Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2007
    Jun 13, 2008, 4:03 PM - Where to get Neoprene? #1

Hi there,

so I'm slowly starting to look into becoming Zam... and I can't find anywhere to get Neoprene in my neck of the woods.

Anyone know of anywhere in Europe that sells/stocks/ships it?

thanks!
    Jun 13, 2008, 7:41 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #2

Well... many of the Zam's here have ordered the lavender spandex/neoprene from TheStretchhouse.com and been real happy with it. I don't know their policies about shipping to Europe though. They might know of other retailers in Europe...

Worth a shot anyway. Good luck!
  3. Jun 16, 2008, 4:32 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #3

RE: StretchHouse...Their web site does mention that they do ship to other countries 'express' (whatever that might entail). They do ship pretty quick though; I got my order less than a week after ordering, so it might be worth looking into. Good luck!
  4. I helped at SDCC '08 GCNgamer128's Avatar
    Jun 17, 2008, 11:53 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #4

If you order from there and can't get it shipped overseas, you could have it shipped to another member here on TDH who could bounce it over to you. I've done that for several members here on the forum.
    Jun 18, 2008, 7:57 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #5

yes the stretchhouse material is a very close second to the real thing. color wise its real nice and its much thinner and more comfortable to wear than the thicker neo..easy as pie to sew up as well...no need to spend huge cash on a seamstress.
  6. Jul 25, 2008, 7:15 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #6

The Stretchhouse fabric....what is the color and item ID? The specific name of the product.

Is this it?
    Last edited by Ladyghost4459; Jul 25, 2008 at 7:18 PM. Reason: more information added
    Jul 26, 2008, 3:11 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #7

I'm 99.9% sure it's No. 4. The other "purple's" look way too blue to me. When I saw Jamie's costume, the color she had looked spot on to me... The only difference I could see between it and the real thing was the sheen.
    Jul 28, 2008, 4:03 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #8

I can look up that number for the stretchhouse fabric if you need it. Word to the wary, the very nice person on the phone for Stretchhouse told me that he won't be getting that fabric much longer.

Deunan "Shiruba"
    Jul 29, 2008, 12:15 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #9

Oh great.... What is it about Zam and her neoprene? *Need head slamming into wall "smilie".*
    Jul 29, 2008, 2:10 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #10

Yep, it's #4. We went with the that same fabric too and it's the closest substitute we could find as well.
  11. Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Sep 21, 2008, 10:16 AM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #11

Hi Schwartz,

My name is Jescica. I'm starting my Zam costume and am looking for the neoprene for the suit. I was hoping you wouldn't mind answering a couple of questions for me. I saw at the stretchouse that there is a spandex called Milliskin. Is that the type of spandex you used? The #4 looks very close to what is in this thread. Also, I'm haveing a hard time finding parts (shin guards, helmat, chest plate, greeblies, and toe guard) and the aluminum blaster. It's pretty much anything that has to be casted. I was wondering where you found youe parts. The info would be greatly appreciated and helpful. I hope to hear from you.

Thanks,
    Jescica
    Sep 21, 2008, 3:05 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #12

It's the fabric called neoprene and listed under that link ( http://www.stretchhouse.com/neoprene.htm ) Color #4. They may have that same color under various other fabrics such as spandex, but it won't have the thickness of the neoprene. Spandex will look like a bathing-suit or super-hero suit.
    Sep 21, 2008, 7:32 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #13

Quote MaulMaus said: View Post
    It's the fabric called neoprene and listed under that link ( http://www.stretchhouse.com/neoprene.htm ) Color #4. They may have that same color under various other fabrics such as spandex, but it won't have the thickness of the neoprene. Spandex will look like a bathing-suit or super-hero suit.

What MM said, plus PM responded to that contains all the info you'll need on the other stuff.
  14. Member Since
    May 2008
    Nov 11, 2008, 11:27 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #14

anyone know just how much of this i would need? i am 5'2" and i weigh 114 lbs
    Nov 12, 2008, 12:21 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #15

It depends on how much your pattern calls for.... Most have needed somewhere between 4 and 5 yards. (there is always some extra). Figure out your pattern then your yardage.
  16. formerly Shiruba SeattleZam's Avatar
    Nov 14, 2008, 4:12 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #16

If you're 5'2" and the original actress was 5'7", you may need to do some size rescaling on the parts, armor, and greeblies - make sure you warn whoever is casting those for you. When I have to rescale things to fit, I make a cardboard cut out of the part, tape it in place, and take pictures until it looks like the original costume.

Deunan Shiruba
    Apr 1, 2009, 7:37 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #17

Speaking of patterns, is there a specific pattern people suggest or is it basically, try and make one?

<-- Newb!
    Apr 3, 2009, 12:57 AM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #18

There is no "one" pattern for this... Do a search on this section for some of the recommended patterns (there are several). The top is a modified t-shirt but the pants are more difficult.
    Apr 4, 2009, 10:18 AM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #19

Gotcha, thank you!
    May 6, 2010, 1:07 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #20

While on this subject... Does anyone know of anyone who will do the seamstress work on the material?

I'm a really bad hand at sewing!
    May 6, 2010, 3:18 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #21

If you don't want to tackle this yourself (don't be afraid that your sewing machine can't handle the fabric... because it can with the right needles and foot) - You'll need to find someone locally to do the work... a costume maker or good seamstress should be able to do it. Perhaps someone in your local 501st garrison can recommend someone. If not, try a theater company for recommendations... the yellow pages can give you a start.

And before you even ask - No, I have no idea how much it will cost Some might charge per hour, some per piece, I don't have a clue...
  22. Member Since
    Oct 2009
    May 7, 2010, 8:44 AM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #22

I'm having mine made by a local seamstress for $100. I didn't give her a pattern or anything--just walked in with the fabric and some pictures. We talked about how I wanted it to fit, and she said she'd give it a go.
    May 7, 2010, 12:35 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #23

Wow, really? I'm in Portland too! I'd be interested in looking her up! Are you having it made as a two piece? Great costume by the way!
  24. Member Since
    Oct 2009
    May 7, 2010, 1:47 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #24

Yep, two pieces. Her shop is called the Mad Hatter. It's in Cedar Mill. I don't have the contact info handy, but I'm sure a Google search will turn up her phone number and address.
    May 7, 2010, 2:42 PM - Re: Where to get Neoprene? #25

Cool! There you go! Sounds like a good deal to me... I'd be interested in seeing photos of the finished pieces too (I realize the patterns would be proprietary).