I'd like to start by saying that this site is incredible for information. I've read it all and have soaked up everything said - I'm eternally grateful for everyone sharing their successes and more so their mistakes!
Today I cut up a double shoulder piece of 6oz leather to make the skirt. I used a tool for creating lacing, but I set the width to be the length each square will be, to make strips. I then cut one piece right side up and the next upside down (as each piece isn't exactly square). I hope this makes sense? The pattern I had said the skirt should be 27.5" long, however on me that'd be half way down my shins. Judging on the known height of Leeanna Walsman and scaled to me, the skirt should hang 24". I had just enough leather with enough to test the dyes on.
My local Tandy didn't have purple dye so I will have to mix my own. I'm glad I have plenty of scraps to test on! They also recommended water based dyes as they're more friendly to the environment.
I'm also planning on making my own lacing for the skirt using 2oz pigskin tooling/lining. I don't think I'll be able to make it all one continuous length, so I intend on using barge cement coupled with a few zig zag stitches to create longer lacing. The hide I have is approximately 5.5ft long. I should be able to make plenty of lacing.
Lastly, I bought an 80's style belt with two rows of double grommet holes from a second hand store to hang the completed skirt off. It is bright red; I'm glad the cummerbund will cover that up!
My next step is to buy a 1/4" slot hole punch (I missed this item when I was at Tandy - good thing I bought an elite membership for discounts!) and start punching holes in the 144 pieces of leather I have.
More updates soon. Thanks for reading!