Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Zam's Gloves

Re: Zam's Gloves

Moncal, I know this sounds cheezy, but seriously, take your camera and just take pics, and don't purchase. That way you're not wasting any money. And won't have to return it if it's not right. And, make sure the tag is flipped out so that we know the manufacturer. Then post. I wish I had done this with several purchases. I would have saved myself from lotsa lost dough. But hopefully, they are pretty close! So, yeah lets all collaborate and then throw money at ya.

I'm sorry but that just makes me laugh. I thought about doing that when I was standing there with my high res glossy print of Dallas' picture looking at all the gloves. There were a couple employees across the room just watching me...I'm usually not so bold...I don't even like to go out to eat by myself. To be honest, I didn't even notice the price. I'll try to get back over there tomorrow. If they're not too expensive I'll probably just buy a pair.

MonCal wrote:

I'm sorry but that just makes me laugh. I thought about doing that when I was standing there with my high res glossy print of Dallas' picture looking at all the gloves. There were a couple employees across the room just watching me...I'm usually not so bold...I don't even like to go out to eat by myself. To be honest, I didn't even notice the price. I'll try to get back over there tomorrow. If they're not too expensive I'll probably just buy a pair.
    Hey I never go to eat out by myself. Lunch at the desk doesn't count.

Well, sorry for raising your hopes about the gloves...I bought them, brought them home and decided I'm not happy with the stitching. I think I'm going to just make some. That way I can use a grey or white and the stitching will be more accurate. If I use white, I might use the same material I'll use for the vest and cumberbun.

Edit: Here are a couple pics of the gloves I found anyway.

They look almost white in the pictures but they are a light grey. A person would probably have to remove the red edging and stitch the slit together on the underneath side. This pair was a size small which is obviously too big for my wife She wasn't with me when I bought them..doh! They did have an extra small and the grey had a hint of tan in the color.

edit: If for some reason pics don't show up I just either right click on the red "x" and click "show picture" or refresh and it usually works.....

Personally, I think that it's probably a white glove that they made by hand, only, they airbrush painted the glove a grayish color first, before they sewed it. I haven't been able to find any grey gloves that are smooth. Then, I think that they airbrushed it purple afterwards. The shoes are custom, I think the gloves are too...who knows?

Kathy made her own gloves a couple months ago..... I just haven't taken pics until just now

She even got the double stitch down the finger but she had to do the thumb different :

Not too shabby for her first ever pair of gloves

They're from the same lambskin leather we're using for the vest, cummerbund, and shoe tops.

Very nice!

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Those look great! Love to see the pics once they're painted/dyed!

I picked up a Vogue glove pattern (when it was on sale!) and was going to modify that with the extra stitching and adding a bit of padding.

From
    Michigan

Nice work! I like how they are longer at the wrist to tuck underneath the gauntlets.

Hi Guys,

I'll tell you how I did it, I just bought a pair of black leather gloves and painted them purple, with a special dye that I can get custom made in any colour. It worked perfectly, the dye doesn't come off and doesn't crack. If you want it I could order some for you in the color you want.

Check out my pics (if you haven't already) www.starwarscostumes.tk

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Yikes... finally got around to making these blasted gloves. Went to make a test set from the Vogue pattern out of muslin... and forget it! Waaay too small (either that or my hands are just fat... I dunno :/ ) Certainly is challenging to sew I have to say. Think I'm going to have to draft my own pattern, modifying the Vogue pattern to make all the fingers and gussets bigger.

I have a pair of grey gloves if all else fails...

Well.. I must say ... kudos to giving it a go!! I am not the seamstress of the house but from what I understand gloves aren't exactly easy

good luck with the progress!!

From
    New York, New York

Save yourself a lot of trouble, MM. Buy a pair of cheap gloves at the thrift store that fit you and cut them apart at the seams. Use them for a pattern.

I've tried and tried to alter that #$%&^ing Vogue glove pattern to be Jubilee gloves and it doesn't freaking fit ANYBODY.

In an attempt to keep this vaguely on topic, I did find my new Zam gloves, in that more studio-esque purpley color, at Lowe's. I just altered them slightly, took out some of the detail stitching and added cotton cuffs to them to make them long enough that they'd stay under the gauntlets. Cheap, easy and quick, although not necessarily screen accurate.

Julie

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Iceheart said:
    I've tried and tried to alter that #$%&^ing Vogue glove pattern to be Jubilee gloves and it doesn't freaking fit ANYBODY.
    Sure... NOW you tell me!

Actually... it was a good learning experience! Yes, that's what it was. After a few good stiff drinks I decided it was a good learning experience! At least I don't have fat hands! And in my desperation I did manage to find a couple good websites about glovemaking which talk about custom fitting, though I haven't had the time to really read through. But I like your idea of cutting apart a pair of cheap gloves and using them for a pattern even better (though not my grey ones...). Okay... got some work to do here!

Maulmaus can you send me the link to the websites on glove making? Been wanting to take a stab at that, any help would be great. :thumbup

Rudy G.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Ooops... Knew I forgot to do something!

http://www.glove.org/

How to Make Gloves (1950) A vintage site, but with quite a bit of useful info!

Those were the two main sites I found, though there are probably more.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Okay, I've modified, redrafted, revamped, changed, altered and redone those gloves! I've got a new pattern and I'm working on the "muslin" prototype today! I couldn't find any gloves to cut apart (Have you tried to find "fashion" or "driving" gloves in July in Phoenix?" ) So, we'll see if my alterations worked or if I need to wait until cooler weather and they do have such things in the stores here!

Actually,when I was making my Zam for Dragon Con 03?, I bought my gardening leather gloves from Walmart. And, if you extend the wrist and include a stitch from the index finger all the way down, I don't see why you can't unstitch the Walmart glove and use that as the pattern.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Erm.. because I haven't stepped inside a WalMart in like 3 years? And I don't garden... and... mostly because I didn't think of that!

I'm half way through my protoype and it seems pretty good so far if I just wouldn't keep getting interrupted!

Yah tell me bout dem interruptions! My child won't let me on the comp much, before he pulls EVERYTHING apart. I am so slow at doing anything, cause I don't want him near any chemicals, dyes, needles, cutters etc. So.. you see, us Mother Zammers have it slower than all ya'lls. These are the places that I could hit before I got shanghai'd by my tot= for certain Zam items: Ace Hardware, Lowes, Walmart, Hancock fabrics, Tandy Leather stores, Jo Anne Fabrics, and Thrift stores. But, yeah, the walmart gardening gloves might be there at this time of year. So check em out before gardening season is gone. I got the white ones, then I used mineral spirits? or something to take off the seal, then spraypainted them with purp and re-sealed em. If you get a 3 oz chapside leather, it might be harder to sew but would probably give you a better look for the gloves, because from FIDM, the gloves looked like a thicker leather than gardening gloves, and less flimsy, more full. I could be wrong, but yah, I would take apart the walmart gloves trace the pattern onto 3 oz white chapside leather (extra length for the wrist), then take the seal off, and either spray dye/paint it before or after you sew it back together with the index finger stitch. Kaydee from the fanforce costuming boards has TRULY nice FIDM Zam pics hosted on her site. You can use them for some references, if you haven't had the chance to get MOM pics.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Jul 18, 2006 at 8:52 PM.

From
    San Antonio, Texas

ZIA, you mentioned that you "sealed" the gloves after you spray painted them. Could you tell me what you used to seal them? :o

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Hmm... I was just going to use some of the lambskin. It looks the same color/texture to me as the cumberbun and vest. At least the hero version does in the pics.

Finished the prototype... a few more tweaks for the final pattern and I'm done with that step! Yeah!!!

resolene sealed. Yeah, i see your point there MM. I was going over somethings, and talking to the Tandy store lady about Darth Vader pants and she said they used chapsides. I am having problems with the "fullness" look. There is something to the heavier leather that adds to the look. I could totally be wrong, I have been before, but besides the shoulder pads of the vest, I was thinking more about the strain of the black hose connectors and IF they used the same material for vests, gloves and cumberbund at a 3 oz chapside, vs. a 1-2 oz lambskin. It's way more expensive for the 3 oz, but the stability of the leather is in question. My cumberbund buckles in a LOT under the weight of my greebs and metal beads, which isn't a whole lot of weight. In part, it could be due to the foam inside, but I really feel the thickness of the leather could also be a cause. Still thinking if I should change out all those white leathered parts to 3 oz chapside.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Can the 3oz be sewn on a home machine? I also did a quick search for white chapsides and didn't find any. I did like the texture though...

Vest: There is definately some extra padding on the shoulders and down the front towards the bustline, heavier towards the arms and lighter towards the middle. The hose connectors need extra reinforcing, something like MonCal did on his vest with the webbing. I was also going to sew a reinforcing seam around the hose connector to the webbing, even if it isn't fully canon - I don't want the thing to rip!

Cumberbun: I'm having to do mine over as well (Color was waaaay off). It definately needs more than just a layer or two of foam in there. I'm thinking I'm going to make mine like a hinge ( > ) and put a layer of stiff leather in there for support, in addition to the interfacing, foam and stuffing, etc.

The whole leather thread,http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/showthread.php?t=3219 the comparison between the lamb skin and the 3 oz leather -- that was 3 oz white chapsides. I believe that ebinger brother's leather was the one that sent me a swatch of white sleeve on pearl 3 oz. leather. Wow, my links are all messed up etc. Sorry yall, haven't had time or money to update my site or pics or be on here to edit my posts or whatever. I still have yet to transfer my site from one isp to another and am losing money by the minute, cause I haven't learned how to edit all my code for pics and sites to switch all the pics over from one space to the next even as just a "placeholder". ARG! I need a transfer fairy. Anycow, if someone wants to get a swatch from them and post up a pic comparison, by all means go ahead.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Jul 19, 2006 at 9:20 PM.