Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Neoprene under suit-second batch?

From
    New York, New York

Re: Neoprene under suit-second batch?

*bump* Come on people, I really need this to happen.... More of you want Zam suits, I just know it.

Julie
    twitching in great desire to have her new bodysuit done for her garrison's huuuuuge LFL museum event this summer

pm sent

I was hoping to get an actual zam swatch to more correctly match somethings before attempting to order from the manufacturers or cut off the list. Sorry that more legwork hasn't been done as far as talking to the manufacturers etc. I just want to get all my swatches in a row..so to speak. Oh, and thanks for the compliments on the colors, if it wasn't for DCB, none of this would have happened the first time

Take your time Zam I Am! This sounds like something you have to put a lot of work into.

From
    Indiana

Please put me down for enough to do 2. I think both of my girls might like to do one.

From
    Ohio

Please add me to the list, too. If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right!

Jo Lynne, Zam Newbie
    here by Iceheart's command

From
    New York, New York

Well, we're up to 13...... SO CLOSE....

Julie
    dragging people in left and right because SHE WANTS THAT NEOPRENE

From
    Salem, Oregon

I am looking forward to this. I hope things don't die on this run.

From
    New York, New York

Ditto. I really, really need this to happen.

Julie

From
    CA

Hello everyone! ^^ This is my first time posting on thedentedhelmet forums

I was wondering if I could be added to the list for the Zam neoprene fabric if it's still happening? I'm working on a Zam costume for myself [ definitely my biggest challenge yet! ] so I'm hoping it's not too late to join this list ^^;

Zam I Am said:
    Sorry, I haven't worked much on the batch of neoprene yet. I had someone very close to me that passed away, and had to fly out to CA to help arrange the funeral. I am still in mourning. So, the things I have had in mind - selling off some of my stuff and getting the neoprene situated, have been put on hold this month. Sorry I haven't worked on stuff as fervently as you are used to seeing me do or respond to. Judz Dwedd, I do intend on sending you your stuff back soon, but for others who I said I would send stuff to, will have to be put on hold. The 501st has just asked me to document the entire costume for their Zam qualifications standards board. Please bear with me as this is also a daunting task. I will do all that I can to help, but I need do deal with personal issues at hand first and foremost.

For newbs, I encourage you all to make sure to read all the old threads if you have any questions. DCB and I have done our best to consolidate the threads into relevant topics, and we do realize many pictures that I have inserted are missing due to the TDH conversion waay back, as well as clearing of personal webspace. Sorry for this. I don't have the time to put them back up. So, if you know that I had posted some pic of my own that you saved, feel free to post it back onto the board for someone.
    Sorry, I will be too busy in March to calculate the numbers and also get the manufacturers to agree to a second run. I will have to do it in April.

Hi all, I have worked on this project today, and called the neoprene company. After looking at the fabric at the FIDM, I honestly think it is a thicker fabric much like neoprene. However, after discussing it with the neoprene company, I don't see how LFL did it. I look at the swatches in the Trisha Biggar book, and the fabric from the trade federation gaurd looks like it could be the same as zam's only a different color. And, it looks like a double laminated layered fabric, not a tri-cot laminated fabric. Which, to me seems more sensible for sewing purposes. The fabric that I have is a tri-cot fabric that is thick, but .05mm too thick it seems, because of the wrinkles in the elbow. It's not much difference, and for those that have suits and the first batch of fabric, you will understand, there is enough to be a difference, but not enough to be dissappointed with what you have. I personally think that the fabric we have is quite close. But yet, there is a difference in thickness. So, the perfectionist in me is still dabbling with prospects of thinning it out via other methods before putting this order through. I asked the lamination company to laminate just a sample of some spandex to some nylon to check the flexibility and difference in thickness and wrinkles and send it to me. If not, then I will have to go to the store and buy two yards and send it to them for test purposes. Then if all else fails, at least I can start calling the other companies to start manufacturing the same product as the first major bolt purchase.

From
    Belgium

Hi Zam I am,

Thanks for all the information. I'm very interested in your neoprene under suit, so please count me in. I don't want to miss it.

From
    NE Florida

If this is still happening, I am interested in getting the neoprene!

I am cutting off the interest list in three weeks. Then I will post the approximate amount per person in US dollars and the dimensions of the fabric bolt you all will recieve. It will probably be just 5 yards this time. If you can't afford around $225.00 per 5 yards & 34" batch (which is the estimated cost last time,) please post and I will take your name off the list. You have to understand, if you are interested, and you take your name off the list, it goes up in price for everyone else. I can't give you a final price until I know for sure who is definately in or out. Those who are overseas, please post that you are overseas and will have to pay extra for shipping unfortunately. Hopefully, my old excel spreadsheet works. I can accept western union. I can accept a US check, or moneyorder. Sorry I don't have a business paypal account. I am only able to accept debit paypal transactions only. Please remember, although I have costumed alot and posted a lot, this is my hobby, I don't do this for a living, so my customer service as far as timing will take longer than usual. And it takes time to manufacture this stuff. So turn around time will not be very quick. Again, this is for fabric ONLY. I am not offering any other services as far as sewing or patterning for the undersuit.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Jun 1, 2006 at 1:29 PM.

From
    NE Florida

Thanks Zam I Am! I am still interested with the estimated price. If anyone else can point me towards a good pattern, I would appreciate that too!

From
    Dune Sea aka. Arizona

What changes will be different from the first batch of fabric that was made? Will the color be the same? Will the neoprene be thinner?

Leia214: There is no single pattern available for this costume. ZIA's and the other's that you've seen were all custom designed and made by a seamstress, a route you may wish to go depending upon your own sewing skills. Neoprene can be difficult to sew on a home sewing machine and this fabric is on the thick side. With that in mind: The pattern for the crop top is basically a modified long-sleeved t-shirt (Since the neoprene is non-stretchy you have to add some more fabric for ease or find a pattern for non-stretch fabric). The pants pattern is more difficult. I'm going for a modified jodhpurs pattern, again taking ease into consideration for the non-stretch fabric we're using.

From
    New York, New York

I'm still in!! I can't WAIT to get this stuff. Hopefully this run will be thin enough that my sewing machine won't die, and if not I can probably always sneak into the costume shop at school and use one of the Industrial machines if necessary. As far as the pattern, I think I'm going to be brave and try drafting my own... We'll see how that turns out.

Julie

Please, if you pm'ed me about neoprene, please post your interest here, there's too much to sift through in my pm box for me to remember who wants just neoprene. Only those listed in the first post will be considered for material. Anyone who pm'ed me please be advised, your name won't make this list unless you posted or will post a message of interest on this thread. I am actually trashing pm's in my inbox attempting to clean house. Maulmaus, This list is for the same fabric as what was in the other thread. I couldn't get it any thinner.
    Last edited by Zam I Am; Jun 2, 2006 at 12:06 PM.

From
    Belgium

I'm still in I'm soooo looking forward to receving them
    I'm interested in buying one up to now, but maybe two, depending on the price...

Cheer ZIA !! ^^

I'm going to have to take my name off of the list. Jango is taking all my money Sorry everyone for making it cost more.

I still think you're awesome Zam I Am for all the stuff you've done.

I think Kim may be interested in this run.

Do you think having fabric in time for C4 is a realistic expectation?

-cris

kimncris said:
    I think Kim may be interested in this run.

Do you think having fabric in time for C4 is a realistic expectation?

-cris
    I think it's realistic

Hey Yvonne,

Thanks for tackling this project again!

I think it is time to upgrade my bodysuit - the color of my leather has faded a bit so if I'm going to be re-coloring the leather, this would be the opportune time to get in on the better fabric!

Is 5 yards enough to make a suit for a size 10 - 12? If so, please put me down as a definite participant.

Thanks!
    Kim
    email: kknight08 at gmail dot com

p.s. <s>how is the tater tot?</s> Nevermind - I just saw his blog. He's getting so big!

From
    New York, New York

Zam I Am said:
    Maulmaus, This list is for the same fabric as what was in the other thread. I couldn't get it any thinner.
    Oh no...

Any ideas on how to eliminate the leg and arm wrinkling, anyone with more sewing knowledge than I?

Julie