Hi there folks! Yet another Zam admirer here starting on a non-screen accurate version of her Purplieness.
Here's a little rundown of where I am at. If you have any ideas to help, I'm all ears!!!
1. I went to local craft stores and happened to stumble upon packages of left-over leather scraps from Tandy of various colors. Each package was 1/2 lb and consisted of different shapes and sizes. Cost: $4.99 per bag
2. Because dying is a tad bit out of my expertise, I purchased soft fabric paint. I also picked up a bag of dry, rather hard bristle brushes. Cost11.00 for paint and brushes
3. I also picked up some Suede cloth in a nice purple color that seems to be fairly close to the right color. Cost: $1.49
4. After reading ZIA's, DCB, and MonCal's descriptions of the skirt dimensions, I began cutting the leather. I have 4 rows done. After cutting, I painted them with the dry-bristles, making sure not to saturate the bristles or the fabric, so it looks distressed. Unfortunately, as of now, the color is still not 100% right. There is too much separated paint-look, not enough solidity.
5. I have contacted JDFett about his greeblies.
6. I was in contact with a Zentai company that does customs, however, they can't put seams in the front, and can't mimic the color. I might be purchasing the neoprene, however I'm not sure if my sewing machine can handle it.
7. Thanks to previous SCA'ing days, I am quite good friends with a armorer, who will be assisting in some pieces for me.
So, thats where I'm at right now...Trying my darnedest to keep it in budget and still look semi-alright. Any suggestions or aid would be SERIOUSLY appreciated.