Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Zam Fabric

Zam Fabric

A friend of ours had this in his personal collection... granted, the focus was a little off, but check it out!

it's foam inside

From
    Nashville, Tn

Re: Zam Fabric

Any info about it?

From
    Spain

And the other part is blue. The Jango costume has a blue jumpsuit, made of neoprene, under his "seen" jumpsuit. So that's interesting.

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Hmm.. I wonder how hot that would be though..

it has to be a little more comfortable than neoprene.

we couldn't really tell what kind of foam it was, other than it was foam and it was dark grey, about 1/8". Definitely not neoprene though.

From
    Irvine, CA

That looks a lot like the ZamIAm fabric, right down to the blue backing...except it looks thicker and foam instead of neoprene

KaanE said: View Post
    And the other part is blue. The Jango costume has a blue jumpsuit, made of neoprene, under his "seen" jumpsuit. So that's interesting.

Huh? Where did you hear this?

From
    Spain

Foxbatkllr said: View Post
    Huh? Where did you hear this?

You can see it on this pic, I have one pic where it is show clearly but I'm not allowed to post/show it, I'm sorry. If you have the pic posted with a better quality you will see it better, I just found it on google.

From
    Irvine, CA

Yeah I see that, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's wearing a full neoprene undersuit, if that piece of blue is even neoprene. Anyway, it's not really important.

From
    Spain

Yeah I see that, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's wearing a full neoprene undersuit, if that piece of blue is even neoprene. Anyway, it's not really important.
    Well, it maybe was just the pants but from what I can see it's neoprene and it has a foam in it. But now I think that it's not the same that the one showed on the first post, in the pic that I have it looks more a brilliant blue and hasn't got one side purple.

Sorry for the hijack of the thread

with as much trouble as everyone has had finding this fabric, I'd say Trisha had it made special for the zam costume. But maybe they used odds and ends for foam padding under Jango's armor?

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Did you get a chance to see how it wrinkled up? Did it wrinkle the same like at the elbows and knees? (Looks like headliner - used in cars - to me). Hmmm..... Very interesting.

no - we only happened to have a few seconds with it as we were on our way out. But we couldn't pass up the chance to touch it and take a couple of pics for you guys! He said he got it from one of Trisha's assistants.

From
    Irvine, CA

I have to say, the color looks pretty close to ZamIAm's fabric. When you first posted the picture I thought it actually was the ZIA fabric.

i wish I had a swatch to compare, but I think Yvonne got the color exactly right

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

I think she did too. Even when comparing ZIA's fabric to the FIDM exhibit... I really think the lighting played havoc on the fabric (Meaning the lighting in the exhibit was WAAAY different from just standing outside the exhibit) and I believe the fabric faded over time as well. I know the leather parts did - just comparing them to how they appeared in stills and the film to how they were at the FIDM exhibit.

It explains all of the wrinkles in some of the promo shots. How odd, I wonder if they used two way or 4 way lycra. KimnCris- you get the I'm not worthy smiley... too bad they don't have the right smileys . You guys just made me cry tears of joy after so many years of hard work and group effort. You guys are truly the "original" zammers. If it wasn't for you at C2, we wouldn't have been inspired to even make our fabric/version. Go TEAM ZAM! Wohoo! Nudge nudge, DCB - you blipped all of the darn siggies! Oh wait, that was already 2 1/2 - 3 years ago!

Nice find Cris, thanks for sharing!!!

From
    Northern California

I was able to get my hands on the swatch of leftover Zam neoprene this weekend and have permission to post photos. I came prepared - I brought a swatch of the Zam I Am neoprene to compare and I also brought my Pantone Guide for Fashion and Home.

Here is the comparison photo:

No Flash:

I would have to say that the Zam-I-Am fabric is quite a bit brighter than the true stuff. The real fabric has a LOT more gray mixed in to the dye. It's a lot drabber. A very gray-purple.

It was interesting, the underside is lined with the same kind of nylon that's on the top side but it was a very dark blue-violet. It almost made me wonder if they were unsure what color to go with and decided to have 2 different colors on either side of the neoprene?

I believe it was an open cell type neoprene, and it was just a fraction thicker than what Zam I Am ordered. It was also a dark grayish/black neoprene foam.

My pantone match was between "Black Plum" (which was a bit too dark) and "Flint" It really depended on how the light was reflecting off the neoprene though as to how dark or light it looked. Sometimes Flint looked right, sometimes not. It always remained in that grayish plum family.

I should have tugged on the fabric a bit more to see if it was 2 way or 4 way stretch. Oh well!
    Last edited by Kay_Dee; Feb 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM.

From
    Irvine, CA

I wonder what kind of effect UV Light might have on the ZamIAm fabric (or what kind of effect it may have had on the real fabric).

From
    Northern California

I wonder what kind of effect UV Light might have on the ZamIAm fabric (or what kind of effect it may have had on the real fabric).
    Sorry, I couldn't take it outside. But it is clear just by holding the two swatches smack dab next to each other they are not a match The Zam I Am fabric is lighter and lacks the warm gray tones.

I know Zam I Am did her best based on a pantone match that was made at an exhibit through glass. There could have been a bright spotlight on that and when bright light shines on things it makes them appear lighter than they are. At least with this I was able to hold the pantone guide right up to the fabric. Nothing in my guide was a 100% match but I think the Flint is what I'd shoot for (maybe a tad lighter) if I could dye my own fabric. Problem is getting it laminated to neoprene

From
    Irvine, CA

Actually I was talking about prolonged exposure, as in fading. Thanks for the comparison pics though.

From
    N. Carolina

Just a quick note.. got my fabric delivered yesterday from the Stretch house so its still available at this time.

KayDee, I am a little confused, is the top left swatch the one you got from that store in Cali, or is it from your pantone book? And, is the "actual" (on the right) the same one that KimnCris had? and, if so, when you say neoprene, do you know if it was just thicker foam? I got the feeling from looking at the KnC shot that it was almost like headliner foam (like from a car) And, with your shot, there is no foam shot, so I didn't know if it was the same swatch. I inquire about this, only cause headliner foam - less dense, more thick, has a tendency to crease, and in some special shots that Zam is in, there are creases. If the neoprene relaxes which it does more easily than headliner, you usually don't have the creasing, Especially if it's hung on a mannequin. Just some tidbits on how density of foam and type of foam and thickness of foam's reaction on what you see in pictures. I know in dressing a galaxy they said "neoprene." But technically, there are tons of different types. Partial dissertation on neoprene here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoprene
    Yep, ZIA neoprene is open cell. I figured they (Trisha Biggar) would've use something thicker for short time length movie shots and (and budget). But for practical at home sewing purposes and costuming (in all climates )purposes, I had the neoprene co. thin it down as much as possible on the off chance that people could sew it at home. Even though, technically, it would be better to sew it with an industrial. I didn't want people passing out, thus open cell. If it was closed cell, people would suffocate like vinyl does.

Flash and angle sure does make a difference.

Kaydee pic with flash
    KnC pic with flash
    Kaydee pic no flash

Stretchhouse pic comparison (no flash) from another thread.

Take into consider movie filters screen shots, photoshopped promo pics, vd pics, etc.

Look at Kaydee's pic next to knc's how hard is that to discern?! ! ZIA fabric (her 1st and 2nd pic flash and no flash- bottom left swatch) looks closer to Knc's shot imo. What do you think? The sheen is the biggest problem. Short of taking the swatch from the actual source swatch to a professional dying company to match the pantone, we're never gonna get it 100%. That's what I had hoped long time ago to get when the huge "dressing a galaxy" when all the swatches came out. Mine book didn't come with a zam swatch unfortunatly. Boy, was I scouring.
    Visual dictionary or Dressing a galaxy called it dark lilac I think. But Kaydee's top left swatch is pretty darn close without the flash, but Kaydee's pic with the flash top left swatch, almost looks too pink imho.

I just wanted to play devil's advocate, and also help people reconcile the feelings of the need for accuracy and what people will ultimately wear. Accuracy of color according to which photo, screen shot, lighting etc. is what we can all plainly state, that it matches one or some of the xyz shots. Obviously, unless we had the real swatch to take to the manufacturer, we can't be 100% and there are "closer colors." I am glad that the ZIA fabric is one of the "closer" ones and the fabric is has a sheen to enable lighting variances I do also see the need for a drabbier gray.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Feb 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM.

From
    Northern California

Top left swatch - lycra from a California store. It was too reddish/pinkish. I just brought it in case.

The actual on the right is the same one Kim and Cris looked at. It was from Steve Sansweet's collection. Kim and Cris just didn't have your fabric in hand for comparison and by 'memory' thought yours seemed right from what I understand. I tried to take a 'foam' shot and all came out blurry. The color of the foam was dark charcoal/blackish. It was light weight so seemed to be open cell. I can't say if it was like headliner board foam. I have lots of that but just can't tell you for certain if that is what it was. I just have a memory that it seemed more like a neoprene, not headliner foam... but I didn't analyze it that hard. I'd think headliner foam wouldn't make a very nice suit and trisha's team would know to use something better

Your neoprene thickness is just about dead on. Yours was only a very minute fraction narrower. Yours was thinner by literally the thickness of a hair (or a piece of fabric), I swear! So you made the right call on the thickness you chose for sure!

My blurry side by side 'foam' shot. Sorry, my camera didn't want to focus. I tried twice and gave up.

Your fabric is still the closest we have. Regardless of how the color looks in kimncris' shot and photos in a book, my picture showing yours right next to the real thing shows the variance. Yes, I think your fabric has a bit more sheen. But even w/o flash and with the naked eye I have to say for the sake of research (not to bash your fabric at all!) the real fabric is darker and grayer in color. A dash more red undertone to it too (which is probably why my top swatch looks OK in no flash shots, but no flash shots are not a good clear representation of color due to.... lack of light!)

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Yep... I still say we did good! (Meaning mostly ZIA ) That color is just so HARD to get - it really does depend on the lighting and the angle you're looking at it from! Adding film/digital camera colors on top of monitor colors to the mix - well, we're lucky we're even talking the same language here!

And honestly, I think the the bodysuit we saw at FIDM had faded (especially after reading about what happened to MonCal!) - so I think the color we were comparing it to then was different than the original color.

I really think when making this costume, you need to pick a color that is similar and that looks good to you and simply base the rest of the colors of the costume off of that. This costume isn't for sissies!