Subscribe
    Jul 14, 2014, 10:04 PM - Prada alternatives- think these work? #1

Hey all!
    I'm really not in the budget range for Prada, but I did manage to find these.

screen-shot-2014-07-14-9-52-41-pm-png
    screen-shot-2014-07-14-9-52-47-pm-png

Compare to the originals...

screen-shot-2014-07-14-9-56-32-pm-png

I actually like them more than the Pradas! A little more 'lets go curb stomp some people' than a designer cut has. They have the right sole and ankle style. What do you guys think?
  2. Become a member for 90 days and create 50 posts and you won't see these ads.Register now!
    Jul 14, 2014, 10:26 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #2

I think the only thing is the bottoms aren't criss crossed

screen-shot-2014-07-14-10-24-59-pm-png

screen-shot-2014-07-14-10-25-13-pm-png

hm...
    Jul 14, 2014, 11:55 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #3

I think they look OK. But to be sure, contact your GMO what he says. He is the one to approve your costume.

What I don't get: When we were looking for the boots they went really cheap on ebay. Like 30-50$. You'll have to have patience to find a regular auction in your size. But as the costume in general takes long time to build, why not?
    Jul 15, 2014, 6:03 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #4

Yeah, how did they go up in price so much!? Now I find them for $180, minimum. Much more common to find them around $250. It's crazy.
    Jul 16, 2014, 12:01 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #5

Are these "Buy now" offers or regular auctions?

And what is your search term?
    Jul 16, 2014, 3:19 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #6

Buy now. I looked up "Chelsea Boot" and it was listed as "Bass Leather Chelsea Gore Ankle Boot"
    They were about $25, so if I can make them work that's a steal!

Shoes are surprisingly malleable. I know from a high heel obsession I'm thinking I'll fill in those chunky soles with something durable, then cut the proper indent style in myself. Shouldn't look bad if I'm careful.
    Jul 16, 2014, 5:23 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #7

I was asking for the Prada boots. Because those Buy now auctions for over 200$ existed then too.
    We searched for used ones and auctions.

The only search term was Prada boots/ankleboots/bootee

All we needed then was patience...and some luck
    Jul 17, 2014, 1:22 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #8

Oh, duh. Sorry
    I've been perusing the used section since April. Maybe more patience, you're right. Until one appears I'll see what I can do with these guys.
    Anything else you can suggest? The soles...paint of course...make sure the ankle/toe guards will fit properly...

Jul 17, 2014, 2:10 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #9

We havn't started our boots yet, so I can't give you any tipps on that.

But there are lots of threads in the forum.
    Aug 1, 2014, 9:38 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #10

I've found boots on ebay but all sizes are too big! Anyone found any alternatives in smaller sizes?
    Aug 3, 2014, 6:12 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #11

These original Prada boots cost £400 when new, so what does that make in US dollars?

You can find them occasionally on ebay. I got two pairs, of which the first pair I kept myself and second went with the costume. I think I paid £50 for both, not bad price and that was about seven years ago as they were the first part I got ready for the costume. Been keeping eye on them here and then since, if I could find another pair, but with no luck.

Those boots you got there, look great and also you don't need to paint them. Fingers crossed you can get them cleared.
    Aug 4, 2014, 8:53 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #12

I'm looking into getting them made for my small shoe size.

Friend of mine asked why you couldn't just hash out the pattern on a workboot. Anyone tried this?
  14. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Aug 5, 2014, 1:52 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #13

Hi there,

I think that you must be patient and buy Prada boots, sometimes put on auction Prada shoes used, I bought mine on ebay.

The sole of the boot in the first picture is different from the sole of the boot Zam and the front of the original boot has a square shape.

Good luck.
    Aug 10, 2014, 5:51 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #14

Quote Nomisha said: View Post
    I've found boots on ebay but all sizes are too big! Anyone found any alternatives in smaller sizes?
    Yup! I'll message it to you.
    Oct 20, 2014, 12:55 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #15

When I got my boots --- way back when, they cost me something like $250 US. I bought them off of eBay. It about killed me to cut them up and start working on them. Sold them off when I parted out my costume last year.

You just need to be patient with eBay when looking for the right boots. I would look for something close (and cheap) for the short-term. But keep my eyes open for the right boots and be willing to pay for the the long term.
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2015
    Jun 1, 2015, 5:43 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #16

Has anyone looked at something like a paddock boot? Browsing State Line Tack and Ariat and they have some boots that look miiight work but I am just starting in my research so I just don't know enough.
    Jun 1, 2015, 8:50 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #17

I got mine for $50 USD from an Ebay seller.

I'd almost think that when the CRL is finally approved, they might give options for a different make of shoe with a similar tread a viable choice. Especially since this shoe seems to have such a specialty type tread, which isn't exactly a classic style you'd see on any old shoe. Can you imagine trying to make this costume 30 years from now if Prada went belly up and no more of these things?
    Jun 2, 2015, 2:17 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #18

They're kind of challenging to find, but you can get lucky. I suggest continuously checking eBay while you put together all the other parts.
  20. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Jun 3, 2015, 11:55 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #19

I bought a different boots, and I have to work on the sole to change it. I think CRL should say something like "Prada style", just like stormtroopers with the chelsea boots. The model is not in shops, and Zammers depending on ebay is not a good future
    Jun 10, 2015, 1:12 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #20

I just found 3 pairs of reasonably priced, normal sized accurate Prada boots on ebay after literally 5 minutes of looking. There is absolutely no need to short change the costume by getting inaccurate soled boots.

This is NOT a budget costume if you're looking for something 501st approved. If you just want to cosplay at your local convention and be a bright purple bounty hunter, nobody will stop you. But since it still seems very easy to find the right boots, I see no need to lower the standards.
    Jun 10, 2015, 1:59 PM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #21

I don't think any of us are meaning to belittle any previous work done by you that have 501st approved costumes. There was no intentional jab. For myself, I've spent quite a bit and I know it'll be more as I can't make certain parts. But for those who are currently working on this diligently (even if it's slowly coming along), we're bouncing ideas around in hopes of finding things that maybe haven't been thought of before. And as much as I've scoured over the threads here and at TBG, sometimes useful things are out now that maybe weren't available 10 years ago. Discussions help us out. I'm learning alot that I never thought I'd be doing (leather sewing), just as the newer zam buidlers are doing too.

I guess those who've been there and done that might get a little frustrated (or not) by the thoughts put out there, but if we don't at least get ideas and opinions from others, we don't really get far.
    Jun 11, 2015, 12:24 AM - Re: Prada alternatives- think these work? #22

Youre thoughts and opinions in any honor, but getting the real deal is always better then getting alternatives. And if the real deal is still available, why not get it. It might not be available in your size immediately, but it will be for sure.

There are so many parts of the costume that might require your thoughts and opinions, but not the boots!

And if you don't know how the boots look like. This is what you ar elooking for:
    USED PRADA 3301 EU 37.5 Double Gore Oiled Leather Vibram Pull-On Ankle Boots 6M | eBay