
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Dec 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM.

after talking with fett4real he gave me a few ideas that i think will work so i can continue offering my build and paint services. but syill want to wait until at least feb. before i take any more commissions.

so a big thanks to fett4real for the ideas!

From
    USAF Utah

after talking with fett4real he gave me a few ideas that i think will work so i can continue offering my build and paint services. but syill want to wait until at least feb. before i take any more commissions.

so a big thanks to fett4real for the ideas!
    Gotta keep the community happy with service, cant do it all myself. Will be working hard this weekend setting up shop the rest of the way at least.

rubio95 said: View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but dam, man, you sound down in the dumps. Chin up! Your paintwork looks great. Fingers crossed that the situation improves.

Na not down in the dumps...just realizing my current situation isnt working. But like i just posted above, Fett4real had some good ideas. I think i will be able to impliment them and continue to do the work for you guys. I love doing it, it just sometimes messes up the living quarters and the wife doesnt love that so much, and sometimes neither do i lol. But hey, she wanted the bedroom right? LOL

From
    Inland Empire, CA

Gotcha.

I hope that between you and Fett 4 Real, you're able to get it sorted out.

Good luck.

Na not down in the dumps...just realizing my current situation isnt working. But like i just posted above, Fett4real had some good ideas. I think i will be able to impliment them and continue to do the work for you guys. I love doing it, it just sometimes messes up the living quarters and the wife doesnt love that so much, and sometimes neither do i lol. But hey, she wanted the bedroom right? LOL

From
    North Carolina

Re: DVH painting/building services[DISCONTINUED UNTIL FEB 2013]

Glad you have some new ideas, DVH. I always wondered how it would even be possible to get certain things done in a major metro area - it's hard enough to find hobby space on a budget around here, and I live in a metro about 1/100 the size of NYC. Can't even imagine.
    Good luck in keeping your commissions going! Your paintjobs look great and I have proof you're a good guy to deal with.

Morbios said: View Post
    Glad you have some new ideas, DVH. I always wondered how it would even be possible to get certain things done in a major metro area - it's hard enough to find hobby space on a budget around here, and I live in a metro about 1/100 the size of NYC. Can't even imagine.
    Good luck in keeping your commissions going! Your paintjobs look great and I have proof you're a good guy to deal with.
    Thanks man Yea if i lived in a house with use of the backyard it would even work. But my Apt doesnt have a backyard i can use. :/

I probably should have never given up the "bedroom" workspace...sigh..oh well.

From
    USAF Utah

Dude your gonna be ok, if you build it you can paint lol

Fett 4 Real said: View Post
    Dude your gonna be ok, if you build it you can paint lol
    haha! Very true! Thanks again for the ideas!

UPDATE 3-2013
    I AM NO LONGER DOING COMMISSIONS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

As much as i love doing the work,most of the time,lol, it keeps me in my house on my butt every weekend. Ive been gaining weight like mad and i need to sort out my health, lose some weight, and get out a bit more and enjoy my other hobby, which is bike riding and flatland BMX. I also need to get out with the wife instead of sitting home almost every weekend in the house working on stuff. Its just not what i should be doing right now. I hope you guys understand what im saying. I will eventually do commissions again, but im not sure when. I still have quite a few to finish that im hoping will be done before the summer so i can enjoy the outside. thanks folks!
    Last edited by Darth Voorhees; Mar 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM.