Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Nov 9, 2002, 8:38 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #26

I would recommend that you avoid the dye sublimation if at all possible. Dyde the material first and then adhere to the neoprene if that is the way to go...
    Nov 9, 2002, 11:00 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #27

splain! splain! so why is dye heat sublimation a not-so-good process? I need to learn... I know nothing about textiles...
  3. Member Since
    May 2002
    Nov 10, 2002, 7:54 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #28

Reason it is not good is because the dye willget into the rubber part and then will milk throught to stain your skinor other things.
    Nov 10, 2002, 9:36 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #29

Well, now we know more about these two neoprene companies. I think I have to search out other neoprene companies. If I can't find one with my specifications, then, we might have to go with option #3. Opt#1=dye sublimation only to get the right color. Opt#2 They will only give us a cut of 1.5mm neoprene with .5mm lycra, and .5mm nylon backing=2.5 mm which is way too thick to sew at the edges(to fold under) You can just tell by dcb's comparision shots on the "bodysuit revelation" thread. You can see that it's thick but not 2.5+2.5mm thick folded under. Option #3 Could be it. Or, I will have to contact other neoprene companies. Those who previously pm'ed me thier addresses will be recieving swatches in the mail, I will mail them out on Tues.
    Nov 11, 2002, 8:06 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #30

i got ZIA's swatches today...

SH-2 is SO close to the real thing. If that was just a shade or 2 more plum purple - i think we'd have a match. The pix i have from MOM are really hard to tell the color on because of the way the light bounces off the fabric. But it's DEFINITELY that metallic-like finish to it. All the other fabrics are WAY off.

Perhaps you can get a few samples of shades close to SH-2 with the same metallic sheen... we are SO close
  6. Member Since
    Mar 2002
    Nov 11, 2002, 9:08 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #31

Ragrasen is correct on dye sub. Part of the problem is the bleed through. An additional problem is that it is applied with heat. The way that fabric is sublimated to neoprene is by heating up the adhesive so that it bonds 100% to both surfaces (neoprene and fabric). When you go back and reheat it to do other forms of sublimation, you create defects in the bond which will later appear as bubbles or tears. I got this from Glomex when I was screwing with this the first time. That is why I tried screen printing which uses a very low temp. Unfortunately, this is only a 2D topcoat that chips away after wear. If you have inded found a close match on fabric, then you are almost there.

Dan
    Nov 11, 2002, 9:58 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #32

dcb, what do you think of option#3 and it's sheen? Drop some purple and red dye on it or sumthin. I was told that the metallic-like sheen is actually due to the weaving of the fibers. I know option#3 isn't not lycra and neoprene, but it's thick enough material.
    btw, option#1 was glomex. So option #1 is out.

wookie- Man, I didn't realize you got that far with glomax. I thought the rep. paula wasn't much help. well, actually, now I can see why, but... I thought she wasn't much help from the get go. But, did she actually gave you neoprene swatches and explain the dye sublimation?
  8. Member Since
    May 2002
    Nov 11, 2002, 10:51 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #33

Oh my this is starting to become a very difficult project is it not. And all those Jango's and Boba's thought they had hard Projects. I think Zam is turning out to be just as hard if not even more complex.

Nov 11, 2002, 11:14 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #34

Wrangling neoprene companies is tough. They are sooooo specific on what they need to adhere the fabric. So many guidelines and rules! I've learned a lot, but man- I didn't think starting this suit, I would be doing this. I first thought it would be easy as pie, like putting together my greedo suit. I saw KimnCris's zam from afar at cII and thought, Oh, maybe their already in production.. Boy, was I wrong! Then, I think if I am not mistaken, Don Post was bought out by another company. That was probably a bad merger. That puts a zam out fit WAY WAY out of production, my guess. I mean with Jango, you can at least replicate some of Boba's parts and just tweak it a little. Zam is a whole other story.
    Nov 11, 2002, 1:02 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #35

*fights bout of major depression....*

Yes... this is turning into a major production. But the costume is just so cool! *sighs*
    Nov 13, 2002, 8:56 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #36

Ok-- Trying to think calmly here. I am really, really close. The only thing that is stopping me right now is that some of the major neoprene companies won't deal with retail sales other than company#2. And their neoprene stock is too thick. So, if/when (I am working on this one) I get a federal id# I can use, then it will open me up to these other neoprene companies. I mean, we have the pantone color, we have the lycra company, and the dyeing company. We have the thickness we want the neoprene to be...It's just a matter of getting the right supplier who can join that type of lycra to the thin neoprene. By the way, two of you will be getting the swatches a little later than I had planned...sorry, ran out of stamps. But you will get 'em so you can see what I am talking about when I say option/co.#1,2,3 etc.
  12. Member Since
    May 2002
    Nov 13, 2002, 9:00 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #37

It is settled now. With all the work that is going into this Zam I can not just leave it on a manniquin. So come one come all to Dragon Con 2003. Thjere is a good chace I will do an hour or so in the Zam there if it is finished by then.
    Nov 13, 2002, 9:30 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #38

i hear ya ragresen. The girls complain that all the good SW costumes are for boys... but they have the advantage of being able to get away w/ wearing the boy costumes w/o anyone thinking twice... and they get all the cool girl costumes too (zam, boushh, aurra, padmé, etc.)

but a boy wearing a SW girl costume would not be good

We could make up a "boy version" of a clawdite... but that may be bordering on the line of über-geek.
  14. Member Since
    May 2002
    Nov 13, 2002, 9:36 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #39

Well if I do the guy in Zam my face will get covered by, yes you guessed it a Clawdite Mask. I am still haveing doubt about doing it because well I just am not into the guy doing female characters. I am doing the costume because I liek the character and will definatly have it on a manniquine (spelling?) for display. And I am regretting to have to actually alter Paul's pieces to make them right. But I am going for the over detailed version.
    Nov 13, 2002, 9:37 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #40

you know, instead of square pieces you guys could have like leather coat tails! a zam tux!
  16. Member Since
    May 2002
    Nov 13, 2002, 9:47 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #41

Thing is I think Zam's Custume or Armor was unique to her. We really have no clue what the rest of the Clawdite race dresses in if at all. They are a race that developed shapeshifting as a form od defense against other Races. So for all we know they never wear a thing.
    Nov 13, 2002, 9:59 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #42

well maybe with that clawdite book coming out.. we'll see some males.
    Nov 13, 2002, 12:19 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #43

Wookie, Paula from Glomax remembered you! hehe. I had to tell my rep that it- dyesublimation isn't gonna work. She and I were upset together But the hunt will go on! Company #2 is taking her time getting back to me, cause I'm small potatoes. She is telling me that at it's smallest total thickness could be 2mm. Which equals 4mm when it's turned over to be sewn. That's still really thick at the edges. We'd look funny with huge bulging seams. Until I find another neoprene company, I really think that option #3 jumbo spandex is the best, and most inexpensive. We would have the color we want and a thickness that would be nice to sew. It's probably the clost to the right sheen too.
    **NEW OPTION** (I am still calling other neoprene companies) But! Suggested by another member here,instead of double lamination, we could go single lamination. That would thin out the plum material by .5mm So that it doesn't get too bulky when sewing. And, since we have to wear a leotard anyway, so that there is black underneath the top halter piece, we could also wear regular thin black stretch pants underneath the neoprene pants so that we wouldn't have to smell like rubber.
    Nov 17, 2002, 4:34 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #44

Got my samples yeterday! Thanks so much Zam I Am for all your work on this!

First Option #1 - I agree is "perfect" except that it won't work! The thickness and feel of it seem perfect to me - with a better fabric laminated to it of course.

Option #2 (RL-1) would probably be okay as well, again with the right fabric laminated to it.

Option #3 - I dunno... I would say if we can't get anything else to work out, then we use that - but I'd prefer to keep trying with the neoprene if we can.

A question regarding the color - Pantone 5135 - is that matched from pictures or from your visit to MOM? The reason I ask is that it seems more purple than the color I was thinking of, based on photos. My choice was more subdued... closer to Pantone 5215. Color choice SH-2 was pretty darn close to the color, maybe a bit less intense.
    Nov 19, 2002, 9:52 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #45

Talked to my seamstress Sunday. After looking at the photos and comparing fibers and thickness, she seems to think option #3 is actually better. She says that 1.5mm is good but still a little on the thick side. If you bend the 1.5mm under and compare it to dcb's armpit area "jumpsuit revelation" thread, you will see how the neoprene almost seems too thick at 1.5mm. The Option#3 actually seems "thick enough" but not too thick. Option #3 is also the most affordable. And, we don't have to worry about laminants ruining the dye of the suit. Dcb picked the pantone when he was at MOM with his pantone book and my walmart paint swatches. Remember, even though you can plug in pantone colors into photoshop, your monitor displays are different. If you have a pantone book then-awesome. Sheen and fabric weaving also plays a factor. He gave me a printout match of the color 5135 and compared it with his actual pantone book color to avoid monitor calibration problems. Hopefully everyone gets thier swatches soon and lets me know what they think. Drop some purple dye onto Option#3 and tell me what you think about sheen. Also, fabrics work differently than regular flat colored paper paint swatches. Color lighting at MOM, etc. is also a factor. But 5135 is the closest we've got. SORRY, I WILL NOT FLY TO MOM and BREAK THE PLEXIGLASS... BTW- it definately is nylon-lycra fabric that is on the actual MOM suit, and what we should/will be using.
  21. Member Since
    May 2002
    Nov 19, 2002, 1:18 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #46

I still have not recieved my swatches, but The more I look at things and the more I check things for myself I am convienced that Zam I am is on the right path. Option #3 seems the way to go.
    Nov 19, 2002, 11:16 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #47

Received my swatches today. Thanks zam i am!

After comparing to pics and re-reading this thread again, I think I'm going to agree with MaulMaus.

MaulMaus wrote:

First Option #1 - I agree is "perfect" except that it won't work! The thickness and feel of it seem perfect to me - with a better fabric laminated to it of course.

Option #2 (RL-1) would probably be okay as well, again with the right fabric laminated to it.

Option #3 - I dunno... I would say if we can't get anything else to work out, then we use that - but I'd prefer to keep trying with the neoprene if we can.
    Cal
    Nov 19, 2002, 11:19 PM - Re: Zam Body Suit #48

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.a...lbum_id=112954
    Sorry they aren't hi rez picks. But, here are the picks of the swatches. Sh-2 is second swatch in from the left on the first picture. Please comment, should I keep on looking for Neoprene companies? Remember, neoprene companies cannot get thinner than 1.5mm. Or, should I stick with Option #3. Thick lycra.
    Nov 20, 2002, 9:50 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #49

I haven't recieved my swatches, but if I'm understanding this thread correctly, I'm leaning more towards Option #3.

Nov 21, 2002, 9:48 AM - Re: Zam Body Suit #50

I am on a Lord of the rings kick-- So now we have the fellowship of the body-suits..heheh So far the decision has been equally divided between Option 3, and me looking for more neoprene companies. Remember, I haven't gotten a federal id number yet, so it could take several months for me to get another neoprene company to agree to this. AND, I will not be able to talk to overseas companies. The prices would be astronomical, and they wouldn't want to invest/spend the $$ for me to just to do a test lamination. Option 2 is doable, but a bit too thick on the neoprene side. 2mm folded over is really bunchy. Plus us wearing a leotard under that stuff would heat exhaust us. So, if the fellowship stays together, we could wait to if I come up with any other neoprene companies. Or, we could all decide to just go with the jumbo spandex. But if the fellowship breaks then everyone will be on their own. Cause, it's just not cost effective. Paying over $200.00 per person, just for fabric is ridiculous.