Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Zam Rifle

Merged: Merged: Re: Ack! choke! cough! Zam withdrawls! Here's some rifle pics

Hey, I got mine in and it wasn't broken . I can't wait to start the conversion. It will probably take me a little longer since I can't really machine any of the parts. I look forward to seeing the progress of yours and getting some input!

Merged: Merged: Re: Ack! choke! cough! Zam withdrawls! Here's some rifle p

I didn't get mine yet maybe today!!!!! YEAH!

From
    Stuck at Lothlorien and Want to go back to Korriban

Eeeeeeeee! Strawberry Shortcake!!!

Wait a minute . . . I suppose to look at the rifle!

Wow! It's big. But Cris, how much did it weight? I'm really tempted to get it off eBay instead of buying it here if I can get the whole thing with shipping for US$100+/- as it's ~US$150+ here. Think I can work out the legal stuffs with bringing it into Singapore, somehow.

And how much bigger did you or Kim enlarge that full size picture?

Darth_Eagle, my rifle was actually real light. I was kind of suprised. It is just a replica so it is non-firing and could never be made to fire. You might want to contact the seller and see what it would cost to ship overseas. I bet you will be under the $100 range.

Here is a link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2117605635

The rifle itself was not all that heavy but once it has all of that other stuff added on...I'm going to need an assistant to carry it for me!

Cris scaled the picture off of the plate on the side of the gun. I'm 5ft 6in if that gives you an idea of the height.

Kim

<B>Merged:</B> Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle?

I finished my scope.

It came out a little cockeyed- but hopefully when it's on the rifle it won't be noticable. This was a royal pain in the rear but a good learning experience.

I made it hollow so that you can see through it, and the lens rings and lenses are removable

The dark color, I could not figure out. So I painted it gunmetal color.

-cris
    Last edited by kimncris; Apr 16, 2006 at 12:25 PM.

Merged: Re: does anyone know the base for the Zam Rifle?

Now that is nice work. I look forward to seeing the completed Rifle.

From

Wow, Cris! Look great! Can't wait to see the finish product!

So have you and Kim consider helping some of us in the near future to get certain parts? *giving kawaii puppy eyes*

got my replacement rifle today UNHARMED!!!

took a lttle extra time I think due to the 4th- but the TGParrot seller is a stand up guy if you are in the market for a Zam rilfe

-cris

here are some progress shots of the transformation...

here it is out of the box

and with all of the parts disassembled

I added some sculpey clay to the buttplate (in a hurry as I had too much silicone) to start the process of molding the thicker one

made molds of the stock barrel section and buttplate. Only the long thin barrel section of the stock needed to be extended, so I only molded that part. It is inside of the parertowel roll in silicone in the picture below.

cast a resin copy of the molded barrel part of the stock and painted it and the 2 wooden sections black with Plasticote automotive primer. (what I had on hand) Here they are drying.

cast another piece of stock in clear resin from the same mold as the black one above (not so sure about this, but it will be easier than clear acrylic I think) I cannot tell from the pictures available to me if this was correct or not- but it made the final assembly very easy.

bent some new aluminum sheet metal accents for the stock joints. This was just hobby sheet metal from the hardware store. I bent it back and forth in the vice until it snapped off in these 4 pieces and then bent them around the resin cast I made (so that I didn't break the wooden one or anything dumb) to get the shape.

sanded and brushed the black finish off of the lock plates with sandpaper and the wire brush wheel seen in the pics posted a few more replies down, and also used a paint stripping sort of attatchment for my dremel which was totally destryed in the process to get into the crevaces (this was not as easy as I thought)

more to come...

-cris
    Last edited by kimncris; Apr 16, 2006 at 12:26 PM.

If I could find a host I will take a picture of my Stock I am working on. the stock and all the wood extensions on it make it about as tall as I am. I am a nice 5'11" and I plan to extend the length some as well.

Looking great, I am eager to get on mine now! Urgg, Spidey needs more tools.

here are somw more progress shots of the almost finished rifle:

Brushing the brass plating off of the trigger guard:
    (the finish came off just the same as on the black on the lock plates) They make these for the Dremel too- but this 3" one for a full sized drill worked great.

Before:

After:

and this part the holds the ramrod was done the same way...I drilled out the hole larger to accommodate a 10/32 machine screw which goes through the stock and into the aluminum barrel.

small (inaccurate but who cares!)mod to the lock plate:
    I never saw any pics of this side- and removing the Flintlock hammer left a large hole, so I added a panel light and a little pointy greeblie on a spring for fun.

The underside of the barrel: The black sections screw in from the bottom with countersunk 10/32 machine screws. The clear sections just float inbetween the silver rings with a little epoxy for good measure. They will undoubtedly break at some point- due to the fragile resin that I used, but hopefully this will make for an easier repair later.

added a spring behind the trigger for return action since the hammer mechanism was removed: I drilled and tapped a hole for a 4/40 screw to use a post for the spring on the back of the trigger up inside the stock. (not really visible here- but so you know )

taped off and painted sections of the metal stock tip piece:
    Another area where I could not really tell from the pics. I just masked off the brass areas where I wanted the metal to show- and painted the rest black.

finished pics will follow...
    -cris
    Last edited by kimncris; Apr 16, 2006 at 12:30 PM.

and some more...

I fininally finished up the resin buttplate that I poured into the junk mold made from that clayed over part. That first casting was REALLY ugly as you can imagine from that clay picture, but after I sanded and bondo'ed it and sanded some more and painted etc. it looked like this:

I then made a new mold of this piece and poured a metal one!

Fresh cast on the left- sanded and polished on the right. It is a major PAIN IN THE REAR to sand and polish metal this rough, but eventually it will shine up. If you keep on going it will look even better than this one on the right.

my quick and dirty ramrod tip lathed down from a brass screw
    I didn't have any brass stock- so I bought a 99 cent large brass screw and used that. It's not perfect, but anyone looking at that end of the gun too closely is in trouble already

and the finished gun

-cris
    Last edited by kimncris; Apr 16, 2006 at 12:28 PM.

FettsBounty

Wow! Amazing work, Cris. It looks fantastic, as well as the rest of the costume Hope to see some pics from Comic Con!

-Austin

From
    El Paso, TX

now that's just absolutely cool as all get out, that's for sure...

From

It look manificant! I'm even more impressed by both you and Kim's "magic fingers"!

Now I'm itching to get one and start on it too but must have the money to get it in the first place! Must also secure a "Technical" Lab where I can do all the drilling and grinding first too!

I added a little more to the "tutorial" texts above

I also forgot to add thet my barrel is a 4ft section of extruded aluminum 5/8" OD tubing and the ramrod is 1/4" aluminum.

this is the resin I used for the clear parts

-cris

Kim/Cris:

Gun looks excellent. And no buckets in the glamor shot either....

Does that clear resin work real well? Seen it at the local hobby shop but was scared of it. How do you keep air bubbles out of it (besides stirring it very slowly)?

thanks Dan yes I moved the buckets out of the way this time.

the resin works OK, it takes a lot longer to kick, so you can wait for the bubbles to rise for a little bit- but not TOO long or it turns to jelly. Otherwise, stir and pour slowly and in a fairly large stream. Otherwise you will froth it up with lots of tiny bubbles.

The 2 worst things about this resin is that it STINKS ROYALLY and it is very fragile. I was afraid to use it too, but it was the only thing I could get at the last minute. No breakage yet. We shall see how it survives the trip to Comicon. I made them fairly easy to swap out- so maybe if they break I will order something else that is a little stronger.

-cris

OK. I'm planning to do the rifle shortly. I'll try something else and give you the skinny. Probably use something from Smooth-on or Silpak as I am familiar with their products.

Well no offense towards anyone, but I am under the impression that the clear sections that Kimnchris made where actually gaps in the stock that had nothign there just the barrel and the ram rod. That is how I plan to do mine atleast. I got my trigger guard and the side plates today. Gotta clean up the trigger guard and then add all to my stock. I really need to find a host so I can take and post some pictures up

Hey No Offense! This is just my interpretation of a really small picture. I have nothing else to go on- and I thought the clear resin bits looked cool- so I went with it

hopefully the rifle will be at MOM in Austrailia so somebody can get some close ups and stuff (and the upgrades can commence)

On the action figure, it appears to be similar to what you describe. Does anyone know if the 12" figure comes with the rifle? Is there a real-scan somewhere? (BTW it's going to kill me if these show up 2 days before we leave before Comicon- but I knew that the minute I finished it a better photo would surface)

-cris

laughs and realises it was your interputation and that is why I did not want to offend. I think the end goal is for all of us to help each ohter out. I am very impressed with all you have don ewith the rifle so far. IO am going much slower on mine as I can afford to be slow about it since I have decided I will not have anything ready on my zam until Dragoncon 2003. So I got time to learn and improve it all. I do have one small question. What did you use for the cord looking tiems that wrap about the barrel and how are they attack and how is the barrel secured?

I personally like the clear sections and am going to use that idea when I do mine. From what I can see, it looks correct but you are right Chris, it is hard to tell off of just one picture.