Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3D Printed Boba Fett Jetpack harness

3D Printed Boba Fett Jetpack harness

Boba Fett jetpack harness modeled after the film used version but adapted to be 3D printed. Very light weight & flexible. Weighing in at 5.5 oz.

The main tube frame is only hollow in the lower 3.5 inches.

The bar that the lower jetpack hooks would attach to isn't included, but there are provisions to allow for the use of an 8-32 screw that would go through the tubes & thread into a recessed nut on the opposite side. Where the screw goes through the tube it is supported all the way through so there won't be a collapse. I would recommend using an .125" thick by .500" wide bar of aluminum or steel.

The lower bracket that would house the belt rings will flex open to allow the rings to slide in & then it will slip over the lower section of the frame. This bracket can then be bolted to the frame to make the lower section rigid. There are recesses that 8-32 nuts can be pressed into with the aid of pliers.

The rings are all .250" diameter. The uppers will accept 1.5" wide straps & the lower will accept 2.0" wide straps.

Some light sanding would be required to smooth out the print lines.

The completed photos show how the harness will look when competed. Explanation of how the straps were made & attached can be found here:
    http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/f31/3...74/#post628974

Price is for the raw harness with no straps. Not offering assembled harnesses at this time.

Price is $133.50 + shipping

This can be purchased here:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/CSBProps

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf4803-1-jpg   dscf4836-1-jpg   dscf4806-1-jpg  

dscf4798-1-jpg   dscf4819-1-jpg   dscf4800-1-jpg  

dscf4850-1-jpg   dscf4851-1-jpg   dscf5126-1-jpg  

dscf5114-1-jpg   dscf5124-1-jpg   dscf5116-1-jpg  

dscf5120-1-jpg   dscf5113-1-jpg   dscf5118-1-jpg  

dscf5129-1-jpg  
    Last edited by toolguy301; Apr 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM.

Re: 3D Printed Boba Fett Jetpack harness

That turned out great mate. Looks like it won't kill postage to me also.

From
    Ferndale, MI

Awesome! What a great idea!

Updated first post with painted, weathered, & assembled (minus straps). Added aluminum bar for the lower hooks.

That is pretty awesome man! have you tested durability yet? Love it man!

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Did some test by putting some strapping on to do a mock up and wore it around & feels pretty good. My durability test so far has been a pull test with my hands & rigged up a harness to hold a couple of 10 pound weights (20 pounds total) similar to how the jetpack is attached.Can't get the hoop area to even flex which the harness is solid in this area. The lower 3.5" of the tubes is the only section that is hollow (copied from PVC tubing) except where the screw goes through to mount the aluminum bar, that area is solid. With the lower bracket slid over & screwed together & the aluminum bar attached this is very rigid & strong with no flexing. The added bracket on the bottom tapers down from .560" to .250" with a full radius. This allows the .250" diameter ring to sit nicely & with the radius & short wall that bracket won't flex in this area. The overall harness frame does have some flexibility but with it against your back it stays pretty flat. The rings are .250" diameter they have some flex but with the strapping it distributes the weight over the lengths. For this mock up I used 1.5" nylon webbing which will be replaced with 2" wide seat belt webbing, which will help distribute weight on the rings better.

With the 20 pounds that is over 3 times heavier than my pack which weighs just under 6 pounds. I wouldn't think that any pack would be much more than 10 pounds unless in the case of smoke machines & lots of extra components that I have seen would add considerably more weight. With the 20 pounds you could tell it was there & I wouldn't want to do a long troop with that much on my back it would definitely create some pain for a couple of days. The the pack is static load other than some movement from walking there isn't any other forces applied to the harness other than if like my wife (Boushh) has had occur on some troops where people have actually pulled on her tanks & armor from behind, which there is a harness hidden under the tunic, I think this would still hold up well in a situation such as that.

I engineered this thinking about how this harness works & taking into consideration the areas that would get all the forces & how to make those areas strong. The upper hoop & the lower area where the lower rings are truly get all the forces & by adding the extra bracket that slides over the lower portion of the tube & how it is screwed together it is very strong. The hoop area is naturally strong due to it being an arch. So based on my initial tests so far I think it would hold up to trooping. I know that with this being a different approach & unconventional I can understand being questioned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf4867-1-jpg   dscf4869-1-jpg  

From
    Oklahoma City

Looks good. Great work.

Thanks, been wearing this around the house with the weights seeing how well it holds up. Surprising even with the 20 pounds it is pretty comfortable. Have had it on with the weights for a max of 5 hours at this point, but been doing a couple hours here & there this week. No back pain or being sore.

From
    Bakersfield CA

Ordered a bunch of stuff from your site yesterday. The stuff looks awesome.

Thank you for the order & the complement.

Bump for the weekend.

From
    Portland, OR

This looks like a fanstastic idea! I have been really needing to come up with a harness. If you're going to be doing them a while I'll have to pick one up, like next month!

They are available anytime & are made when ordered. If you have any questions let me know. Thank you for the interest.

This is real tempting. I've pieced together all the strapping and hardware and I've got some tubing and sheetmetal... but this would save me a bunch of time in the shop.

I'll be placing an order on monday

From
    PR

From
    Bakersfield CA

Just got my Pack frame, toe spikes and dental files yesterday in the mail. These are awesome stuff. The pack frame is very strong and super light. Great stuff

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Screw it... I've been not building my frame for weeks now and it's the last big piece I need.

Placing an order.

Thank you for the order.

From
    Pennsylvania

I am guessing that you don't have a way to provide the straps needed
    for the harness. Anybody know who makes them?

Jc27 said: View Post
    I am guessing that you don't have a way to provide the straps needed
    for the harness. Anybody know who makes them?
    I'm going to make my own. If it doesn't prove to be too difficult or time consuming(I highly doubt it will) I could make you a set.

Working on what would work for a kit for the strapping to go with the harness frame. Currently working on mine & one for a member in the local garrison. Using 2" seat belt strapping for the black (Order Straps, Buckles, Tie-Downs & More | Strapworks.com) & 1.5" wide white nylon for the straps connected to the jetpack.

From
    PR

From
    Pennsylvania

Sweet. Post your progress if you can.