Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Asok's Jango and Boba Helmet Run Going on Now

From
    Indiana

Re: Asok's Jango and Boba Helmet Run Going on Now

I wanted to take a minute to post in this thread in light of the news that Art has posted this evening.

Asok's Props continues to exist. Two years ago, Bill came to me and asked if I could help him out part time as he was having problems keeping up with the demand as well as he would like. I said yes and started to learn the business of casting. When he found out several weeks ago how bad things were he looked at me and said "I guess this means you are now Asok." I have some huge shoes to fill. I am an active member of the same Garrison that Bill is here in Indiana. I have been for about 6 years. I love costuming and everything that is involved with it.

Thanks again to everyone for the outpouring of love that we have seen for him.

Christy

From
    Pennsylvania

If Bill had faith in you to carry on for him, everyone here knows that you will carry the torch for him and continue legacy.

From
    Canada, on the planet of Hoth.

Thank you Christy!

Give Bill our luv from the TDH.

From
    Connecticut

By taking over for him, you Honor the spirit of TDH as well as ASOK. Thank you for doing so.

asok said: View Post
    When he found out several weeks ago how bad things were he looked at me and said "I guess this means you are now Asok."
    Okay, I'd been pretty numb with all of this since I first found out a couple days ago, but when I read that I kinda lost it. That is so Bill of him. Bastard. How dare he be so awesome? Thanks for carrying on (literally) in his name, Christy.

--Jonah

From
    Indiana

Thanks everyone, I will do my utmost best to carry on Bill's legacy the way he would have wanted.

From
    Frederick, United States

I can say this- Christy has been great to work with so far and is living up to the asok name in customer service.

From
    Denmark

i take it that you are done with this run for now ?
    if so any eta when you will start the next one and do you only ship within the us ?

Edit : Send a email
    Last edited by Jigglenomicon; Aug 4, 2013 at 5:40 PM.

From
    Indiana

I am still casting on the run and I will ship anywhere. If it is outside the US there will be an extra charge for shipping.

From
    New Jersey

Hello! I was wondering if my ticket is still valid or if I need to send for a new one? Unless all the previous tickets are still going to be done.
    Thanks!

From
    Indiana

Bill set up the ticket system for us to be able to work together on orders. I will continue to work from the same ticket system, so orders will continue to be filled in the order that I received them in the system.

In other words, you don't need to send me a new ticket, it's still valid.

These kits look great. I have been wanting to put together a Jango for a while. I checked out the other thread you linked to so I saw how you put it together and polished it. It seems though that the helmet you are wearing in your avatar is a lot more polished than the one in that thread. Is that a Cold Cast helmet in the avatar? How do you get the super shinny finish? When I try to see how to polish a cold cast part I just see the steel wool process and the result is still pretty dull IMO. Before I get a helmet I want to make sure that I will be able to make it look like the one in your avatar.

From
    Indiana

The Helmet in the picture is the helmet that Bill had used for years. I asked his wife and neither of us is sure that it is one of his casts. If it is it's an early one. He kept talking about making a new helmet for himself, but was so busy helping everyone else he never had the time.

With that being said, it is possible to get the cold cast layer that shiny. Start with #0 steel wool and then then move on to #0000 steel wool. Once done a coat of clear coat paint to keep away finger prints in the cold cast layer and you should be good. It takes some elbow grease, but I've seen it done.

From
    North Texas

This is my Asok that I have trooped with for years now.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In this pic the dome looks very shiny, in other pics it looks less shiny........I think it has tons to do with the lighting and the photographer. But if you buff out the cold cast very smooth and hit it with some polish it will shine plenty.

oh and one more thing.....I use steel wool to start but as I go on I use wet sanding with 800 and even 1000 grit right before I hit it with the Mother's metal polish. It takes some time but you can get an Asok to that super shine. Saint_nasty is good at getting that shine too, check out some of his WIP threads.

From
    Indiana

Mullreel, thanks for the suggestions. I agree with you on the lighting in the photos. The avatar picture was taken by a friend that has a professional grade camera and has his own portrait lighting equipment, so the amount of shine is at it's maximum.

I have a question for you. If you use the metal polish it's my understanding that paint will not stick to it. Is that your experience? I only ask, because I'm getting ready to start my own custom build so that I have the experience of building one myself and not just casting them. Ok that and I have some people asking and I need the advise.

Thanks!
    Christy

PS: and yes Saint_Nasty does a fantastic job on his paint jobs.

From
    North Texas

I don't use the metal polish on any of the painted sections so I have never had a problem with the paint sticking. The metal polish will leave a thin layer of "oil" for lack of a better term on the surface even after you buff it down. I would think it could cause a problem with the paint if you were to paint over it.

On the Jango helmets I polish everything at the very last, just before I add the weathering. So the paint is already on when I hit it with the polish. On the Boba helmets I don't use the polish at all (except once because I wasn't going to paint it for a while) since the silver parts are all base layers.

And yes it is certainly ok to ask about things, that is the beauty of this forum.

From
    Indiana

Thanks. I have a GMH that didn't pull quite right and I was going to sell it as a second, but I've decided that I want to fill the dent and put it together as a custom done in Purples and Greys. Purple was Bill's favorite color. Whether I will ever do the rest of the armor to go with it is debatable, but it will be a nice tribute to him.

Do you use a Smooth on resin for this helmet of is it made with something else?

From
    Indiana

The outer cold cast layer is a clear gel coat resin that I get from a company out of Chicago called Eager Polymers. It is mixed with the Aluminum powder. The inner 3 layers are done with Smooth On's 65D roto resin.

From
    So. Cal. USA

Received my Fett Budget Helmet. Love it, TY.

From
    Long Beach, CA

My Motto...."Rock an ASOK!"

From
    Frederick, United States

OBrotherRacing said: View Post
    My Motto...."Rock an ASOK!"
    I currently have 3 in my collection and will never give them up!

From
    Hawaii

Got my helmet today. Thanks Christy!

From
    Indiana

So glad to hear you like them!