Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    Feb 11, 2007, 5:18 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #51

Quote Zam I Am said: View Post
    Yes, they are a tad small, and you can't stuff foam inside, and you will get helmet head.
    Is there anything you can do?
    I was thinking maybe cutting the rear fins out and spacing them differently?
    Plus her ear intercoms can also be cut off and moved outwards.

Has anyone performed this sacrilage, or does everyone just put up with it?
    Thing is Becky seriously can't just put up with at it won't on without a push. Even then it looks odd
    Feb 11, 2007, 9:27 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #52

No one that I know has cut em out.
  3. Member Since
    May 2006
    Feb 11, 2007, 1:14 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #53

How small is small?
    I tend to fit children size hats so I'm wondering if it'll be fine for my size.
    Feb 11, 2007, 1:33 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #54

Small... as in small around your head. Though, I can get mine on, it is tight. I did make some custom padding for it, as even just wearing it for a short time gave me a headache! I can live with "Helmet Head" and even "Helmet Hair" but not being overheated with a headache on top of that!

Strange thing is, even though it is tight around my head, I can still pin up all my hair (and I have a lot of thick hair) underneath the helm!
    Feb 11, 2007, 5:24 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #55

Yah me too, I can tuck my hair in It sometimes gives a headache because of how the sides cave in. If you take a good look, it's not like any other helmet that is round. That's why it is so tight for most. I can't get anything else inside besides my hair. DCB at least "pitched" it with a rubber inside to keep it from hurting worse.
    Feb 11, 2007, 7:18 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #56

Holy mackerel! I have been doing research on the pics like crazy tonight, scrutinizing stuff because of the pics from Kristin http://imageevent.com/benaequee/cost...singagalaxynyc (GAWD I love her and she don't know how much right now.) I THINK there could be 2 versions of the Zam helmet created by Lucas. If you see the NY runway shots of the Zam walking across the stage and the FIDM shots you see it plain as day. There is a second "ring" around the helmet before the leather bill. This line mimics the leather bill "O" but on the metal dome maybe a 1/4" up from the leather bill. And, technically, since our helmet isn't perfectly round like a bicycle hat, you can call it "dented" cause it does concave in on the sides.

OR** Actually, I was taking a second look, it might be the same helmet, but the leather bill could've fallen, because some of the weathering matches on the particular groove that of the leather bill. I know that inspecting the helm on other FIDM pics and looking at how DCB was assembling the helms, (when I visited him long time ago,) we were both concious how the leather stayed on, because there were some MOM pics that looked like the leather could've easily started separating from the helmet. Glueing a piece of leather on the side is problematic. That is why JDwedd made his outta fglass. Edit** again. Ugh, I think they just terrorized her helm, cause from MOM pic #DSC04712 you could see the leather bill falling right off.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Feb 11, 2007 at 8:05 PM.
    Feb 11, 2007, 8:25 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #57

Hmmm...in picture #170, it looks as though the helmet is sitting pretty high on her head. Do you think they padded it for comfort, or does it sit like that on Leanna as well?

My poor little homemade helmet also gives me a headache due to the sides. I guess I should be thankful that I don't have a cone-shaped head I've been threatening to make a new one for forever...maybe before Celebration 5 -
    Feb 11, 2007, 9:45 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #58

It fit Leeanna perfectly, I think that they padded the NY girl cause yeh, it is high up on the head. If I recall, the hose on the back of the helm is supposed to lay up against the back of the head, and with the NY girl's ponytail/or hair it's raised way too high.
    , I have been telling myself, "I'm gonna make a helm" for years too. I want to finish other stuff first. Not to mention get some of my sewing skills up to par.
    Feb 12, 2007, 2:23 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #59

It really really hurts my head Its so tight that if i open my mouth to talk the movement of the muscles in my head makes the helmet wiggle about LOL!!!

DCB you must have a small head hehehe!!!

In true costumer styleeee im going to try and put up with it but im a large in motorcycle helmets so when i say tight i mean "i need a shoe-horn to get it off and a mallet to get it on" tight LOL

I actually thought about trying to cut down the size of my head before we go cutting the helmet LOL
    Feb 13, 2007, 4:14 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #60

That said this is a trully stunning helmet and the level of detail is amazing! loving the ball joint

I'm thinking of taking the ear intercoms off (one os lose anyway), sticking them back on but further out and widening the lid a little that way?

No one else has had this problem?
    Feb 13, 2007, 9:16 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #61

I am so sorry, but I don't think anyone has fooled with it. We tried our best to make sure our heads fit into it first before we bought ours, I think only 7 were made.
    Feb 13, 2007, 9:22 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #62

Quote Zam I Am said: View Post
    I am so sorry, but I don't think anyone has fooled with it. We tried our best to make sure our heads fit into it first before we bought ours, I think only 7 were made.
    Yeah that's cool. It's an absolutely stunning piece of kit and I'm blown away by it's attention to detail. Becky's fault for having a large nogging

I'll fix it for her somehow. Toying with the idea of sculpting a larger 'hat' and then just glueing all the nice detailed stuff back on?.....but I have enough to do as it is
    Feb 13, 2007, 10:45 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #63

But .... but .... buuuuu ....

I dont have a large head! Everyone else has a small head!!!!
    Feb 13, 2007, 10:47 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #64

I think Langsuir666's head swelled when she saw that large box of zam stuff. Hmm, guess you need a shrink.

Ask Hothgirl/Jedinitess if she'll part with her wookie made Zam helmet. I am assuming you bought DCB's helmet from her? Since she is in need of $$ and she sold all her other zam stuff. That might actually fit. It's not as nice as DCB's, but is a "substitute" that may help with your Celebration Europe deadline. But make sure to measure her head and ask for measurements before you purchase

I wouldn't fool with dcb's helmet. Just cause, the leather overlay and stuff, I dunno, you run the risk of destroying something that's really nice, and adjusting width may not solve matters but just make it worse. Re-bending everything and ugh, you can't stretch the leather bill... (ZIA covers her eyes... can't look).
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Feb 13, 2007 at 10:57 AM.
    Feb 13, 2007, 12:06 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #65

*MM covers her eyes too... imagines bits of helmet splintering all over the room!*
    Feb 13, 2007, 12:09 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #66

Relax folks, I won't break it........<please don't break, please don't break>

Anyone have an alternative lid for sale? Fancy a swap?
    Feb 13, 2007, 12:21 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #67

My heads fine it will squash in it! It will be ok! If i pass out it will just be like the death schene in the film! I wonder if i got a skin head would it make a differance?

If it looks ok i can grin and bear it ... possibly. Did it look ok? The truth now man!!!
    Feb 13, 2007, 12:41 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #68

I did sand mine down inside (where it bothered me the most) then added the detachable padded lining - it helped without adding a lot of bulk. It's simply a layer of muslin over some padding that I quilted. I did use extra red silk from the veil on the inside part, so it kinda matches.

I may need to add another layer of padding on the forehead though as there is one spot that really pokes! I made the lining detachable so that I could set the helm down on something without worrying about it getting scratched up! Also, I can wash the lining! (Yes, the silk is washable )
    Feb 13, 2007, 2:08 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #69

Quote Langsuir666 said: View Post
    My heads fine it will squash in it! It will be ok! If i pass out it will just be like the death schene in the film! I wonder if i got a skin head would it make a differance?

If it looks ok i can grin and bear it ... possibly. Did it look ok? The truth now man!!!
    You didn't post a pic of yourself in it, we can't see you!
    Feb 13, 2007, 2:41 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #70

John saw me in it tho and he said it looked fine, i suspect he may have been fibbing tho so i didnt cry that it didnt fit haha! Im asking him for the truth here, with witnesses!!!! LOL

I know this is a silly question but maybe someone could measure their head who has a DCB lid and ill see if im just being a whiney girl!
    Feb 13, 2007, 2:56 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #71

Just post a daggone pic girl! It just barely fits me and I get a headache everytime. Don't worry about our measurements!
    Feb 14, 2007, 2:37 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #72

I would hehe!! But the helmet is at Johns house which is 110 miles away from me, ill post a pic on the week end when i go down to see him
    Feb 14, 2007, 7:03 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #73

Quote sl/tk8456 said: View Post
    Relax folks, I won't break it........<please don't break, please don't break>

Anyone have an alternative lid for sale? Fancy a swap?
    Can you cut it into 4 pieces with a Dremel, spread it out and re-fibreglass it making it bigger? I was thinking you could make a base slightly bigger than the size of her head you could lay the 4 pieces on, then do your fiberglass work, sand and paint.
    Feb 14, 2007, 7:51 AM - Re: Zam Helmet #74

Quote pennywise said: View Post
    Can you cut it into 4 pieces with a Dremel, spread it out and re-fibreglass it making it bigger? I was thinking you could make a base slightly bigger than the size of her head you could lay the 4 pieces on, then do your fiberglass work, sand and paint.
    Yeah I'm thinking of this but it's sacrilege. The way it's made lends itself very well to doing this though. i.e. the lines that run along and across the lid
    Just a shame to cut it up cos it's lovely.

BUT! We'll post some pictures up this weekend and then get your honest opinions on what it looks like. But what it looks like and how it feels maybe 2 different things
    Last edited by sl/tk8456; Feb 14, 2007 at 8:07 AM.
    Feb 14, 2007, 6:11 PM - Re: Zam Helmet #75

Quote sl/tk8456 said: View Post
    Yeah I'm thinking of this but it's sacrilege. The way it's made lends itself very well to doing this though. i.e. the lines that run along and across the lid
    Just a shame to cut it up cos it's lovely.

BUT! We'll post some pictures up this weekend and then get your honest opinions on what it looks like. But what it looks like and how it feels maybe 2 different things
    If it's not comfortable, that's no good. Honestly if you can do a good job of resizing it I hardly would think it's "sacrilege". And from talking to you recently via PM I would think with a little time and patience you could do it quite easy. Nobody wants to wear a uncomfortable costume, you might as well get her some TK armor then.