Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Jul 29, 2002, 6:41 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #51

Ragresen wrote:I do have one small question. What did you use for the cord looking tiems that wrap about the barrel and how are they attack and how is the barrel secured?
    (well I'm too impatient to wait til Dragoncon '03 I wanted it NOW! Once I get obsessed by something, I just have to work and work until I have something finished, or else it starts to bother me )

To answer the question, I used rubber O rings. The inner diameter is the same as the outer diameter of the barrel (5/8") so they do not require anything other than friction to keep them in place.

The barrel is screwed to the stock pieces through the bottom, hidden by the ramrod. There is a picture above where you can see the screws I think.

-cris
    Aug 6, 2002, 2:02 AM - <B>Merged:</B> Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #52

Well we are back from Comicon

I got to see the 12" toy, and there is definitely another scope on the reverse side of the rifle. Why couldn't they put THAT picture in the visual dictionary

Anyhoo... we took some fun pics

-cris and kim
    Last edited by kimncris; Apr 16, 2006 at 1:35 PM.
  3. FettsBounty
    Aug 6, 2002, 2:46 AM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #53

Great pics! I love the last one I'm still in awe of the costume, simply fantastic! Anymore pics to share?

-Austin
    Aug 6, 2002, 3:18 AM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #54

5. FettsBounty
    Aug 6, 2002, 3:36 AM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #55

Woo Hoo! Congrats!

-Austin
    Aug 12, 2002, 6:29 PM - <B>Merged:</B> Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #56

I am new to this forum, and I too believe that the Clear parts are in fact gaps. In the Insider Mag, there is a close up of Zam holding her rifle and you can see through the gap as nothing seems to be there. I am not sure which Insider it is, but it is something to check out. Also, I am curious as to what you used as your scope mount. Would you be interested in making any of the items for the group? say the scope or the metal butt stock? Love your Rifle!!
    Last edited by Seven; Jan 14, 2005 at 1:22 AM.
    Aug 12, 2002, 8:16 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #57

Insider 057, Page 47 shows her holding the rifle. Upon a close look, it does look blank. Good thing because I was having a bugger of a time making a clear resin piece that didn't have any bubbles in it. Yea, I can make the scope and finish the gun this weekend, maybe!
    Aug 12, 2002, 8:35 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #58

Good Catch on that insider picture! I was looking at that same picture and I think you all may be right about the gaps. The toy rifle that comes with the 12" doll and the action figure sort of has the gaps too- except that the plastic kind of fills in between the barrel and the cleaning rod.

The good thing is that I can always take my clear resin parts out and not effect the rest of the gun! The are held in place by a tiny bit of glue and the silver rings But they look really cool- so maybe I'll leave them until they break or get really scratched up.

I scratchbuilt my scope mounts out of some PVC pipe and styrene. I used bondo to fill in the middle and make the perfect contour to mount over the barrel. However, since I needed 2, I molded the original and made resin ones for the finished rifle, so sure, if anyone wants them, I can make some more.

I'll try to post a better picture of it later tonight or tomorrow.

I am pretty much out of the casting metal, but if I can get some more, I still have the mold for that too. It would require some serious sanding to get the nice shiny finish though

-cris
    Aug 13, 2002, 4:42 AM - <B>Merged:</B> Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #59

here are those better pics of how my scopemount turned out:

They are white resin painted black. Gotta love molding and casting anytime you need 2 identical parts

-cris
    Last edited by kimncris; Apr 16, 2006 at 1:34 PM.
    Aug 13, 2002, 2:45 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #60

I am interested in the scope mounts and the metal detail at the end of the stock. I don't mind sanding and polishing it myself. Let me know on a price.
    Dec 6, 2002, 6:39 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #61

I just got my rifle today - and was snooping around the forum to see if anyone else had done the mods to it!

Kimncris - THANK YOU so much for the "tutorials" on how you did the rifle modifications! This is such a big help!

And if anyone else has any tips or hints on the rifle - please post them! It looks like a big project and I'll need to keep my sanity through this part so I can finish with the rest of the costume! Wonder if they let you wear costumes in the asylum?
  12. Member Since
    May 2002
    Dec 6, 2002, 7:05 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #62

Well I am still slowly and carefully working on my rifle. I am takeing my time on it as it is important that is lookvery good and accurate.
    Dec 6, 2002, 7:59 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #63

thanks MausMaus, if you want your gun to be more accurate, do not use the clear resin like I did.

One of these days I'll have a stab at machining that lower scope thing too and finish up Kim's! Unfortunately my web design skills are lacking- so that tutorial website I wanted to build may have to wait for the time being

-cris

Dec 7, 2002, 8:18 AM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #64

If anyone needs the Kentucky Flintlock base let me know, I have an extra I am not going to do anything with. It is still in the box. Just PM me.
    Dec 7, 2002, 1:30 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #65

kimncris wrote:

thanks MausMaus, if you want your gun to be more accurate, do not use the clear resin like I did.
    I know it isn't "canon" and I'm not going to do it with my rifle... but I still think it looks pretty cool! I liked the idea of it.

BTW - I saw that you've got that large, life-size image of the rifle that you printed out - for reference work. Where did you get that pic from as I've not seen it anywhere (or am I just blind? )
    Dec 7, 2002, 3:32 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #66

I made it myself I scaled up the visual dictionary photo to match one of the pieces of hardware on the denix rifle. I think they must have used a real gun, because it was not an exact match, but it was really close.

It's really big, over 3 megs! so I can't even email it to you. I might be able to upload it somewhere. Let me try that.

-cris

edit: well as you can see ALL of my photos are now broken. The server must be down. I'll try again later

-cris

Dec 9, 2002, 6:23 PM - <B>Merged:</B> Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #67

Last edited by kimncris; Apr 16, 2006 at 1:33 PM.
    Dec 9, 2002, 8:36 PM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #68

Thanks so much!!!
  19. Dec 12, 2002, 12:45 AM - Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle? #69

Gee, since I'm not gender-equipped for Zam, I never really looked here. Too bad and I'm sorry . Perhaps I could be of future assistance on this topic. I have been shooting black-powder muzzleloaders for years. I build them, not from kits, but mostly from scratch. I am also a certified shooting instructor in all three disciplines of muzzleloader. All this added to the fact that I am heavily into pre-1840 history which is the era of these firearms. Please feel free to PM me with any questions, or I will even check here from time to time. ...here's a bit of advice; if the finish on your lockplate (the flat metal side plate with the large cock on it) is a darkish-blackish color, it may be "blued". In this case, you can try removing it with Naval Jelly or LimeAway. ...I apologize for not even knowing exactly what Zam's piece looks like aside from what I saw in the movie. If anyone has a nice close-up, I may be able to tell the exact piece/pieces used in it's construction. Maybe .
    Mar 28, 2004, 12:39 PM - Zam Rifle #70

Zam I Am wrote:

I LOVED his lazer pointer, that's what us zammers should put into the scope mount of any future rifles
    From the Farpoint Thread: http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...=8389&forum=10

That brings up a good question (for me at least) The scope on the rifle... Has anyone figured out if its a "found" item or custom?

Kmncris did a fantastic tutorial and write up on the Zam rifle: http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...=1157&forum=10. They custom made the scope, but I don't have the talent or &#36;&#36;&#36; to do that myself.

Suggestions on how to make this from easily found parts? How would a lazer pointer be attached... *yep... I'm pretty ignorant on this stuff...*
  21. Member Since
    May 2002
    Mar 28, 2004, 1:00 PM - Re: Zam Rifle #71

I am working on or was working on Zam's rifle, but it has been put aside for other things for now. I will eventually get around to working on it once again. I know the stock is based on a black powder rifle that is close to the kentuckey rifles, but I believe it is not that specific stock. I have a stock that was a unfinished custom stock for a black podwer rifle and when I am done I may make a mold of the stock for selling kits for it. But again it is all a ways off unfortantly as I got so much more Zam stuff to do plus I have an Anime project that is going to eat up close to a year of work.
    Mar 28, 2004, 2:34 PM - Re: Zam Rifle #72

I've got the base already and have been working on it... sanding it down, painting it, etc.

I'm just not sure how I'm going to make the scope.

Another question: Are there two scopes? One on top one on the side?
  23. Member Since
    May 2002
    Mar 28, 2004, 5:36 PM - Re: Zam Rifle #73

One Scope on the top. the thing on the side is called a Power something or another. One the Zam 12 inch doll is liekly the best reference as to what it looks like.
    Sep 29, 2004, 11:42 AM - <B>Merged:</B> Zams Rifle #74

Hello I'm currently working on a Zam Rifle and need very good pics/details and measurements for the scope. I am going to machine the scope and just want to get it as close to the prop as possible.
    Sep 29, 2004, 5:04 PM - Merged: Re: Zams Rifle #75

Start here:

http://tdh.prop-planet.com/viewtopic...=8842&forum=10

I think the links that kimncris posted regarding the "life-size" Zam Rifle image are still valid... if not I still have the image and can email it to you.

Erm.. btw... you wouldn't be interested in making more than one of those scopes...would you? That's the real killer for me on the rifle - finding the scope and associated parts!