Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 15, 2006, 3:02 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #151

Well, I've been reading this for a few days now... and after seeing these pictures posted, I "unfortunately" have to throw my vote to the "neoprene" side aisle. Unfortunate because it's so blasted hot here!

While the body suit is tight on Zam, it isn't quite like a second skin such as plain spandex would be - there's some padding in the fabric. That fit that the movie Zam has is due 1st to the pattern used, 2nd to the quality of the cutting of that pattern on the fabric itself and 3rd the sewing of the fabric. Last of course is the final fitting which shouldn't be drastic if the pattern was fitted to the person first.

If you use just the plain spandex (even double layered) - it will be more a matter of the fabric fitting the body than the pattern fitting the shape of the body. Hope I'm making sense here...
    Nov 15, 2006, 3:08 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #152

Don't get me wrong benekov ~ double fabric is pretty darned close too. But to have "enough width." (I am leaning toward the neoprene,) but double fabric is NOT like lycra by itself. Once you add adhesive and the second fabric, it acts totally different. Almost like stretch denim.

AWE man! I can't find a swatch of the old neoprene, anyone on the old list want to send me their swatch so I can divvy it up to the new batch of people? I know it's a lot to ask, but I have been looking everywhere and can't find my swatch! Please pm me!
    Nov 15, 2006, 3:13 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #153

Could some of the bagginess at the knees also come from it riding up a little when you walk? I don't know if any of the suits pictured above had stirrups on them that would keep it from doing that or not.....but just a thought.
    Nov 15, 2006, 3:14 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #154

ARG! My post got messed up. The tricot fabric in total is 1.5-2.0 including the nylon backing and the lycra. Not 1.5 neoprene plus plus.. So, in actuallity it's one of the thinnest surf suit thicknesses. Double fabric is at most 1 mm thick. Lycra by itself is at most .5 mm thick, with no laminates.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Nov 15, 2006 at 3:38 PM.
    Nov 15, 2006, 3:31 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #155

Hehehe.. I got it I got it... I know is not just lycra... but the "effect" that we all can see in the REAL ZAM is more widht than the 2 coats.. and I can say that just looking the pics... (I'm shure I could tell it for sure when I receive the swatches :P)...

About the hot, well, I think there are not much hotter places there like here.. I live in Canay Islands, so hot here is a MUST !!! Even that, I'm STILL IN for the neoprene... I love the look that, for example, the MonCal suit has... You just have to be sure to drink enough when using it .

But as always, that's just me... I really want the neoprene version... man, when I see the Zam Wesell pics, it can be clearly seen that the fabric is THICK... I want that !!! (not only the final colour... I want the feeling of the neoprene thickness and its own feeling !!! )
    Nov 17, 2006, 2:12 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #156

Hey guys, I thought that I would be able to ship the swatches out this weekend, but I can't find the original swatch of neoprene that I had. So, someone has been gracious enough from the first neoprene run/batch to send me a swatch that I can cut up and distribute to you all. I have to wait for that swatch to arrive first though :o ::embarrassed:: (yeah, my house is a mess!) I will continue to look in the mean time. Sorry for the delay. The five people with the by their names have still not responded! PLEASE RESPOND! If you have any hesitations/questions before sending me your info, please feel free to ask.
    Quote BFett333 said: View Post
    Could some of the bagginess at the knees also come from it riding up a little when you walk? I don't know if any of the suits pictured above had stirrups on them that would keep it from doing that or not.....but just a thought.
    To my knowledge, none of our suits (ZIA, MonCal, Gaeriel) had stirrups.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Nov 17, 2006 at 2:18 PM.
    Nov 17, 2006, 3:35 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #157

Hmmmmm......might be something interesting to test out to see if that keeps it from riding up so much.
    Nov 24, 2006, 1:56 AM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #158

I am sorry, I got the swatch on Wednesday, but I am celebrating Thanksgiving with my family on Saturday, doing an 8 course traditional chinese cuisine, and it takes all week to make. I can't fit time to goto the post office until Monday with all the swatches. Sorry dudes and dudettes.
    Nov 27, 2006, 1:54 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #159

I am shipping today! You all should get your swatches by the end of the week I hope. Please post your opinions etc. It's very important for everyone to share about thickness etc. And, if anyone has done a pattern, please share in the other thread about how you think the top inner thigh welted pants would be sewn.
    Nov 27, 2006, 3:18 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #160

OLEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!

Great to hear that... I guess it will takes a little more to arrive to my home, but I'm dying to get them...

Btw, was you able to find the neoprene swatches ??? and will we receive the 2 samples ? (3 and 2 layers versions ? )

Thanks a lot !!!
    Nov 27, 2006, 11:05 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #161

Yep, ya'll are getting both swatches, sorry the double fabric is so tiny. Everyone except these slow pokes:

Zam&Jango
    Goldenrod
    Foernakate
    RudyDarthG
    Vader674

I have yet to hear from them about addy's etc.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Nov 27, 2006 at 11:20 PM.
    Nov 30, 2006, 7:51 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #162

ZIA, I have a friend who make costumes for college and teaches there. I will see her next week and ask her what she thinks.
    Nov 30, 2006, 10:30 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #163

Got my swatches today.

I have to say that I like them both. The thicker swatch would seems better to use for the pants but probably too think to be for the shirt.

While the thinner smaller swatch seems a little too thin for the pants but perfect for the shirt.

My vote: Both

However, If one has to be chosen, I would pick the thicker one.
    Dec 4, 2006, 6:14 AM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #164

As discussed via email.....Please put me on the list if someone drops off
    Last edited by sl/tk8456; Dec 4, 2006 at 8:22 AM.
    Dec 4, 2006, 8:02 AM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #165

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH !!!

I'got my swatches today... and all I can say is that I love it !!!

Now... my opinion...

Tricot... Neoprene one: AMAZING !! simply AMAZING !! LOVE IT ... I really have no words... ZIA... I really thought it was way thicker than this... but DAMNED IT !! Is really reall THIN !!! I could imagine you could get it that thin !!! It's amazing !!! I'm used to wearing neoprene suit to surf that was way thicker than that (about 5mm. or so), and I imagined that this fabric would be that thick BUT NOOOOOOO... It's amazing ... I simply love it, and I have no words to describe it... Is perfect for the costume... and the seam test you did show how accurate is this fabric...

2 Layers... : Well, I must admit that I really DONT LIKE THIS FABRIC AT ALL !!! ... yes, ok. it has the same last layer of fabric... ok, it has the same colour, but it has not the same FEELING... the hem for example, in the tricot has a lot of volume, like to original one, but the 2coats is almost flat... I DONT LIKE THAT...

Well, my vote is clear... THE NEOPRENE one ...!!! I have it very very clear... I dont like the 2layer version... Sorry, but I really think is everything BUT accurate .

And to finish my review... a question for you ZIA... I have note that the outter layer of lycra is very very different to the one on the first run... The old one is really amazing... with and almost flat look (I dont know how to explain it properly), BUT the new one, the one of the 2coats, ... has a outter lycra that looks a little STRANGE to my eyes... it has directional waves... some lines in the lycra.. that looks a little bad to my eyes... the lines captures more lights, and show EVEN more the lines, and make a bad contrast, changing the colour substantially !!!

Will be this lycra the FINAL version ???

Is there any way to get the same lycra you used in the first run ???

I think this is something important... althought it can sounds stupid, I really think is very very important !!!

Please, let me know what do you think, and I pray god and all the saints you can solve this and get the same lycra on the first run (which looks more than amazing).

Ben.
    Dec 4, 2006, 1:49 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #166

I don't understand your question, all the double fabric lycra and the neoprene tricot lycra that was given to you all was from the first run, you are over analyzing the lycra and putting your eyeballs up too close to the fabric.
    Dec 4, 2006, 1:55 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #167

Just got my swatches, I looked at the reference pictures and without a doubt think its the thinner of the two. The thicker is just like the picture says, would bulge and not conform to the body as well as a thinner neoprene would.
    Dec 4, 2006, 2:17 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #168

When I get a chance, I will try my best to re-sew a welted seam, and take pics, and you can see the three next to each other. That way, you all can better decide. There are tons of other "thicker" shots too though, that the double fabric (non-neoprene) couldn't accommodate. By the way, on the other hand, people doing "colder" events, would be warm I just went to a Christmas parade, my hands with lambskin gloves were freezing, but my body was warm But on the warm side ack~ events greater than 80 degrees in neoprene is sufferable without cold ice water.
    Dec 4, 2006, 3:07 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #169

Hi ZIA, I didnt want to bother with my observation...

It may be an optic effect... I can also think is due to the lamitation process... If I strech the double fabric.. then the lycra looks like the neorprene one :P ... I guess it's just a matter of the stretching... Optic effect... So, please, accept my apologies.

So please.. excuse me for my comments :P.

P.S. I still thinking the best and most accurate is the neoprene one, and as you have said (ZIA), for some cold days is more than perfect . I'm dying to get my neoprene to start working on it .
    Last edited by Benkenove; Dec 4, 2006 at 3:13 PM.
    Dec 5, 2006, 7:04 AM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #170

Gutted Gutted GUTTED!!! I missed it AGAIN! hahahaha I havent been on the board in a year. Oh man how unlucky am i?!
    Last edited by Langsuir666; Dec 5, 2006 at 1:58 PM.
    Dec 5, 2006, 9:50 AM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #171

I might have to open it up again, so please reply down "please add if someone drops off list"
    Dec 5, 2006, 12:00 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #172

I was definitely wishing for Neoprene for the parade the Ohio Garrison did last weekend... I think it took me 2 days to quit shivering.

BUT... I will never wear my armor in temperatures this low ever again. Too much broke! So, my vote is for the thinner double lamination, so it's more comfortable for events like DragonCon or or local summer cons.

Double for me!!!
    Dec 5, 2006, 12:49 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #173

Now... you see, this just ain't fair... I like the neoprene one too (I think it looks more screen accurate) On the other hand I don't want to end up a puddle of lavender goo every time I troop... Arrgghh!!!! Think it might be easier for me to vote for the neoprene and move someplace colder! Let me think about it a couple more days...
    Dec 5, 2006, 2:30 PM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #174

If it's cold outside you're going to be cold no matter what with any of these options. Kathy was a solid ice cube last March for a parade in Denver. It's the warm weather you may want to consider. But even with warm weather you're still going to sweat where you have things against your body like the leather vest and the armor. It just traps the heat in. Her vest has sweat stains where it was trapped. There are hardly any costumes that aren't hot though!! .. so in the end if you wanna troop in costume you're gonna have to tough it out cold or hot..
    Dec 6, 2006, 1:48 AM - Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch? #175

Got the swatches today and my vote goes towards the thicker neoprene sample from the first run.

Though I agree that what's in the actual suit seems like it's probably somewhere between the two in thickness. Too bad they had alarms at FIDM so we couldn't give the bodysuit a pinch to see how thick it was.

Yeah, the Zam body suit is supposed to be pretty form-fitting, but it's also supposed to have bulge/folds at spots like the knees and elbows. It definetly shouldn't be skin-tight like a plain lycra suit would be and I'm leery of the the double-laminated. (Though I think double-laminated would be pretty perfect for the Spidey costume I'd love to have at some point so that's something to mental note.) Bulky folds show in all of the production photos I've seen; especially at the knees in the one where Leeanna is standing straight. (attached picture 1 & 2)

As for the FIDM Zam, to me it seems like the reason it doesn't show as much wrinkling/bulging is because it didn't have the same proportions as Leeanna and was a tad bigger than she is. That mannequin did have rather the zameltoe after all and the pants are stretched tight over the knees. (picture 3)

In the MonCal version posted earlier in this thread, the way the 1st-run fabric is folding looks close to spot-on aside from the extra bagginess at the sides of the knees. How form-fitting it gets while still wrinkling in the right places I think probably comes down to the pattern and seamstress skill level.

Another thing I'm noticing is the creasing in the offical Zam's fabric around major joins due to general wear. (picture 4) I don't think the double-laminated would be able to do that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	officzam_stand.jpg 
Views:	967 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	14321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	officzam_kneel.jpg 
Views:	1297 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	14322   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fidm-zam.jpg 
Views:	1007 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	14323  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	officzam_creases.jpg 
Views:	958 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	14324