Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

our zam version 2.0

our zam version 2.0

We barely got the zam done for CIV. Kathy had to do a little work to it in L.A. as a matter of fact and the stupid hoses were still sticky

It was worth it though. She won 1st place in her category of the costume contest which was definitely one of the hi-lights of the trip

Notice Kay-dee up there too She won 1st place in her category too.

After making this costume for the 2nd time I've really learned a thing or two about lighting and how it affects colors. Kay-dee I bet you notice it with your purple gown. Kathy looked like a blueberry or something from willy wonka around most of the convention center. The stage for the costume contest was fortunately the only place she looked good.

I might compile some pictures using different lighting to show what I mean. I've also come to the conclusion that it will be completely impossible to match the original costume unless it's on display in natural lighting somewhere and we can take pictures that are true.
    Last edited by MonCal; Jun 18, 2007 at 3:51 PM.

From
    Novi, MI

Re: our zam version 2.0

I am really loving your Zam. It came out perfect!!

From
    High Peak, England

Nice work indeed - that's a stunning costume!

From
    The Cold Widwest

Dang, it seriously did come out looking spot on!:thumbup

Awesome second run! How did you get your hoses to stay nice n round? I am having that problem still. I am also going at a snails pace for Zam 2.0, and probably won't have it done by this Dragon con, within this life time is considered an achievement, cause of my little kiddo. I should change my name to ZamSnail. But yeah, lots nicer. Those pics don't make her costume look blueberry at all.

From
    Irvine, CA

It looked absolutely great in person at CIV. It was so great I had to go up to Kathy and ask who she was.

Thanks gang! I appreciate the kudos. Man... this costume is a lot of work though

Yvonne, to be honest I'm not happy with that hose anymore. I need to find the right stuff... or at least something that is more flexible. I have heated our hoses with a heat gun and was able to get them to hold the perfect shape but they keep retaining memory and going back.... pain in the rear....... oh did y'all know there is supposed to be a lace going through the grommet in the front of the cummerbund that ties to the back of the ovary bits to keep them close to your body? Yup... it should be there. We barely discovered that in a a couple promo shots

From
    Marana, Arizona

dude, your wife's costume looks fabulous...i agree about the color variations and i figure the best way to construct this costume is to be sure that whatever you have for colors they complement each other and are in the purple family...

the costume youve got there really came out awesome

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

That is just one awesome Zam! Congrats MonCal and Kathy!!! Definitely a well deserved award there! Wish I had been able to see it in person!

Zam I Am said: View Post
    I should change my name to ZamSnail.
    Sorry... that's my name! I've been working on this costume forever... I get to be ZamSnail!

MonCal said: View Post
    Thanks gang! I appreciate the kudos. Man... this costume is a lot of work though

Yvonne, to be honest I'm not happy with that hose anymore. I need to find the right stuff... or at least something that is more flexible. I have heated our hoses with a heat gun and was able to get them to hold the perfect shape but they keep retaining memory and going back.... pain in the rear....... oh did y'all know there is supposed to be a lace going through the grommet in the front of the cummerbund that ties to the back of the ovary bits to keep them close to your body? Yup... it should be there. We barely discovered that in a a couple promo shots
    So that's what the grommet is for! I thought it was just there to line up with the back of the cumberbun's lacing.

Congrats to you both!

Kathy looked fantastic (both Kathys, in fact!)

From
    Michigan

Awesome Zam!!! I really like it.

From
    florida

Wow- it looks great. Congrats on winning!!!

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL Cal!!!!!!! Great work as always!!!

Todd

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

Looks awesome dude. and well done on the prize

Thanks gang!!! the compliments are greatly appreciated

From
    West Coast, USA

Wow that`s a great zam

Thank you!!

We took some more pics this weekend.

From
    Cordova, TN

Very very nice, be proud of that!

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

Yep... That is just the most awesome costume ... Hands down!!! :thumbup

From
    Chicago, IL

From
    Cardiff, Wales, UK

yeah thats a very nice Zam

By far, the very best of the best zam costume ever made !!! (off course, apart of the originals :P)...

Congratulations mate, you are a real beast !!! and a real inspiration for me ...

Amazing !

Thanks all!! I appreciate it

From
    Northern California

Wow, great photos Cal! Congratulations again! I must say I'm glad my category was separate, no way does my Padme costume even come close to your Zam in accuracy and the sheer amount of talent and skill put into it!

MonCal said: View Post
    After making this costume for the 2nd time I've really learned a thing or two about lighting and how it affects colors. Kay-dee I bet you notice it with your purple gown. Kathy looked like a blueberry or something from willy wonka around most of the convention center.
    Yes, over the years as I have been dying fabric for newer costumes I've really noticed how lighting can make a huge difference in the colors we see. So now when I custom dye things I view my swatches in fluorescent light, incandescent light, day light, and I photograph them with flash too before settling on the closest recipe. It's never going to be perfect. I've gotten over the fact that the colors on my Senate gown are off because that was back when I still bought the best pre-dyed substitute I could off the bolt. I only dyed my velvet and cording on that costume, and took the approach of just trying to use colors that looked good together. In the end it is only the die hard fans with a photographic memory that will ever catch that you don't have on the precisely correct shade of purple. The overall impression is what matters most.