Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zam screen used Gauntlet

Zam screen used Gauntlet

I am proud to say that I am now holding this baby in my hands and I must say it is the best crafted prop I have seen. I am a little biased as any star wars prop is the hold grail of my collection and a dream of mine for a long time now realized. One of the most interesting things to me was the edge closest to the forearm is leather. Let me know what you think.

Chris
    Last edited by bikerfett; Nov 9, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

From
    Irvine, CA

Re: Zam screen used Gauntlet

I'm glad you went through with the acquisition!! It's great to know that this gauntlet is now in the hands of a Zam fan.

Very Cool. Sometimes I wish I could afford things like that.

From
    The Cold Widwest

Wow. Don't take offense to this...but ah, well, I hate you.

From
    Novi, MI

Wow!! So jelous!!

Thank you. I am considering doing a run of these. If I can figure out how to do it with out dissassembling it. Who would be interested so I can gauge if it is worth the time. It would be a limited run.

Chris

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Hmm... Lemme see. One well placed shot ought to do it... Where do you live again? Yes... color me jealous too! Wow!!! Totally awesome... I want one! or two... !

MonCal or Foxbatkllr would be the ones to talk to about how to make mold of this without ruining it.

Oh... and if you ever do tire of dusting the gauntlet... or it doesn't match the decorating theme of your house. Just let me know... I'll take it off your hands for you!

From
    Novi, MI

I would totally be interested!!

Shame there's a typo on the plaque... seriously!

that's funny I didnt notice lol

I helped at SDCC '08 MandalorFett's Avatar
    From
    California USA

Wow, congratulations! That thing looks awesome even up close in mega pixel goodness!

From
    Naples, Florida

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup WHOA! Beauty! I would TOTALLY be interested, but how small is it? I know Ms. Walsman is way over on the petite side, I'd wonder if it would fit. I'm not an Amazon Warrior, but I'm not the size of a key chain like she is, either. (Just kidding, Ms. Walsman, where ever you are!) But if it fit, oh HELL YEAH I'm interested!

From
    Naples, Florida

MaulMaus said: View Post
    Hmm... Lemme see. One well placed shot ought to do it... Where do you live again?
    MaulMaus... I work for a Sheriff's Office... I can help with the cover up...

From
    Naples, Florida

blur said: View Post
    Shame there's a typo on the plaque... seriously!
    Honestly, stuff like that makes me like a thing even more.

From
    Salem, Oregon

Don't take this the wrong way, but I have seen in the past that casting a real LFL prop for re-sale as been known to get people in serious trouble.

Now sculpting a new quantlet with the orignal as a reference, you could fly under the radar easier. Just something to consider.

From
    Irvine, CA

Seven said: View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I have seen in the past that casting a real LFL prop for re-sale as been known to get people in serious trouble.

Now sculpting a new quantlet with the orignal as a reference, you could fly under the radar easier. Just something to consider.

Disagree. Won't be an issue. I've not had any problems with my Zam castings and I know numerous people have cast screen-used stuff without any problems. I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't advertise it on your own website, keep it under the radar as much as possible.

Just out of curiosity with regard to that mode of behaviour... what would stop someone joining the community, logging some posts and making friends with people who cast of screen props, and simply get their details that way? Websites are an easy way for investigators to find people, sure, but there's nothing to stop people being more covert if they really want to bust someone...

From
    Irvine, CA

Hypothetically, nothing. Realistically, LFL doesn't care as long as you're not jumping up and down and waving your hands in the air and have a website with a shopping cart, etc.

It's too much work to monitor everything, especially low-profile items like these. LFL is busy with companies like SDS and in the grand scheme of things a screen-used part from a minor character on a forum is not a big deal to them. Even if they did object, they would send a C&D first which is basically just a warning to stop. We are not even blips on LFL's radar though.

I will try to get some measurements so you know how big the whole is to fit your hand through

Biker

From
    Koblenz Germany

count me in.
    I have a friend that totaly loves Zam and Im working with her on a complete suit for a long time now.

Can I take a guess? It's 5 inches from the wrist to the forearm? I have been trying to sculpt this on and off for years, never accomplishing things due to having the kids.
    And, i am happy that you got it! I had tried awhile back and lost on ebay to someone in california. Was that you? PM sent

No I just made a trade for this from the guy in Cali that had it since then.

From
    Roanoke, TX

Thats a sweet peice. Hopefully for the boards sake you will do a run. It isnt hard to mold something like this. Though from getting the first copy, that is when the real work begins. I can talk you through how to make a master mold of it so that you can send off a copy of it to be worked into molds that would allow useable pieces and also allow you to move forward on this project without having to send your SU piece anywhere.

Let me know if your serious and I will post a walkthrough for ya.

Envy!

I'm definitely in, if you decide to do it.

That's nice! I was bummed I missed it the first time too
    It would be nice to have a screen used piece like this.

I'm happy. It looks like I got my sculpt pretty darned close!!!

As for casting it.... I honestly don't know if I ever want anything to do with making these gauntlets anymore. You don't know what you're getting into. They are a real pain in the rear to make. The first one will be somewhat fun but it goes downhill fast after that. Then again it depends on how "finished" the copy would be.

I don't know if I would risk messing it up. Depending on how you do it it could either mess up the piece and ruin the value and the authenticity of it or it will be a major pain. The leather is one thing that could cause some troubles. It's not like an original TK helmet you can just unscrew and go. It might be easier to sculpt one next to it using it as reference. Then again.... I could probably figure out a way to do it without too much trouble I'd like to see one of mine next to it and see how close I got

Nice job on the acquisition though!!!
    Last edited by MonCal; Oct 15, 2008 at 10:18 PM.